Thread: American Solutions platform.

American Solutions platform.

Michigan just had it's state convention. We were given 1 week's notice about the platform that Newt Gingrich put together.

http://www.americansolutions.com/gen...6-c6c7ade635a3

We quickly started e-mails flying and organized to get our delegates to vote it down.

We got a unanimous vote of 35 to -0- for turning it down. The whole state voted it down 200 something to 400 something. (There are still some lemmings outthere
    lol)

Read the whole thing and please post your opinions. They use some pretty words and talk about principles not constitutional repeals or legislation.
    "And there's a greater burden on you than the average person because you know better. So you have an obligation to spread this message, others don't know any better so they don't have this obligation. You have, you are now responsible because you have the message, you know what is right, you know what has to be done, and you know that it will be dependant on you to do it." ......Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I couldn't even get past the 1st section which states:

Government clearly has to change the way it operates and bring in ideas and systems
    currently employed to increase productivity and effectiveness in the private sector.
    gov't should have no action in trying to affect the 'productivity and effectiveness' in the private sector! That's exactly the problem now!

And WTF is this, give 'prizes' to companies that do what companies have always done, funded with tax dollars???

★ Prizes should be given to companies and individuals that invent creative ways to solve
    problems.

★ We support giving large financial prizes to companies and individuals who invent an
    affordable car that gets 100 miles to the gallon. (77 to 15)

★ We support giving a large financial prize to the first company or individual who invents new
    ways to successfully cut pollution. (79 to 18)

★ We support giving a large financial prize to the first company or individual who invents a
    new, safer way to dispose of nuclear waste products. (79 to 16)
    Last edited by RSLudlum; 08-23-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Other states encounter this?

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post

gov't should have no action in trying to affect the 'productivity and effectiveness' in the private sector! That's exactly the problem now!

And WTF is this, give 'prizes' to companies that do what companies have always done, funded with tax dollars???
    Now you know why we voted it down!

They waited til an hour and a half after the convention was supposed to end before they brought this up for a vote.

A lot of the delegates had left already, but we were told that only the people that were there was needed to vote for it.

I think they thought all of us "new" republicans would be gone to the Republican Liberty Caucus meeting that was held at the time the convention was to end.
    We stayed and stayed and stayed til they brought it up for a vote. Then we joined up with the RLC down the road. Hurrah!
    "And there's a greater burden on you than the average person because you know better. So you have an obligation to spread this message, others don't know any better so they don't have this obligation. You have, you are now responsible because you have the message, you know what is right, you know what has to be done, and you know that it will be dependant on you to do it." ......Ron Paul

Government is, by its very nature, a parasite. It is unable to produce wealth of its own without coercion and theft, and is a parasite on the productive classes of society. Newt and the Republican Party somehow believe that government can be used for the 'good' of society, if only it is used in the 'right' way, yet its very nature makes it a burden on society regardless of the intent or how it operates.

bump

bump

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post

That's poorly written, but it means government would improve by using the productivity and effectivness that exists in the private sector

Wisconsin approved much of America's Solutions for its' state platform, however, we removed the prizes section entirely.

After speaking to state assemblymen in the last 6 months, I've come to the conclusion state platforms and resolutions are largely shows to give the perception of input from the party base. The real party direction at the state level comes from executive board (usually some of the largest donors).

I'm anxious to see what direction CFL gives in this regard, but right now it seems we shouldn't get distracted or spend time on platforms and resolutions. Rather, focus on finding the right candidates and getting them elected.

Good for y'all!! In GA, Convention Chairman Randy Evans is a big pal of Newt's. Delegates I'd never seen before, so I'm not sure if they were even Ron Paul supporters, spoke against the resolution, saying that government is the problem, not the solution. When it was time to vote, there were some ayes, but there were an overwhelming amount of nos, and it was very obvious to the crowd that the nos won. But, Evans said, "The ayes have it," and the entire room erupted in BOOS. At the beginning of the discussion of the next several resolutions, delegates kept bringing up the unfairness of the American Solutions resolution vote, Evans refused to go back to it, and the entire room would boo him again. He showed the entire room what a cheater and a fraud he is.

Robert's Rules

Quote Originally Posted by mlmvh View Post
    Good for y'all!! In GA, Convention Chairman Randy Evans is a big pal of Newt's. Delegates I'd never seen before, so I'm not sure if they were even Ron Paul supporters, spoke against the resolution, saying that government is the problem, not the solution. When it was time to vote, there were some ayes, but there were an overwhelming amount of nos, and it was very obvious to the crowd that the nos won. But, Evans said, "The ayes have it," and the entire room erupted in BOOS. At the beginning of the discussion of the next several resolutions, delegates kept bringing up the unfairness of the American Solutions resolution vote, Evans refused to go back to it, and the entire room would boo him again. He showed the entire room what a cheater and a fraud he is.
    Sounds like even Robert's Rules of Order would not even have helped at your convention. I hate it when that happens.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperpete1 View Post
    Michigan just had it's state convention. We were given 1 week's notice about the platform that Newt Gingrich put together.

http://www.americansolutions.com/gen...6-c6c7ade635a3

We quickly started e-mails flying and organized to get our delegates to vote it down.

We got a unanimous vote of 35 to -0- for turning it down. The whole state voted it down 200 something to 400 something. (There are still some lemmings outthere
    lol)

Read the whole thing and please post your opinions. They use some pretty words and talk about principles not constitutional repeals or legislation.
    I was there yesterday. Did you feel like the whole process was a mess? When Terie Elbers sold me with her speech for the position of State board of Education. She talked about horrors of standardized testing and bad money management at the education department. But when it came to voting we did the first round to pick our favorite then we were supposed to vote again for the next one to fill the second nomonie position and they just did a floor vote and *boom* it was decided. I didn't even know what was going on, then it was over.

It seemed to me that the whole process was setup to get the desired outcome. I liked the fact that even the mention of the platform resolution brought on a negative tone inside the whole convention. There was no way that thing was going to pass. I still believe that the only reason it didn't pass was due to the illegal immigration portion of the resolution. And if not for that then it would have passed, sadly. Because the whole thing stinks. It's very vague and left up to interpretation. Also Sal Anuzis did not seem to happy about the outcome. That how I know that we voted the right way on this particular issue.

I was actually standing next to a guy who said he voted for Ron Paul while he was standing up to vote yes on this. I just looked at him in disgust. I proceeded to ask him how he could vote for RP and then vote yes for this. He did not reply.

A link to the resolution for those who haven't seen it yet:
    https://www.1888932-2946.ws/MIGOP/E-...n%20People.pdf

Whole thing a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    I was there yesterday. Did you feel like the whole process was a mess? When Terie Elbers sold me with her speech for the position of State board of Education. She talked about horrors of standardized testing and bad money management at the education department. But when it came to voting we did the first round to pick our favorite then we were supposed to vote again for the next one to fill the second nomonie position and they just did a floor vote and *boom* it was decided. I didn't even know what was going on, then it was over.

It seemed to me that the whole process was setup to get the desired outcome. I liked the fact that even the mention of the platform resolution brought on a negative tone inside the whole convention. There was no way that thing was going to pass. I still believe that the only reason it didn't pass was due to the illegal immigration portion of the resolution. And if not for that then it would have passed, sadly. Because the whole thing stinks. It's very vague and left up to interpretation. Also Sal Anuzis did not seem to happy about the outcome. That how I know that we voted the right way on this particular issue.

I was actually standing next to a guy who said he voted for Ron Paul while he was standing up to vote yes on this. I just looked at him in disgust. I proceeded to ask him how he could vote for RP and then vote yes for this. He did not reply.

A link to the resolution for those who haven't seen it yet:
    https://www.1888932-2946.ws/MIGOP/E-...n%20People.pdf
    Yeah, our group questioned the fact that they were conducting business (asking for a verbal vote) while delegates were up voting at the tables. It was very difficult to hear the speakers with the loud air conditioners and people standing behind those seated, talking all the while.

It was great fun meeting people in the movement we never met before and celebrating our victory at the RLC meeting after.

Doing our job as state delegates

Quote Originally Posted by raystone View Post
    but right now it seems we shouldn't get distracted or spend time on platforms and resolutions. Rather, focus on finding the right candidates and getting them elected.
    Other than show we absolutely did not want any of the platform, the only thing we were at the state convention for, was to vote on Dept. of Education head and positions of our different universities' boards.

So other than spreading the message and possibly questioning John McCain when he comes to Michigan this week, our job was done.

We have no CFL endorsed candidates that are left in the running here.