Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's official: Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps October 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    well considering my harddrive is only 20GB, I am not too concerned
    just like the income tax was only 1 percent when it started

+ watching streaming video uses a lot of bandwidtch
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    No, you should cancel your service if you don't like it and be sure to explain to them why you did it. Like I said, I can't stand Comcast. I'd be happy to know you canceled your service with them.

All I'm saying is that they are perfectly within their rights to charge what they see fit and to regulate their bandwidth as they need to as long as they are up front with the people that they contract with.

And you, as a customer are perfectly within your rights to terminate your service with them so long as you honor any contract you have with them.

How much money they are making is irrelevant. Should government step in and tell Wal-mart what they can charge for the things that they sell? They make lots of money too.

I wasn't trying to paint you as a collectivist, I was just taking this to the logical conclusion. Look at health care for example. People think it costs too much and that people are entitled to affordable health care so what happens? Politicians jump in to the save the day by trying to nationalize it.

All I'm saying is to let the market sort it out. AT&T is about to eat Comcast's lunch anyways real soon.
    The difference between Comcast and Wal-Mart is that Wal-Mart is not given an exclusive monopoly contract by local governments that protects them from competition...and Comcast IS given an exclusive monopoly contract that protects them from competition (at least it is in most localities...that's a common theme with cable companies. Time Warner is the local state-mandated monopoly here). If Wal-Mart pisses you off, you can not only end your business with them, but you can go elsewhere - this is not so in the case of Comcast. Because of this, Comcast's success is not entirely their own - they're making money because they wined and dined politicians for exclusive privileges, not because they're free market winners. Consumers are being forcefully deprived of any alternative cable service by government coercion. If a government has created a monopoly and prohibited competition, then it sure as hell should regulate that company to hell and back. Of course, governments shouldn't create monopolies in the first place, in which case no regulation would be necessary or justified - but when a company is using the force of government to prohibit competition, it ceases to have full claim to property rights, and it should certainly expect the people to use the force of government in retaliation to keep it in line.

Besides, if I wanted to get technical, I could say that since Comcast's cable lines go through public property, they're subject to the whims of whatever entity is sovereign over that public property...and that would be the people and their duly elected local representatives. Comcast may own the cables, but others own the property they buried their cables under.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 09-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well looks like we are going to be screwed with Internet caps here. Looking at no visible option for the caps in our area. We don't use cable television but streaming service and as a homeschool mom to 8 children we will exceed the limit fairly quickly. Feeling frustrated and controlled right now.

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Well looks like we are going to be screwed with Internet caps here. Looking at no visible option for the caps in our area. We don't use cable television but streaming service and as a homeschool mom to 8 children we will exceed the limit fairly quickly. Feeling frustrated and controlled right now.
    I ended up finding out Comacast Buissness Class has no caps, it cost me 5-10 bux more, and the speed is just a little slower, but its certainly fast enough, I stream HD without issues.
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd

Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    I ended up finding out Comacast Buissness Class has no caps, it cost me 5-10 bux more, and the speed is just a little slower, but its certainly fast enough, I stream HD without issues.
    Thanks! I was looking into that yesterday evening with their only other competition in the area wondering what makes one business class. Looks like that will be the way to go then. I don't want to loose our streaming services. Great news about the hd streaming as well. Thanks again!!!
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Thanks! I was looking into that yesterday evening with their only other competition in the area wondering what makes one business class. Looks like that will be the way to go then. I don't want to loose our streaming services. Great news about the hd streaming as well. Thanks again!!!
    They asked for a business name, I just made something up. lol
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Wow, the free market is alive and well in Soviet Murika.

Sucks less than satellite.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Lol! Good to know...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Sucks less than satellite.
    No kidding, my folks live on a major highway in a populated area and can't get any type of internet besides satellite or cell.

They don't call us "The Wal-Mart of Telecom" because we smell like rats and pizza.

I wonder if it only affects 0.01% of their business why would they bother? There must be an end game coming.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Bandwidth caps are just another way to screw the consumer in monopoly / duopoly / limited or no competition situations. I had DSL through verizon and fairpoint in the NE, with no bandwidth caps. Only other internet options there were cable and dialup. Of course, the cable companies were in a heavily regulated duopoly, and were too expensive. verizon was promising to install fios, and had done do in rich areas up and down the coast. A friend who had fios raved about what a great deal it was for the same price of full cable (and of course that there was no bandwidth cap). Living near the downtown of a second-tier city, I received a promotional flier from verizon, asking if I wanted to be put on a waiting list for upgrading my DSL to fios. The hoped for upgrade never happened, and fios never expanded to that area. verizon never went through with their proposed and promised expansions to fios, and appears to have bailed in late 2008 or early 2009. If you're in a verizon / fairpoint area, you can at least get unlimited DSL service at a reasonable price (and perhaps fios, if you're lucky). In 2010, a new CEO at verizon cut a deal to not further compete with the bandwidth capped cable company duopolies.
    http://consumerist.com/2010/04/24/ve...email-the-ceo/
    https://routingbyrumor.wordpress.com...-neighborhood/
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/27/v...ocations-to-m/
    http://consumerist.com/2013/12/11/do...town-says-ceo/
    http://www.fiberexperts.com/fios-availability.html
    http://www.wired.com/2013/12/verizon_fios/

The area I live now is att territory, with a cable company monopoly. Both with the dreaded bandwidth caps, of course. Both also told me they did not offer unlimited commercial accounts. There are several smaller DSL providers in the general area (and dialup of course), but none of them happen to service my "bad part of town". Fortunately, there is one ISP running a wireless / dish based network with DSL quality speeds and no bandwidth cap. This company seems to have excellent coverage over an entire metro area, and adjacent rural areas. Unfortunately they want a $200 deposit (for the site survey and dish install) in the form of a credit card (that I of course don't have, lol) to get set up with them.

google is putting in a fiber optic network in the Kansas City area. Not wanting to do business with them if they happened to expand their network, I would much rather see competition come from other directions. You get more data each month from an unlimited DSL speed connection than any other option that is bandwidth capped. I've been drooling over wanting fios for years, if it doesn't come from google. Protection of cable duopolies / monopolies is the only reason we have these silly bandwidth caps.
    http://www.wired.com/2013/04/google-fiber-wicked/
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    I wonder if it only affects 0.01% of their business why would they bother? There must be an end game coming.
    Foot in the door. Bandwidth usage will only increase.

Compare to your phone where the data plan only allows for 10 gigs of transfer. Expect these limits to drop lower and lower and lower until the internet becomes completely unusable by the majority of americans. They will eventually block all traffic to this site and any other site they deem unfit, pass along any additional costs for watching Netflix on to you, and charge you the maximum rate for minimum service / quality.

My grandma, what a large bandwidth cap you have!

All the better to track you with, my dear.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12