Thread: Bob Barr

Bob Barr

I'm very confused about Bob Barr, everyone is showing disdain for him but no one can give me a real reason for why I shouldn't vote for him.

I want vote for the candidate that comes closest to where I stand on the issues, and based on what Bob Barr is saying in comparison to other candidates, that would be him.

I'm fully aware of the fact that he was the "anti-libertarian" just a few years a go, and I'm assuming that's why libertarians aren't giving him support now. I know politicians will say anything in order to be president, and if he was running as a Democrat or Republican I would be suspicious about what he said, what is there to be suspicious about when he is running for a third party? Why would he fake a complete 360 on all his beliefs and then run for president with the knowledge that he can't win that way? I don't see any logical motivation for ill intent.

Someone explain to me why I shouldn't vote for Bob Barr, seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Friedman
    Only a crisis, real or perceived, produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    I'm very confused about Bob Barr, everyone is showing disdain for him but no one can give me a real reason for why I shouldn't vote for him.

I want vote for the candidate that comes closest to where I stand on the issues, and based on what Bob Barr is saying in comparison to other candidates, that would be him.

I'm fully aware of the fact that he was the "anti-libertarian" just a few years a go, and I'm assuming that's why libertarians aren't giving him support now. I know politicians will say anything in order to be president, and if he was running as a Democrat or Republican I would be suspicious about what he said, what is there to be suspicious about when he is running for a third party? Why would he fake a complete 360 on all his beliefs and then run for president with the knowledge that he can't win that way? I don't see any logical motivation for ill intent.

Someone explain to me why I shouldn't vote for Bob Barr, seriously.
    It was a very visceral reaction for most, it seems. Since noone decent is going to win this year, you might as well use it on Barr (if you bother voting at all) in hopes that the LP shapes up in the future.

Sorry, I tried, but can't think of a reason why you shouldn't.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

You should vote for him if he's the best choice on the ballot.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I wont vote for him because of his actions to Ron Paul and Ron Pauls press conference. Any true advocate of liberty would have taken that gift horse no questions asked; but not Bob Barr.

He couldnt keep his promise to show up at a little Press conference; what makes you think hed keep his promise if elected president. The small actions speak loud words.

Too bad we can't unify behind ONE candidate. Just vote BB or CB and not BO or JMc.

I will vote for the Libertarian candidate and BO will win.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 10-19-2008 at 06:11 PM.

I'm voting for Ron Paul.
    I'm lucky to have him on the ballot.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by RP4EVER View Post
    I wont vote for him because of his actions to Ron Paul and Ron Pauls press conference. Any true advocate of liberty would have taken that gift horse no questions asked; but not Bob Barr.

He couldnt keep his promise to show up at a little Press conference; what makes you think hed keep his promise if elected president. The small actions speak loud words.
    Then think of it as a long term plan to build the party. There aren't enough electoral votes for Barr to win anyway due to the rigged system, but if the LP gets a decent showing, there will be incentive to do better next time (if there is a "next time"). Notice how the LP itself didn't endorse Barr. They're locked into the stupid process like everyone else. All we can do is hope it somehow magically gets better from the bottom up. *wishful thinking*

If you are in the LP, you can help push for reform at the local level too, if you want to continue to voting charade.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I'm voting for Ron Paul.
    I'm lucky to have him on the ballot.
    You're very lucky!! What state are you in?

I won't vote for him because I don't see him as true non-interventionist when it comes to foreign policy. I don't think he has a complete grasp of world history. His running mate, Wayne Allen Root, has advocated bombing Iran. He's also not too big on ending the War on Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Calpico View Post
    I won't vote for him because I don't see him as true non-interventionist when it comes to foreign policy. I don't think he has a complete grasp of world history. His running mate, Wayne Allen Root, has advocated bombing Iran. He's also not too big on ending the War on Drugs.
    True. But it's a devil's choice, you see. If you don't feel like just hoping the party reforms in the future, you can always just take one of the other 3rd parties...or just not vote! The only real reason to vote (at least for me) at this point is to be a conscientious objector to McBama. The others don't have enough electoral votes to win, except in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You're very lucky!! What state are you in?
    Louisiana

I am not voting for Bob Barr, strictly to try to get the libertarian party to return to it's roots. Right now they are trying to appeal to disenfranchised conservatives. I am going to vote for Charles Jay. The man understands liberty.

However, the third parties need to break the matrix and get 10% of the vote at least to awaken people

Quote Originally Posted by RP4EVER View Post

Chuck Baldwin and the Constiution Party are even less liberty minded. Your reason doesn't hold any real wieght since it's not related to an agenda. You ever think maybe the reason he wasn't there because Nader, and Chuck Baldwin, one a nanny state advocate, the other a theocracy advocate. Baldwin was involved with the Moral Majority, the Constitution Party has a history of pushing for theocracy anti-liberty agenda's. That only leaves green and libertarian party candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by ceakins View Post
    Chuck Baldwin and the Constiution Party are even less liberty minded. Your reason doesn't hold any real wieght since it's not related to an agenda. You ever think maybe the reason he wasn't there because Nader, and Chuck Baldwin, one a nanny state advocate, the other a theocracy advocate. Baldwin was involved with the Moral Majority, the Constitution Party has a history of pushing for theocracy anti-liberty agenda's. That only leaves green and libertarian party candidates.
    QFT.

OP, vote for whoever most aligns with your beliefs. If that's Bob Barr, fantastic. The truth is, (IMO), that many people on this forum were waiting in silence for a reason to hate Bob Barr, and the press conference was their chance. If that didn't happen, Baldwin wouldn't get so much as a murmur here in the liberty movement. He's a theocrat who holds no love for liberty or science.

Isn't it interesting that all these christians preach "forgive and forget" but think Barr should be cast into hell for his past, even when he's apologized and regretted his past actions publically many times?

Bob Barr 08
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.