Thread: Why borrow money?

Why borrow money?

Hello all,

If the FED will monetize Treasury debt upon request, why does the US borrow money from foreign nations to fund itself? Essentially Congress still has the right to "coin money"...the just have to ask the suits at Central to print some up!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They don't want inflation to approach Zimbabwean levels, even if it's already too high.
    Ron Paul's best political writing? (link)

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    They don't want inflation to approach Zimbabwean levels, even if it's already too high.
    Exactly - thats called seigniorage, and thats how hyperinflation occurs. Thats the worst idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherone View Post
    Hello all,

If the FED will monetize Treasury debt upon request, why does the US borrow money from foreign nations to fund itself? Essentially Congress still has the right to "coin money"...the just have to ask the suits at Central to print some up!
    Probably because if they did do that, foreigners and other people holding gov'ment bonds would dump those bonds and the dollar would crash because then there seriously wouldn'y be anything of value backing the dollar.

it's the same thing with the question "If the government pays for most of what it does via inflation, why not pay for all of it via inflation?"

Simple; the government wants to keep up the illusion; if there were 0 taxes, yet the government was incessantly giving out foreign aid, instituting welfare programs, and the like, people would wonder "where do they get this money? We're not being taxed"...not only that, but as pointed out here, it would cause hyper-inflation in a relatively short order of time.

Of course, if the people are totally dumbed down, and on a level as presented in G. Edward Griffin's book...then they could get away with it, as everyone is 100% dependent on the government for everything.

I tend to think that this type of system will not appear until we all carry around cards (or we have implanted chips on our wrist or foreheads), and there is literally 0 currency in circulation (all 1's and 0's)...it's all contained on the chip/card.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    it's the same thing with the question "If the government pays for most of what it does via inflation, why not pay for all of it via inflation?"

Simple; the government wants to keep up the illusion; if there were 0 taxes, yet the government was incessantly giving out foreign aid, instituting welfare programs, and the like, people would wonder "where do they get this money? We're not being taxed"...not only that, but as pointed out here, it would cause hyper-inflation in a relatively short order of time.

Of course, if the people are totally dumbed down, and on a level as presented in G. Edward Griffin's book...then they could get away with it, as everyone is 100% dependent on the government for everything.

I tend to think that this type of system will not appear until we all carry around cards (or we have implanted chips on our wrist or foreheads), and there is literally 0 currency in circulation (all 1's and 0's)...it's all contained on the chip/card.
    You're crazy. That would NEVER happen.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bruno1969 View Post
    You're crazy. That would NEVER happen.
    Thousands of men and women have come and gone here in our country's history, and except for the few, most go unnoticed and remain nameless in the pages of history, as I am sure I will be. -Ron Paul (1984)

From what I understand, the interest the Treasury pays on its notes, bills and bonds to foreign lenders is much higher than the token interest it pays to the Fed. Since both borrowing money from abroad and monetizing debt create inflation as both increase the current money supply, it seems more prudent to owe money to a US government created institution than to foreign countries who return with our dollars and buy up our real assets.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's no such things as a free lunch.