Thread: A return to serious advertisement would be a return to quality in substance

A return to serious advertisement would be a return to quality in substance

Somewhere along the way, the premise was established that Americans love to watch things being destroyed and trashed. We just love eating up the notion that Americans are naturally destructive. Whether it is a building being brought down by explosives, fireworks being exploded, or the "shock and awe" tactic of destroying things by blowing them up with missiles and bombs. There is just something appealing in the idea that while most of the world starves to eat something we Americans would rather enjoy watching the silly gag of throwing our dinners around in a food fight.

It is kind of like the established notion that young people are repulsed at the thought of older people having sex. The point isn't the validity of the assertion but the source of it.

According to biologists, most female birds are naturally attracted to the male birds with the longest tail feathers. When female birds find no such tail feathers, they naturally look for other female birds flocking around the long male tail feathers.

To entrap people into desiring their own destruction, one needs to market the notion as a popular precedent. One can establish this precedent two ways. One way is to attract a crowd of female birds using the actual substance of long male tail feathers while the other way is to contend that the tail feathers exist by gathering together a flock of giggling female birds. In the second example, one advertises popularity to sell an empty box.

While the first example of business is honest marketing, the second should be considered outright deceit. Some say that our entertainment is controlled by outright deceit. Investors in entertainment desire a guaranteed return on their investment. The best way to insure such a return is to force feed the masses poison while reinsuring them such a notion is deliciously popular.

We need to be watchful for this type of deceptive marketing. A prerequisite one should require in advertisement is that it be serious. The tactic of flocking together giggling female birds should signal one that they are being sold an empty box.

Anyway, the big lie being advertised today is the notion that Americans would rather destroy and trash things more than desire to build and fix them.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You missed the mark

But your response implies that you missed the mark in regards to comprehending the point.

Take the death of progressive rock for example. The Beatles established the progressive rock age when they decided to engineer their own recordings. To keep the other bands from following suit in mass, the recording companies allowed them more artistic control in the recording studios.

As a result, it became typical for Pink Floyd to spend seven months in a recording studio engineering such albums as "Dark Side of the Moon." Groups created really long songs which threatened the top ten format.

Eventually the record companies won back artistic control from the groups which put to death a very creative age of substance. Regaining artistic control was important for the record companies because it allowed for ease of advertisement because the length of the songs could be controlled.

This new artistic control led the art business to dressing up a blonde like a slut and enhancing her voice with lots of reverb.

So, the question in regards to entertainment is whether we are really being entertained or whether we are being manipulated. The catalyst can be that of teenage girls being entertained when studmuffins play guitars, which is simple enough; or, the catalyst can be that teenage girls are willing to be manipulated into giving up their money when they are deceived into believing that their peers find a particular studmuffin playing a guitar popular.

When it comes to marketing and our sophistication as American consumers, we have become like little girls who giggle at anything funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Emanuel Watkins View Post
    But your response implies that you missed the mark in regards to comprehending the point.

Take the death of progressive rock for example. The Beatles established the progressive rock age when they decided to engineer their own recordings. To keep the other bands from following suit in mass, the recording companies allowed them more artistic control in the recording studios.

As a result, it became typical for Pink Floyd to spend seven months in a recording studio engineering such albums as "Dark Side of the Moon." Groups created really long songs which threatened the top ten format.

Eventually the record companies won back artistic control from the groups which put to death a very creative age of substance. Regaining artistic control was important for the record companies because it allowed for ease of advertisement because the length of the songs could be controlled.

This new artistic control led the art business to dressing up a blonde like a slut and enhancing her voice with lots of reverb.

So, the question in regards to entertainment is whether we are really being entertained or whether we are being manipulated. The catalyst can be that of teenage girls being entertained when studmuffins play guitars, which is simple enough; or, the catalyst can be that teenage girls are willing to be manipulated into giving up their money when they are deceived into believing that their peers find a particular studmuffin playing a guitar popular.

When it comes to marketing and our sophistication as American consumers, we have become like little girls who giggle at anything funny.
    Perhaps it is BOTH entertained AND manipulated. One does not necessarily preclude nor exclude the other.<IMHO>

"Bread AND circuses".

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    Perhaps it is BOTH entertained AND manipulated. One does not necessarily preclude nor exclude the other.<IMHO>

"Bread AND circuses".
    I was both entertained and manipulated by my X-Mexican wife which amounted to a very poor marriage. Here recently our great divorce hasn't been working out as well which will probably require the presence of a court ordered divorce counsilor. I always felt like she felt like my tail feathers were inadequate while I always felt like Sancho should have left me more refreshments in the refrigerator.

You should note also that the corporate music model has failed. Younger people look to the web, youtube, etc to find new music more than radio/TV, and rightfully so. It's the market correcting itself. You should do some research into the DIY (do it yourself) movement, which I am a part of.

Look at the foolishness in mainstream music as an opportunity to create an alternative. I'm quite sure RP would agree.

I was both entertained and manipulated by my X-Mexican wife which amounted to a very poor marriage. Here recently our great divorce hasn't been working out as well which will probably require the presence of a court ordered divorce counsilor. I always felt like she felt like my tail feathers were inadequate while I always felt like Sancho should have left me more refreshments in the refrigerator.
    Viva la "Jif".