Thread: Economic Indicator - Baltic Dry Index

Economic Indicator - Baltic Dry Index

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This indicator has to do with cargo shipping. Fewer ships are leaving their ports loaded with goods. Look at how little cargo is moving relative to July. That's all you really need to know about this indicator. You'll notice that the Baltic Dry Index was relatively low before 2003. We still had manufacturing in this country back then. So, the question is, "WHEN will the shelves be bare?"
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

interesting
    For good times, IM me.

Quote Originally Posted by freelance View Post
    This indicator has to do with cargo shipping. Fewer ships are leaving their ports loaded with goods. Look at how little cargo is moving relative to July. That's all you really need to know about this indicator. You'll notice that the Baltic Dry Index was relatively low before 2003. We still had manufacturing in this country back then. So, the question is, "WHEN will the shelves be bare?"
    Does that only cover Baltic Sea ports, as the name would imply, or all ports?

This index is the most worrisome, in my opinion.

It's a British Index that averages the Supramax, Panamax, and Capesize indexes.

It is a direct and accurate indicator of the demand for total global bulk carrier ships, an extremely rigid and non-elastic foundation of the global raw materials trade.

This is a sign that we are in trouble.

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

Could there be a possibility that ships are doubling capacity of cargo? There have been some scary situations in the Southern US pertaining to overloaded ships. I don't understand how carrying a heavier load is supposed to use less fuel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Could there be a possibility that ships are doubling capacity of cargo? There have been some scary situations in the Southern US pertaining to overloaded ships. I don't understand how carrying a heavier load is supposed to use less fuel though.
    No.

Ship Classification [] Dead Weight Tons [] % of World Fleet [] % of Dry Bulk Traffic
    Capemax [] 100,000+ [] 10% [] 62%
    Panamax [] 60,000-80,000 [] 19% [] 20%
    Supramax [] 45,000-59,000 [] 37% [] 18% w/ Handysize
    Handysize [] 15,000-35,000 [] 34% [] 18% w/ Supramax

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Check out DRYS - 116.00 in July

16.00 today. Dryships its called. My guess is like in most companies with tons of debt that the bondholders will own the companies soon, equity holders will be wiped out of high debt companies. Many debt ridden companies cannot refinance and the government cannot bail em all out. Make that in May vs July.
    Last edited by Johnnybags; 10-24-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Another BAltic Dry... can we combine threads?
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran