Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official: Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps October 1st

It's official: Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps October 1st

It's official: Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps October 1st

By Jacqui Cheng | Published: August 28, 2008 - 04:16PM CT

Comcast has announced that it will in fact be introducing bandwidth caps to all residential customers. The cap, which will go into effect as of October 1, will be 250GB per month. Comcast justifies the decision by saying that it's "an extremely large amount of data," and that a very large majority of customers will never cross it.
    Related Stories

* Comcast mulling metered access, 250GB monthly bandwidth caps
    * Comcast launches 50Mbps broadband... for $150 per month
    * Comcast speaks out on bandwidth caps, says they only affect 0.01% of users

In fact, according to Comcast, this is actually the same policy that is already in place, except with more explicit numbers as to what is allowed and what isn't. "As part of our preexisting policy, we will continue to contact the top users of our high-speed Internet service and ask them to curb their usage," the company said in a statement sent to Ars. "If a customer uses more than 250GB and is one of the top users of our service, he or she may be contacted by Comcast to notify them of excessive use."

This announcement has been widely expected since at least May of this year, after the whole brouhaha went down with P2P throttling and the FCC fallout. Comcast had originally argued that that the FCC had no authority to block Comcast's process, but ultimately decided on its own to stop interfering with P2P traffic. The company also joined in with other ISPs in trying to devise a P2P user's bill of rights and contemplated the use of P4P software.

Comcast customers that make heavy use of their Internet connections—myself included—are sure to find themselves somewhat alarmed at the prospect of being capped. After all, perfectly legal things like movies from iTunes and Netflix, online music stores, massive software updates, and other media-heavy applications do suck up a lot of bandwidth. Comcast insists that the 250GB cap is enough to send some 50 million e-mails, download 62,500 songs, or download 125 standard-definition movies. Okay, so if a cap is going to be enforced, 250GB isn't that bad. It beats the 60GB caps and lower caps seen elsewhere in North America and it's a nice change from the company's previous etherial and mysterious caps. Still, investing in the infrastructure necessary to alleviate the need for caps is a better option for everyone involved.

In a statement e-mailed to Ars, Free Press called the caps "relatively high," but said they were also an indictment of current US broadband policy. "If the United States had genuine broadband competition, Internet providers would not be able to profit from artificial scarcity‚ they would invest in their networks to keep pace with consumer demand," said Free Press research director S. Derek Turner. "Unfortunately, Americans will continue to face the consequences of this lack of competition until policymakers get serious about policies that deliver the world-class networks consumers deserve."

In May when the cap was first rumored, there was also buzz that Comcast might try to charge customers $15 for every 10GB they went over the limit. As far as we can tell from Comcast's announcement and the accompanying FAQ page, that is not the case... yet, anyway. Even so, Comcast's honesty with the 250GB cap will probably only go so far, and customers with the option to do so may end up turning to an ISP such as AT&T, Verizon, or Qwest that has the infrastructure available to offer broadband without bandwidth limits.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Email call em write em to they change their mind.
    Keep up the good work everyone, we all play a part; the world is watching and we are on stage!

http://www.endthefed.us/

www.dailypaul.com

http://www.prayforpaul.com/prayers.html

www.campaignforliberty.com

instead of asking them to change their minds, just cut off your subscription and get Fios

Raditude

I would change, but Fios isn't available in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by Raditude View Post
    I would change, but Fios isn't available in our area.
    Same here....Comcast has a monopoly here. Verizon charges about 1/3 as much but refuses to come to our town. I tried to get satellite broad-band but all the companies say that if you're able to get any sort of high-speed Internet they won't provide their service.

It's a real bummer.

We really get socked hard....we don't want or have the TV subscription and Comcast punishes us for that.
    Last edited by 123tim; 08-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.

250G/mo is less than 1 G/day. That is not a lot these days. A 10min YouTube is anywhere between 30-100mb or 0.03 to .1 G. So about 10 to 20 YouTubes a day is your curfew.
    Cheers,
    mark...

I am glad I have a long range WIFI connection directly to a T line backbone hehe.

I smell the MPAA in this decision

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by voytechs View Post
    250G/mo is less than 1 G/day. That is not a lot these days. A 10min YouTube is anywhere between 30-100mb or 0.03 to .1 G. So about 10 to 20 YouTubes a day is your curfew.
    I think you might be off by 7.3 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by voytechs View Post
    You mean I can only watch three hours of Youtube videos a day?!?!?

Hell, it's Comcast's bandwidth. At least they're begin honest about the rate limiting this time. Turn off your service if you don't like it.

I have 3MB TDS Telecom with bittorrents running 24/7 and I rarely exceed 50GB a month. 250GB a month is fair IMO and I hate Comcast with a passion.

Although a better solution might be to use QOS to put P2P traffic at the bottom of the queue so all other traffic gets priority. That's what I do at my house. I also rate limit the outbound speed of my torrents.

these are public utilities, with monopoly protection.

they stated they have been doing this... however now they will start enforcing it.
    Central Florida Politics

My comments are my own and do not reflect a candidate or a group.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Hell, it's Comcast's bandwidth. At least they're begin honest about the rate limiting this time. Turn off your service if you don't like it.

I have 3MB TDS Telecom with bittorrents running 24/7 and I rarely exceed 50GB a month. 250GB a month is fair IMO and I hate Comcast with a passion.
    just wait it will get pushed down more and more if you accept it just like taxes keep goin up its called incrementalisim

im firing comcast

this will not stand
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

That's why in a week I'll have Quest FIOS.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    just wait it will get pushed down more and more if you accept it just like taxes keep goin up its called incrementalisim

im firing comcast

this will not stand
    The difference here is of course that taxes are collected by the government with force. Comcast doesn't send armed goons to take you to jail if you cancel the service.

I work for an educational ISP. We get huge discounts for bandwidth and it's still expensive. Comcast has to pay a lot more for bandwidth than we do. If people are sponging it all up with P2P and forcing them to buy more bandwidth then they will have to raise rates to customers.

I suppose we could socialize the costs of the internet and give it free to everyone. We could even have a Constitutional amendment saying "The right of free internet with all the bandwidth you want shall not be infringed."

25gb limit, then slowed. For like.. $89.95

Quit your whinging..
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheDirt View Post
    I think you might be off by 7.3 GB.
    8+ GBs per day
    you needn't open every door in the asylum to realize that you are in a madhouse

Current and ex Alex Jones listeners
    Where do you place this guy vis-a-vis AJ ? 1 2

Guest: Eustace Mullins

Quote Originally Posted by orafi View Post
    instead of asking them to change their minds, just cut off your subscription and get Fios
    Uh, yeah, sure. I would be paying MORE for 5 gigs compared to 250 gigs from Comcast. All Fios offers in my area is broadband wireless. I have that PLUS 250 gigs for about $45 compared to $59 for 5 gigs of Fios.

Where I live, Comcast is about the only game in town.
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

The difference here is of course that taxes are collected by the government with force. Comcast doesn't send armed goons to take you to jail if you cancel the service.

I work for an educational ISP. We get huge discounts for bandwidth and it's still expensive. Comcast has to pay a lot more for bandwidth than we do. If people are sponging it all up with P2P and forcing them to buy more bandwidth then they will have to raise rates to customers.

I suppose we could socialize the costs of the internet and give it free to everyone. We could even have a Constitutional amendment saying "The right of free internet with all the bandwidth you want shall not be infringed."

i guess that scince i wont go to jail by not taking part in their service i should just accept it then?

dont try to paint me as a collectivist i never said it should be free.

and dont try to make me think that they arent makin money hand over fist either.
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd

So? It's not a free market.

i guess that scince i wont go to jail by not taking part in their service i should just accept it then?

dont try to paint me as a collectivist i never said it should be free.

and dont try to make me think that they arent makin money hand over fist either.
    No, you should cancel your service if you don't like it and be sure to explain to them why you did it. Like I said, I can't stand Comcast. I'd be happy to know you canceled your service with them.

All I'm saying is that they are perfectly within their rights to charge what they see fit and to regulate their bandwidth as they need to as long as they are up front with the people that they contract with.

And you, as a customer are perfectly within your rights to terminate your service with them so long as you honor any contract you have with them.

How much money they are making is irrelevant. Should government step in and tell Wal-mart what they can charge for the things that they sell? They make lots of money too.

I wasn't trying to paint you as a collectivist, I was just taking this to the logical conclusion. Look at health care for example. People think it costs too much and that people are entitled to affordable health care so what happens? Politicians jump in to the save the day by trying to nationalize it.

All I'm saying is to let the market sort it out. AT&T is about to eat Comcast's lunch anyways real soon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, you should cancel your service if you don't like it and be sure to explain to them why you did it. Like I said, I can't stand Comcast. I'd be happy to know you canceled your service with them.

All I'm saying is that they are perfectly within their rights to charge what they see fit and to regulate their bandwidth as they need to as long as they are up front with the people that they contract with.

And you, as a customer are perfectly within your rights to terminate your service with them so long as you honor any contract you have with them.

How much money they are making is irrelevant. Should government step in and tell Wal-mart what they can charge for the things that they sell? They make lots of money too.

I wasn't trying to paint you as a collectivist, I was just taking this to the logical conclusion. Look at health care for example. People think it costs too much and that people are entitled to affordable health care so what happens? Politicians jump in to the save the day by trying to nationalize it.

All I'm saying is to let the market sort it out. AT&T is about to eat Comcast's lunch anyways real soon.
    again you seem to be insinuating (while saying your not) that i want socialized internet because i am canceling my service and speaking out on it
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    That's a good article.

I had lunch with an At&t rep a week or so ago and he was telling me that the only thing holding AT&T back from offering TV a la carte was State and Federal agencies fearing that they would lower prices so much that the money they collect on fees and taxes would be in jeopardy.

AT&T doesn't have the type of bandwidth constraints that Comcast has. Unfortunately, unless I move I won't be able to get AT&T service. Some of the Wi-Max technology looks promising though.

again you seem to be insinuating (while saying your not) that i want socialized internet because i am canceling my service and speaking out on it
    rock on!

My apologies. I went back and looked at what you originally said and it appears I took it the wrong way.

As I said earlier, I work at a University as a network engineer and we are also an ISP for the state. It appears I may be a little overly sensitive on this issue. As you can imagine, most of the people I work with are very pro network neutrality so I guess I'm just used to being on the defensive about it.

Again, sorry about that.

My apologies. I went back and looked at what you originally said and it appears I took it the wrong way.

As I said earlier, I work at a University as a network engineer and we are also an ISP for the state. It appears I may be a little overly sensitive on this issue. As you can imagine, most of the people I work with are very pro network neutrality so I guess I'm just used to being on the defensive about it.

Again, sorry about that.
    no prob

thanx
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd

well considering my harddrive is only 20GB, I am not too concerned
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast