Thread: NYT 8/21: FBI to Receive Even BROADER Powers

NYT 8/21: FBI to Receive Even BROADER Powers

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/wa...nt&oref=slogin

Well if you aren't on the list yet, you sure will be after these powers pass through congress. They won't even need a "suspicion" anymore.

The senators said the new guidelines would allow the F.B.I. to open an investigation of an American, conduct surveillance, pry into private records and take other investigative steps “without any basis for suspicion.” The plan “might permit an innocent American to be subjected to such intrusive surveillance based in part on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or on protected First Amendment activities,” the letter said. It was signed by Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island.

*sigh*
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yay, more shenanigans from Feingold!
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Sheldon Whitehouse is a scumbag.

The Justice Department is already expecting criticism over the F.B.I. guidelines. In an effort to pre-empt critics, Mr. Mukasey gave a speech last week in Portland, Ore., describing the unfinished plan as an effort to “integrate more completely and harmonize the standards that apply to the F.B.I.’s activities.” Differing standards, he said, have caused confusion for field agents.
    Poor field agents. They must take away our rights so they will no longer be confused. Not much confusion if they have full reign.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by shaunish View Post
    Sheldon Whitehouse is a scumbag.
    why?

um.. those four Senators signed a letter stating they were against this legislation..

did anybody read it?
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

//
    "If a life could have a theme song -- and I believe every worthwhile one has -- mine is a religion, an obsession or a mania, or all of these expressed in one word: individualism. I was born with that obsession and have never seen and do not know now a cause more worthy, more misunderstood, more seemingly hopeless, and more tragically needed." -Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    um.. those four Senators signed a letter stating they were against this legislation..

did anybody read it?
    yeah

i really doubt someone like feingold would be for this

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://lr-n-r.org/InstitutionalizedTyranny.html
    One of the more important statutory restrictions which secures and reinforces Congress' authority is at 4 U.S.C. §§ 71 & 72. The first of these sections establishes territory within the current borders of the District of Columbia as the seat of government for the United States; the second prohibits any government department from operating outside the District of Columbia save as Congress authorizes by statute:
    Sec. 72. Public offices; at seat of Government
    All offices attached to the seat of government shall be exercised in the District of Columbia, and not elsewhere, except as otherwise expressly provided by law.
    In this context, we see what should be lawful constraint on the Federal Bureau of Investigation by examining origins and statutory authority of the FBI: Read notes following 28 U.S.C. § 531 to find that Congress didn't create the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The FBI simply appeared in the Department of Justice -- it is an administratively-created entity, so cannot exceed authority originally vested in the Attorney General or the Department of Justice. Statutory authority vested in the FBI and the Attorney General is found at 28 U.S.C. § 535:
    The Attorney General and the Federal Bureau of Investigation may investigate any violation of title 18 involving Government officers and employees...
    Administrative creation of the FBI is confirmed in The United States Government Manual, 1996/97 edition, page 349:
    "The Federal Bureau of Investigation was established in 1908 by the Attorney General, who directed that Department of Justice investigations be handled by its own staff..."
    What authority does the FBI have to investigate and otherwise bother people in the several States other than Government officers and employees? De facto authority -- "I can, therefore I will." The FBI has no statutory authority to disturb anyone in the Union of several States other than government officers and employees. Therefore, 4 U.S.C. § 72, in addition to constitutional limitations, constrains FBI investigations in the Union of several States to subject matter prescribed by statute, that being 28 U.S.C. § 535, cited above.

Hey, maybe the BROADER powers will include the ability to release, to the public, the FBI confiscated 9/11 Pentagon video tapes.