Thread: Dow would halt at 9292

Dow would halt at 9292

Thanks Congress!

Actually, it will be at Dow 9292, a 10% drop
    Last edited by gaazn; 10-06-2008 at 08:30 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Circuit Breakers

http://www.sec.gov/answers/circuit.htm
    http://www.nyse.com/press/circuit_breakers.html

First Circuit Break is triggered with a 1100 point drop, which is when the Dow is at 9222 (since the open was 10322).
    Last edited by TheEvilDetector; 10-06-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    "A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity." - Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilDetector View Post
    thanks!

It's like a "whoa there fella, lets take a break and think about it" type of thing
    A name is a designation given to property by the owner thereof, as I don't have an owner I can't possibly have a name.
    Do you have a name and if so, who is your owner?

Jesse Ventura Forums

any circuit breakers on the DAX?

Interesting! Does this also apply to market rallies to limit mass or panic buying in times of serious market upsurges and volatility?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomRings View Post
    Interesting! Does this also apply to market rallies to limit mass or panic buying in times of serious market upsurges and volatility?
    I think it's only applicable to market declines.
    "A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity." - Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomRings View Post
    The market never goes up that fast. People are far more likely to sell in a panic than to buy in a panic. It's easy to forgo a gain, but it's hard to sustain a loss, even if it is only on paper. It's just human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    The market never goes up that fast. People are far more likely to sell in a panic than to buy in a panic. It's easy to forgo a gain, but it's hard to sustain a loss, even if it is only on paper. It's just human nature.
    I suppose some may be consoled if they admit to themselves (if it is indeed the case) that they are just returning past profits.

That's how I got over 30% loss in a certain investment related to property that I made naively a while ago.