Thread: Chris Martenson: Crash-course

Exclamation MUST READ:: Chris Martenson: Crash-course

Chris Martenson: Crash-course

Has anyone seen this and what do you guys think about it?
    Last edited by hazek; 10-20-2008 at 01:19 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    Chris Martenson: Crash-course

Has anyone seen this and what do you guys think about it?
    Two thumbs up.

I have spent no less than three thousand hours studying the global economy, only to eventually come to the same conclusions that Chris briefly, simply, and eloquently explains in under 3 hours.

There is no better series of videos currently available to teach in simple, easy to understand terms, what is happening in the economy, and why.
    "When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Your Financial Future - Market Commentary, Economics, Metals

Anglo Far-East Private Gold and Silver bullion, Numbered Accounts in the Swiss Tradition, Total Privacy, Buy/Sell Gold or Silver Bullion Online, Lloyds of London, Vaults in Switzerland

The Crash Course: Short Video Series to understand why we have financial chaos, and how to protect yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rapidtrends View Post
    Two thumbs up.

I have spent no less than three thousand hours studying the global economy, only to eventually come to the same conclusions that Chris briefly, simply, and eloquently explains in under 3 hours.

There is no better series of videos currently available to teach in simple, easy to understand terms, what is happening in the economy, and why.
    Do you use a stopwatch to time yourself?.....just wondering.
    The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George. I accept the definition of patriotism as that effort to resist oppressive state power. The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility, and out of self interest -- for himself, his family, and the future of his country -- to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state.

Congressman Ron Paul 5/22/07

Damn, why didn't I make a more attractive title of this thread so more people would read it..

Quote Originally Posted by NMCB3 View Post
    Do you use a stopwatch to time yourself?.....just wondering.
    Not exactly, but I do know how many hours a day I study the economy, so I just multiply that our by the numbers of days in a year, minus out holidays and such (only minus out half the weekends, because the other half I study right on through sat and sunday), which gives me a fair estimation of the number of hours I have put into such ridiculousness over the last few years.

Now, the true number is closer to 4000 hours, but I figured as long as I said "over 3000 hours" that would give me a decent margin of error on the conservative side.
    "When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Your Financial Future - Market Commentary, Economics, Metals

Anglo Far-East Private Gold and Silver bullion, Numbered Accounts in the Swiss Tradition, Total Privacy, Buy/Sell Gold or Silver Bullion Online, Lloyds of London, Vaults in Switzerland

The Crash Course: Short Video Series to understand why we have financial chaos, and how to protect yourself

I think more need to see this.

Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidtrends View Post
    Not exactly, but I do know how many hours a day I study the economy, so I just multiply that our by the numbers of days in a year, minus out holidays and such (only minus out half the weekends, because the other half I study right on through sat and sunday), which gives me a fair estimation of the number of hours I have put into such ridiculousness over the last few years.

Now, the true number is closer to 4000 hours, but I figured as long as I said "over 3000 hours" that would give me a decent margin of error on the conservative side.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

Yes I forwarded to everyone I know. Great videos and the economist comment above was spot on... in that he makes it so simple to understand very complex issues. Everyone should watch these.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks for posting the link! A must see for everyone.

I just watched this. Amazingly informative. I feel like I learned far more about the three E's (economics, energy, environment) in a couple hours than I did in the past year of reading books and articles online.

It's also a little frightening. I can hear the clock ticking in my head. Everyone here ought to bookmark that site and watch it when you have a few hours to spare. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow.

bump
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Great video. One of my favorite economics videos, along with Money as Debt (which would have been better without the last 1/3, where it started making factual and logical errors that Griffin covers in "Jekyll Island"). Anyone know if this guy is a libertarian? Or Austrian School?

I think the greatest job that Chris does in his course is (a) avoid long historical analysis that turns off the sheep (b) avoids all conspiracy theories and partisan politics. He repeatedly uses the phrase, "The next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years." Beautifully simple and absolutely correct.

On his personal bio, he states:

Before: I am a 40-year-old professional who has worked his way up to Vice President of a large, international Fortune 300 company and is living in a waterfront, 5 bathroom house in Mystic, CT, which is mostly paid off. My three young children are either in or about to enter public school, and my portfolio of investments is being managed by a broker at a large institution. I do not really know any of my neighbors, and many of my local connections are superficial at best.
    After: I am a 45-year-old who has willingly terminated his former high-paying, high-status position because it seemed like an unnecessary diversion from the real tasks at hand. My children are now homeschooled, and the big house in Mystic was sold in July of 2003 in preference for a 1.5 bathroom rental in rural western Massachusetts. In 2002, I discovered that my broker was unable to navigate a bear market, and I’ve been managing our investments ever since. Since that time, my portfolio has gained 166%, which works out to a compounded yearly gain of 27.8% for five years running (whereas my broker, by keeping me in the usual assortment of stocks, would have scored me a 38% return, or 8.39%/yr). I grow a garden every year; preserve food, know how to brew beer & wine, and raise chickens. I’ve carefully examined each support system (food, energy, security, etc), and for each of them I've figured out either a means of being more self-sufficient or a way to do without. But, most importantly, I now know that the most important descriptor of wealth is not my dollar holdings, but the depth and richness of my community.
    I'm 40. I can't tell you how much his words ring in my head.
    My Blog: http://gilliganscorner.wordpress.com/

Libertarians believe consenting adults have the right to do whatever they want except band together. - Emo Phillips

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just watched the whole thing, which was extremely informative and he presents and repeats certain points in a way that's good for my bad memory. I'd highly recommend this for showing newbies.
    "Governments should pledge to the people, not the other way around." -Me

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." -Marcus Aurelius

Wow...

He makes the case that it doesn't matter what policy the government uses... Austrian or Keynesian... we've already built it up, it has to come back down, and the marginal returns on resources mean that it will come down for the entire world.

He's predicting the collapse of the entire global socio-economic structure within 20 years, and he provides a LOT of convicing evidence for it...

By the time I got to the end of his seminar, I found myself thinking "My God. This can only end in war... countries are going to go to war because resources will be gone... we're going to kill millions of people because we lied to ourselves..." (Not the case he makes BTW...)

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL View Post

By the time I got to the end of his seminar, I found myself thinking "My God. This can only end in war... countries are going to go to war because resources will be gone... we're going to kill millions of people because we lied to ourselves..." (Not the case he makes BTW...)
    That's the only thing about this course I don't believe, is that we have reached peak oil. What about all the oil in Alaska and our own Midwest? (http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/...news2.13s.html) Not to mention the fact that fast electric cars are very affordable to make if not for all the red tape. I think the fight for natural resources is just one of many excuses to go to war. But whatever, it's already been planned.