Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun owners more likely to commit suicide

Gun owners more likely to commit suicide

Suicides are more prevalent in US homes where guns are kept. (It takes a Harvard Doctor to come up with this theory?, And Im sure that’s all it is is a theory)

Doctors at the Harvard School of Public Health have said keeping a gun at home may increase the chances that a person will pull the trigger and commit suicide.
    (Duh is this based upon basic mathematics?)

Following the finding, doctors are asking legislators (mistake!) and psychologists to take a new look at the risks of firearms. (Can you say “Disarm The Public”)

Dr Matthew Miller analyzed four years of data in the US and discovered that the rate of suicides involving firearms in states with more gun owners was very high; up to four times higher for men and eight times higher for women. (Prove it, show me the evidence, where was this data obtained, let me guess, our government?)

However, the numbers of suicides not involving firearms were found to be the same. (Hmmmmm, so let’s ban Knife ownership also?)

This, according to Miller rules out the assumption that anyone serious enough to use a gun could easily resort to another equally effective means of suicide, in the case of not being able to find a gun.

He, in fact, insists that suicide is an impulsive action. (Duh….I’m glad you are a Harvard guy. No one else could have arrived at this difficult conclusion)

New Scientist quoted Miller, as saying: "If people reach for a gun, they don't get a second chance; if they reach for pills, they do." ( Unless they shoot themselves in the foot. Please pass me the cyanide)

Other smaller case studies have reported two- to 10-times greater risk of suicide in homes with a gun, not only for the owner, but also for the spouse and children. (Prove it, show me the evidence)

On a related note

After Suicide, Harvard Alters Policies on Graduate Students

Suicide high among female doctors

The world is insane I tell ya!!
    Last edited by PatriotG; 09-04-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    "Poverty of the state exchequer causes an army to be maintained by contributions from a distance. Contributing to maintain an army at a distance causes the people to be impoverished."
    Sun Tzu

Restore The Republic.Org

PokeTheEye.ORG

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe gun ownership increases the chance of suicide. Killing yourself with a knife requires that you actually exert energy and aggression towards yourself. Pulling a trigger can be much easier.

Of course it's still not a good argument for gun control.

People leaning toward committing suicide are more likely to become Gun owners.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Newsflash: Gun related suicides are committed by people with guns 100% of the time.

In a related story the same astounding correlation may also prove true for gun related homicides, robberys, rapes, and assaults.
    Last edited by SWATH; 09-04-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Has Gun Will Revolt

Yeah, and if you take a bottle of Ibuprofen you will live for a week or so and the cause of death isn't suicide but liver failure.

I say give people a humane way to go.

I hope barack and mccain have lots of guns
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I hope barack and mccain have lots of guns
    Barack Obama probably has never touched a gun. He's the most anti-gun politician to ever run for the presidency. Ever.
    "I am a friend of the Free State Project!" -- Rep. Ron Paul

FreeStateProject.org

For on the ground information about the liberty movement in New Hampshire point your browser to www.RidleyReport.com

Well considering how gun owners are treated it's no wonder.
    If this should be, our final stand,
    we will stand together with pride
    We will honour the past, and fight to the last,
    it will be a good way to die
    It matters not, if the cause is lost,
    and we can not stop the tide
    We will fight to the end, and then fight again,
    it will be a good way to die

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about people within the vicinity of high bridges? I think we should outlaw bridges.

Why would you kill yourself any way other then overdosing? A nice peaceful slumber...

Y'know, unless you're judged after "death".

I have two guns.

Am I more likely to commit suicide twice?
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

That guy should have at least the JAMA study on causes of death before going out in his direction on suicide.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I have two guns.

Am I more likely to commit suicide twice?
    Only if you can pull both triggers at exactly the same time.

What a bunch of bull$#@!. The truth can be found at: http://www.gunfacts.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Jeep View Post
    Well considering how gun owners are treated it's no wonder.
    My thoughts as well.....these gun owners were probably just so depressed from seeing their rights being flushed they could not bear it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotG View Post
    Aw, crap.

Harvard is really pushing winners out of their doors now a days...

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suppose now we shouldn't allow women to become doctors. On that note, we should also stop teens from listening to depressing music, because those who do are statistically more likely to commit suicide.

4 out of 5 doctors surveyed...

Doctors are more likely to die in vehicle accidents involving BMWs and Mercedes.

Doctors should be barred from owning German luxury sedans.

On a related note:

Bowel movements are more likely to flow out of people who eat.
    Peacefully Engaged in Domestic Economic Terrorism Since 2004.

Audit Fort Knox so we will know how much Tungsten backs the FRN!

I think those who live close to a tall bridge have a higher probability actually. Get some rich $#@! to research that.
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

I think this makes sense. I think we have to admit there are certain risks in having a gun in your house. Not to say the benefits don't outweigh the risks. Nonetheless, there are risks.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TodaysEpistleReading View Post
    I think this makes sense. I think we have to admit there are certain risks in having a gun in your house. Not to say the benefits don't outweigh the risks. Nonetheless, there are risks.
    of course it makes sense...

you are more likely to die from a shark attack by going into the ocean as well..

anything can be brought up in a way to SCARE people into submission

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    of course it makes sense...

you are more likely to die from a shark attack by going into the ocean as well..

Especially if the shark is in your swimming pool.
    +

Well since there's an estimated 200 MILLION guns held by private American citizens, I'm not too sure about the validity or relevance of that claimed statistical finding ( so called ). Sounds just a little too much like a "psyop", to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    Well since there's an estimated 200 MILLION guns held by private American citizens, I'm not too sure about the validity or relevance of that claimed statistical finding ( so called ). Sounds just a little too much like a "psyop", to me.
    Unless we stage a "suicide day" or something where all of a sudden our population drops by a couple million...

Cars kill people and pollute the earth, we should get rid of them before guns. I would be happy to be without a car versus being without my guns. Better for our health as well.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless we stage a "suicide day" or something where all of a sudden our population drops by a couple million...

Cars kill people and pollute the earth, we should get rid of them before guns. I would be happy to be without a car versus being without my guns. Better for our health as well.
    Well, you'd better bring a gun with you, if you want to take my car. I'd guess that your odds of success are "iffy", at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    Well, you'd better bring a gun with you, if you want to take my car. I'd guess that your odds of success are "iffy", at best.
    I know better than to take a car or truck with a damn gun rack on the back window and a "Shoot first ask questions later" bumper sticker on it.

I know better than to take a car or truck with a damn gun rack on the back window and a "Shoot first ask questions later" bumper sticker on it.
    Mine has neither of those. I'm just kinda "stealthy" that way.

The claim is not that if you own a gun you are more likely suicidal, but that if you do attempt suicide and happen to also be a gun owner, you are more likely to kill yourself. Not many people recover or get a second chance at life after a gun shot to the head.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by TodaysEpistleReading View Post
    The claim is not that if you own a gun you are more likely suicidal, but that if you do attempt suicide and happen to also be a gun owner, you are more likely to kill yourself. Not many people recover or get a second chance at life after a gun shot to the head.
    Guns are not the preferred tool of choice of the "cry for help" crowd. With a gun you most usually mean it.<IMHO>

Suicide, the sincerest form of self criticism.

People who plan on committing suicide are more likely to buy guns.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast