Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

I received this in an email and thought it was interesting.

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 – Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2007 – School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counsellors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 – Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2007 – Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario:
    Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 – Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office where he gets a reprimand and a good paddling. He returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2007 – Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused as well and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario:
    Mark has a headache so his Mom gives him two aspirin with instructions - go to school and take two at lunchtime.

1957 - Mark takes the two aspirin at lunchtime - no more headache.
    2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. His mother is arrested for negligence and child abuse. His car searched for drugs and weapons and is placed in a police compound with a $250 charge for towing and $50 per day storage fee.

Scenario:
    Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
    2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.
    2007- BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his 3rd grade teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. His parents sue the teacher, the principal, the local school board, the town, the county, and the state for millions. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1957: Sally is schooled at home. It works.
    2007: Sally is schooled at home until her parents are arrested and Sally is placed in foster care. The state gets money from the federal government for having another kid in their foster care system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Ain't that the freaking truth.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Is it wrong that some of this was funny?

For some of those, though, the 1957 and 2007 versions both sound bad.
    Ron Paul's best political writing? (link)

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

I didn't laugh. The truth hurts...

This $#@! pisses me off. Nanny state everywhere....

Hmmm now check out the correlation I found... say Television (msm) - look at the saturation per country

Television sets per 1000 people of the world.

Nanny state in every single country that is on the darker side of blue.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Scenario:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 – Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    In 1982 this happened to me. Got into a fight with a guy and then shook hands afterwards. (I don't think that either of us actually "Won") We were friends from then on. Makes me wonder where he's at today.

Sometimes (often actually) I look back at those days and think of how much simpler life was then. Little did I know that everything was aligning to put us where we are today.
    Last edited by 123tim; 08-25-2008 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Snip....

For some of those, though, the 1957 and 2007 versions both sound bad.
    Just wondering.....

Which 1957 versions sound bad to you?

Thanks.

Ok. I went back and reread the post. Maybe the "ant" version for me - I've always been against indiscriminate killing for entertainment.
    Last edited by 123tim; 08-25-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Questions: What percentage of this year's seniors and last year's high school graduates could pass the following 8th grade test required in 1895, even if the few outdated questions were modernized? How many college students could pass it? For that matter, what percentage of high school teachers could pass it? And - - what percentage of today's schools have standards for promotion from 8th grade equal to or tougher than those required in 1895?
    8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, Kansas - 1895
    This is the eighth-grade final exam* from 1895 from Salina, Kansas. It was taken
    from the original document on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society
    and Library in Salina, Kansas and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

Last edited by Truth Warrior; 08-25-2008 at 05:44 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 123tim View Post
    Just wondering.....

Which 1957 versions sound bad to you?

Thanks.

Ok. I went back and reread the post. Maybe the "ant" version for me - I've always been against indiscriminate killing for entertainment.
    Fistfights don't sound so great but I guess the post assumes things work out ok.

Jeffrey not being still in class - I'm not saying the 2007 version is good but the 1957 version could be a problem.

Billy breaking the window - Again I guess the post assumes things work out ok.

I agree with you about the ants, although I'm surprised that's the first one you thought of...I'm also a little surprised to see that opinion here.

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Those were red ants, guys. Something tells me neither of you have experience with them, or you wouldn't have so much empathy for the little bastards.

I damn near came out of my pants on an Austin street because of them. They'll torture your pet. You won't get more empathy from me by defending them than if you showed sympathy for the devil.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-25-2008 at 06:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Blow them to hell. I'll provide the fuel & matches.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Worthy Threads:

Fistfights don't sound so great but I guess the post assumes things work out ok.
    Funny, I was in one fight in my entire life. I never even considered this being bad. I guess that (from my experience) two stupid people willingly pounding the slop out of each other is a personal decision that really has no bearing on the rest of society.... Then I got to thinking of all of the people who find themselves in fights that they try to avoid. I'm know that this happens a lot too.

Jeffrey not being still in class - I'm not saying the 2007 version is good but the 1957 version could be a problem..
    I think that paddling is a good thing....I spent a lot of time avoiding it.
    I guess it all depends on your outlook on how things work out in the end.

Billy breaking the window - Again I guess the post assumes things work out ok.
    I got quite a few whippings. I never had any long lasting emotional scars. Could I suggest that a lot of what we percieve as bad comes from TV dramatizing drunk fathers who are sadistic people who love to inflict pain on their children? Just my opininon though.

I agree with you about the ants, although I'm surprised that's the first one you thought of...I'm also a little surprised to see that opinion here.
    Luckly this forum is composed of all kinds .

Looking over my reply it would seem that I was a bad kid who got beat a lot. Actually, I rarely got into trouble and anyone who knew me back then says that I was good. Sort of strange how things work out.

Thanks for your reply user - it made me think a bit.
    Last edited by 123tim; 08-25-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Those were red ants, guys. Something tells me neither of you have experience with them, or you wouldn't have so much empathy for the little bastards.

I damn near came out of my pants on an Austin street because of them. They'll torture your pet. You won't get more empathy from me by defending them than if you showed sympathy for the devil.
    You're right about me. Our red ants aren't the same ones that you have - I've lived in the country all of my life and have only been bitten by a single ant once or twice in that whole time.
    I guess that your ants swarm and can kill?
    That would be a completely different scenario.
    Last edited by 123tim; 08-25-2008 at 06:51 AM.

Thank you for this thread. The state has become to powerful.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill

Damn proud Classical Liberal/Minarchist!

You're right about me. Our red ants aren't the same ones that you have - I've lived in the country all of my life and have only been bitten by a single ant once or twice in that whole time.
    I guess that your ants swarm and can kill?
    That would be a completely different scenario.
    We have Fire Ants in Texas and yes, they are completely a different kind of ant. They have been known to kill foals and other animals.

But regardless, people need to decide if they want freedom or whether they do not. If someone doesn't think blowing up red ants is a good thing, then public pressure could have been applied. We certainly don't need Homeland Security to get involved, nor do we need some kind of stupid law.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 08-25-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

We have Fire Ants in Texas and yes, they are completely a different kind of ant. They have been known to kill foals and other animals.

But regardless, people need to decide if they want freedom or whether they do not. If someone doesn't think blowing up red ants is a good thing, then public pressure could have been applied. We certainly don't need Homeland Security to get involved, nor do we need some kind of stupid law.
    Essentially, if people have full property rights... i.e refuse to sell stuff to people (i.e discriminate); they could do the same for the kid... If the shop owners dislike it, if they want to forgo a sale, in protest of him blowing up the ants - they could do that... but then he could just go to the next store, if they don't care.. etc

But if everyone cares, like in a small Christian town - and a girl is known to have had an abortion; word gets round - she can't get food anywhere, buy stuff etc... she eventually gets outcasted, and has to leave town.... LOL, what do you think the other girls in the town will do from then on?

Ohhh teh market

Worthy Threads:

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got quite a few whippings. I never had any long lasting emotional scars. Could I suggest that a lot of what we percieve as bad comes from TV dramatizing drunk fathers who are sadistic people who love to inflict pain on their children? Just my opininon though.
    That could certainly be a part of it. I think the reason I reacted to the original post in the first place is, its intent is clearly to set up two extremes, one good and one bad, so normally I'd expect the "good" option to be really, really good.

Luckly this forum is composed of all kinds .
    Indeed!

Thanks for your reply user - it made me think a bit.
    Hey, no problem.

-Robert A. Heinlein

When I got into fights at school, I usually came to respect the one I fought with. We may not have been friends but it worked out. In grade school we would fight in the bathroom for hiarachy, which was awarded with a certain stall when you used the restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    In grade school we would fight in the bathroom for hiarachy, which was awarded with a certain stall when you used the restroom.
    I'm sorry but that just sounds barbaric to me. No offense I'm not saying you set that up.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    But if everyone cares, like in a small Christian town - and a girl is known to have had an abortion; word gets round - she can't get food anywhere, buy stuff etc... she eventually gets outcasted, and has to leave town.... LOL, what do you think the other girls in the town will do from then on?

Ohhh teh market
    I dunno. Cut off little Johnny's wienie?
    ================

I'm sorry but that just sounds barbaric to me. No offense I'm not saying you set that up.
    You would not be awarded a stall. Kids fight all the time. It was more wrestling anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    You would not be awarded a stall. Kids fight all the time. It was more wrestling anyway.
    Yeah. Just to explain why I said that, I'm not someone who thinks something is a good idea just because it's been done for a long time. (In other words, I'm not a conservative.)

-Robert A. Heinlein

Yeah. Just to explain why I said that, I'm not someone who thinks something is a good idea just because it's been done for a long time. (In other words, I'm not a conservative.)
    That's not a good definition of a conservative. I mean, our government has been Communistic for a long time and conservatives are against that.
    ================

That's not a good definition of a conservative. I mean, our government has been Communistic for a long time and conservatives are against that.
    I'd say the most universal definition of conservative has to do with respect for tradition, which is what I'm getting at...other definitions seem to vary more as you look at different regions or periods.

-Robert A. Heinlein

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dunno. Cut off little Johnny's wienie?
    Violation of property rights. And the non aggression axiom.

Worthy Threads:

Violation of property rights. And the non aggression axiom.
    Not for me. I'm not a Libertarian.
    ================

Not for me. I'm not a Libertarian.
    You don't need to be. You've violated them regardless. And those girls would have, thus under the society I described - be liable for punishment.

Edit: So... what are you then?

Worthy Threads:

You don't need to be. You've violated them regardless.
    How so? I haven't cut off little Johnny's wienie.

And those girls would have, thus under the society I described - be liable for punishment.
    Liable for punishment for becoming pregnant? Is that your premise?

It takes 2 to tango and little Johnny is every bit at fault as "the girls".

Edit: So... what are you then?
    A traditional conservative. You know, Goldwater-Conservative.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 08-25-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    ================

I'd say the most universal definition of conservative has to do with respect for tradition, which is what I'm getting at...other definitions seem to vary more as you look at different regions or periods.
    Traditional conservatives have a respect for tradition, in that they believe in the Constitution. So yeah, in that regard, I guess they respect tradition.
    ================

Traditional conservatives have a respect for tradition, in that they believe in the Constitution. So yeah, in that regard, I guess they respect tradition.
    Well, I mean the attitude more than a belief specific to a country. If you go to a country where there is no constitution, you can't define a conservative that way, but you probably can look at their attitude towards tradition. But I do think that the primary reason, or at least one of the primary reasons, some conservatives in America support the Constitution is out of a respect for tradition.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast