Thread: Need WEBSITE help! (running for GOP office & then NC Office)

Need WEBSITE help! (running for GOP office & then NC Office)

See the following thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155624

I am announcing my run for NC GOP District 2 Chair to be elected in April of 2009; and I will in all probability be running for NC House or NC Senate in 2010.

I need a website with a blog and a forum that can be rudimentary for the District Chair run; but can then be transitioned into my run for NC State Assembly towards the latter half of 2009.

If anybody can help me, please let me know!
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can provide website design, blog, forum and hosting. It's what I do.... Shoot me a PM or email suzu @ inbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    I can provide website design, blog, forum and hosting. It's what I do.... Shoot me a PM or email suzu @ inbox.com
    Thanks so much, I'll do just that.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Posting privileges under review

How does one start a website with all of those things you mentioned? I'd like one too.

Quote Originally Posted by erika View Post
    How does one start a website with all of those things you mentioned? I'd like one too.
    You need:

Domain (www.thisisadomain.com)
    Host (web server connected to internet on static IP)
    Software (blogger and forum backends)
    Designer (someone who can actually make a website that does not repulse people)

Posting privileges under review

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    You need:

Domain (www.thisisadomain.com)
    Host (web server connected to internet on static IP)
    Software (blogger and forum backends)
    Designer (someone who can actually make a website that does not repulse people)

Can you explain these things in more detail please? With links i'd need and all that? thanks

Can you explain these things in more detail please? With links i'd need and all that? thanks
    Um. I honestly don't know how to explain those terms any more clearly than I already have.

OK, a static IP is an Internet Protocol address that does not change from day to day
    a server is a special purpose computer that serves out information
    a backend is the software behind the interface

beyond that I have gone about as clear and detailed as I know how.

These are pretty common things, and I am sure a Google search will yeild about a million hits explaining each one...

And probably to the same depth as I just have above.

I wish I could phrase it in a way you'll understand...but at this point we may be stuck at a language gap.

I've got a re-seller account with the company linked below - which means I can "host" individual websites.

The sites have the same capabilities included in the "pre-installed scripts" section shown here: http://www.jaguarpc.com/shared-hosting/

Scripts are "software" like blogs and forums ect ect. If you read a bit and click around it should help your understanding.

-----------

Scripts shown at the link:

• Fantastico
    • Blogs (wordpress, Nucleus, and more...)
    • Portals/CMS (Drupal, PHP-Nuke, xoops, and more...)
    • Support Scripts (Osticket, Help Center Live, and more...)
    • Shopping carts (OsCommerce, Agora, Zen, and more ...)
    • Forums (phpBB2, XMB, SMF)
    • FAQ (FAQMasterFlex)
    • Guestbook's (Viper Guestbook)
    • Billing Systems (phpCOIN)
    • Image Galleries (4images, Coppermine, and more...)
    • Mailing List (Mailman & PHPlist)
    • Polls and Surveys (phpESP, PHPSurveyor, and more ...)
    • Project Management (PHPProjekt & dotProject)
    • Wiki (PhpWiki & TikiWiki)

• Simple CGI Wrapper
    • Dew-NewPHPLinks
    • Random HTML
    • Moodle
    • Counters
    • Noah's Classifieds
    • Clock
    • Open-realty
    • Countdown
    • phpAdsNew
    • CGIEmail
    • PHPauction
    • FormMail Clone
    • phpFormGenerator
    • Entropy Search and Banner
    • WebCalendar
    • CGI/Java Chat
    • Site Builders

and more...
    Last edited by Mark; 09-16-2008 at 04:09 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @erika

got a crummy old comp around the house?

i use one as a web and file server for a co. i work w/ and the domain is registered through dyndns.com, as I have a regular retail ISP that assigns dynamic IPs.

the IP you are assigned is technically dynamic in that your ISP has a ton of IPs to give out, and yours MIGHT change every once in awhile which will throw your domain (the "somethingsomething.com" part of your web address) off. Dyndns fixes this problem, you simply install the software and run it every once in awhile, to have it update their domain name server.

The fact is that unless you're planning on having tons of traffic, it is not very likely that you will even perceive a slowdown in your upstream. My "server" which is a 9 year old Dell dimension serves files for a medium sized company and acts as a media server for my house (mp3, mp4, avi, iptv, dvds, etc.).

Cheapest and easiest, self-reliant route.

Buy (or get the torrent for) any basic book on CSS and HTML, and you'll be set. If you want a site that looks great consistently, you'll want to create all elements on your site relative to one another. Also, it is best to design your site assuming a screen res. of 800X600 on the user end (don't worry, you'll know what that means on short order).

Then, once you've got a bare bones site up, buy (or get the torrent for) books on the Ruby programming language, and Rails implementation, the combo of which is often referred to as RoR. This will allow you to do cutting edge "Web 2.0" things on your site w/ absolute ease.

////////////////////NOTE//////////////////
    If you're adventurous jump headfirst into Ruby and Rails (two days of studying and practice and you will be off like a race horse), then skip HTML and CSS altogether as they're dinosaurs already. Instead focus on HAML and SASS which are both easier to code, and provide functionality that rip HTML and CSS to shreds.
    ////////////////NOTE//////////////////////

Spend a week, maybe ten days learning these languages, and you'll be flipping out at the progs. and sites you can create in the blink of an eye.

So the steps

1) Cheap Azz Computer (If you don't have one handy, hit your nearest Goodwill Computer Werks, cost... maybe 100 bucks)
    2) Get Server software (Slackware, or for absolute easy-breeze use go w/ Ubuntu Server... both free)
    3) Study/Learn Ruby and Rails, HAML and SASS (or HTML/CSS), JAVA/ActionScript don't hurt
    4) Download the Eclipse IDE for development (ease of use, extensibility, freeware)
    5) Register domain with DynDNS.com
    6) Pwn the Netz
    7) Get elected
    Last edited by constituent; 09-16-2008 at 07:35 AM.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

for designing your site w/ ease, follow

This tutorial for GIMP

Gimp is free image manipulation software that rivals (if not necessarily defeating) photoshop. Again, free.

Gimp is available Right here, there are builds for Linux, Windows and Mac operating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    See the following thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155624

I am announcing my run for NC GOP District 2 Chair to be elected in April of 2009; and I will in all probability be running for NC House or NC Senate in 2010.

I need a website with a blog and a forum that can be rudimentary for the District Chair run; but can then be transitioned into my run for NC State Assembly towards the latter half of 2009.

If anybody can help me, please let me know!
    http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/index.html

You can get hosting with their board for $15/month. For another $5/month they include their blog software that ties into their forum (so users can leave comments to blog entries)

Get that and all you'll need is a designer to modify the forum/website to the look and feel you want.

note: invision power board is one of, if not the best, forum software available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortikhi View Post
    http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/index.html

You can get hosting with their board for $15/month. For another $5/month they include their blog software that ties into their forum (so users can leave comments to blog entries)

Get that and all you'll need is a designer to modify the forum/website to the look and feel you want.

note: invision power board is one of, if not the best, forum software available.
    $20 per month plus a $15 set-up fee for the lite package? That's a big rip-off.

I can provide more than what they're offering for about $20 a YEAR with no set-up fee. It'd be different forum software but hey.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-16-2008 at 04:21 PM.

meh, both php.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    $20 per month plus a $15 set-up fee for the lite package? That's a big rip-off.

I can provide more than what they're offering for about $20 a YEAR with no set-up fee. It'd be different forum software but hey.
    I've never seen any hosting for $20/year.

Generator backup for servers when the power goes out?
    What is the up-time?
    Metered bandwith?
    How much storage?
    ftp?
    emails?
    How is the security?
    What hardware is in this server that costs $20/year?

edit: just as an example, I sent in a ticket that I was getting emails bounced back due to rDNS not matching the DNS. 5 minutes later my host responded that they fixed it.
    Last edited by Mortikhi; 09-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortikhi View Post
    I've never seen any hosting for $20/year.

Generator backup for servers when the power goes out?
    What is the up-time?
    Metered bandwith?
    How much storage?
    ftp?
    emails?
    How is the security?
    What hardware is in this server that costs $20/year?

edit: just as an example, I sent in a ticket that I was getting emails bounced back due to rDNS not matching the DNS. 5 minutes later my host responded that they fixed it.
    I could do it for free too - check my first post in the thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...93#post1683293

I meant through my reseller account - I've never tried a support ticket through an account other than the reseller,
    but I believe it would go to Jaguar's support desk, which is usually super fast

Storage, bandwidth, emails, databases, ftp ect ect are all flexible up to the entire reseller account limits or unlimited - up time has been superb

The 20 $/year was just a random amount - I've got a discount so my reseller acct is $15/month - 25 gig space - 250 GB BW a month

do the math - a couple gigs space and 20 GB BW/month would be about 15 $/yr at cost

Plus, Jag has a GREAT forum community with lots of help: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/
    Last edited by Mark; 09-17-2008 at 08:59 AM.

I tried to respond to your profile visitor message and can't because your "posting privilege" is "under review". So email suzu @ inbox.com

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    I tried to respond to your profile visitor message and can't because your "posting privilege" is "under review". So email suzu @ inbox.com
    she was banned over 1 year ago
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Suzu!!! Didn't we speak some time ago about a donor meter?

re: website -- it's been over a month, and several hundreds of visitors, and my guy still doesn't have one for me yet. I will need to go a different route obviously. I am in desperate need for a website here:

http://nchouse2010.glenbradley.net/

I have three county GOP chairman begging me for a website to link. I had a guy I thought was making me a site, but clearly it isn't being done.

Someone please help!