Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO"S read the Constitution???

WHO"S read the Constitution???

I haven't .....yet...not all of it...and haad it explained and I have a BS in Poli Sci - so sad.

Maybe someone can post it had I can digest!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who hasn't really. If you have ever been in a government class chances are you have read it, or at least the outlines of it. I own a copy, picked a nice one up from the book store. The constitution REALLY is worth knowing, how else could you know your rights?
    Well, if you haven't read it I recommend looking it up =]

Quote Originally Posted by happyphilter View Post
    Who hasn't really. If you have ever been in a government class chances are you have read it, or at least the outlines of it. I own a copy, picked a nice one up from the book store. The constitution REALLY is worth knowing, how else could you know your rights?
    Well, if you haven't read it I recommend looking it up =]
    Thanks - maybe I have I just don't remeber in depth studing it! I do remember Chicano Studies Did you know that SOUT_WEST america really belongs to Mexico and we just stole it - and that mexican have the right to speak spanish only becaus of the "treaty of Guadalupe"?

Heck why not just sub it out to the Private sector?

Constiwhatshin? Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghemminger View Post
    I do remember Chicano Studies Did you know that SOUT_WEST america really belongs to Mexico and we just stole it - and that mexican have the right to speak spanish only becaus of the "treaty of Guadalupe"?
    It sounds like you were studying under one of those Aztlan-promoting asshats. We did NOT steal the southwest.

http://mix.lycos.com/mix/michael-bad...on-class#32886

Excellent classes on the constitution by a friendly libertarian. Goes over the entire thing. I'd suggest reading the constitution for yourself, then watching this for a more intimate understanding of the concepts behind it and how it is executed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've read it throughout several times, some very interesting stuff are in it. I have several copies between all the books I own. This is why I support Ron Paul, because he has read it and truly understands it, rather than paying lip service to it like the rest of these guys (and girl).

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    It sounds like you were studying under one of those Aztlan-promoting asshats. We did NOT steal the southwest.
    Required Class the UC System - many other errrrr interesting required courses

I haven't .....yet...not all of it...and haad it explained and I have a BS in Poli Sci - so sad.

Maybe someone can post it had I can digest!
    It is only what about 4,000 words? What is amazing is that almost every political question posed can be answered by an appeal to it. It truly is an amazing work.

You may want to watch some videos at FlexYourRights.org as they go over Amendments 4-6th which are some of the most important.

Of course, the two most important clauses are The Gold Clause and Habeas Corpus.

Here's the thing: Reading the Constitution isn't enough. It must be presented in context.

Watch this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47074978323622

It's the first part of an 8 hour introductory class to the United States Constitution. You will learn A WHOLE LOT. I did. I just watched it last weekend. It was very enlightening. I have recently read the Constitution, but just reading it isn't enough.

So really. Try to take the time (even if you're doing multiple things at once, or it it cuts into your TV time, or whatever) to watch this class. You WILL NOT regret it.

Last edited by richard1984; 08-31-2007 at 04:24 PM.
    Amendment I.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by richard1984 View Post
    Here's the thing: Reading the Constitution isn't enough. It must be presented in context.

Watch this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47074978323622

It's the first part of an 8 hour introductory class to the United States Constitution. You will learn A WHOLE LOT. I did. I just watched it last weekend. It was very enlightening. I have recently read the Constitution, but only reading it wasn't enough.

So really. Try to take the time (even if you're doing multiple things at once, or it it cuts into your TV time, or whatever) to watch this class. You WILL NOT regret it.

Thanks Rich I will wtch it tonight - could you pm me tonight to remind me...thanks

A guy named Mike Pannone from Jersey gave me a Citizen's Rulebook that has the Constitution in it---I keep it in my briefcase and read it whenever I am traveling. The thing is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    A guy named Mike Pannone from Jersey gave me a Citizen's Rulebook that has the Constitution in it---I keep it in my briefcase and read it whenever I am traveling. The thing is great!
    Gosh don't chicks think your like a nerd? "What's that honey in your pocket...a contitution, or are u jus happy to see me?"

Gosh don't chicks think your like a nerd? "What's that honey in your pocket...a contitution, or are u jus happy to see me?"
    Haha --- read son. "Briefcase", not "Pocket". I'm thinking about getting an extra backpack and carrying around 50 of them at a time to distribute, take the nerdism to the next level.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chicks think the Constitution is hot. Especially when they see you say to an Officer "Am I free to go? I do not consent to any searches."

Haha --- read son. "Briefcase", not "Pocket". I'm thinking about getting an extra backpack and carrying around 50 of them at a time to distribute, take the nerdism to the next level.
    I was sitting with a good friend of mine from Kazakhstan. Yes, she is hot. Anyway, we got to talking about some politics, I have for the past several years had the Constitution and DoI on the wall in my living room, and I made a reference to the Constitution and she said 'Wow, I want to read that.' So, I whipped out my copy of the Constitution and turned to the Bill of Rights and had her read those. Then I had her read the Declaration of Independence (first two paragraphs). She said 'This is amazing. It is not like this in Kazakhstan.'

Oh, she asked how she could get a copy. I gave her my book (I have about 50 of these at home, 2 in my car and one I carry on my person on a regular basis).
    Last edited by jonahtrainer; 08-31-2007 at 04:37 PM.

You Da man, my MAN! I will read it soon!

Not only have I read it, I'm reading what they wrote about it at the time. Eye opening and timeless philosophies.

Man, I was FORCED to read it many times.

When I was a kid, we had to memorize the Preamble in school (no, it wasn't that long ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of '76 View Post
    Man, I was FORCED to read it many times.

When I was a kid, we had to memorize the Preamble in school (no, it wasn't that long ago).
    It figures that the schools require kids to memorize the Preamble (it is the P.R. portion of the Constitution), everyone -- especially anyone who wants to vote in a federal election or hold federal office -- should have to memorize Article I, section 8 and the 10th Amendment:

Article I, section 8 (which contains all of the powers that have been delegated by the States to the federal government):

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; — And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
    10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Nice this is what I call spoon feeding - thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bbachtung View Post
    It figures that the schools require kids to memorize the Preamble (it is the P.R. portion of the Constitution),
    I doubt they do, anymore. This was several decades ago.

That's pretty crazy. I had to find my transcript to be sure. I have 9 hours on just the Constitution.

I went to college a long time ago. I know that education has changed in the last--OMG--several years. (So has the interpretation of the Constitution!) I'm not trying to be intrusive, but, if you don't mind answering, if the Constitution is not part of a poli sci degree anymore, what is taught?
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockEnds View Post
    That's pretty crazy. I had to find my transcript to be sure. I have 9 hours on just the Constitution.

I went to college a long time ago. I know that education has changed in the last--OMG--several years. (So has the interpretation of the Constitution!) I'm not trying to be intrusive, but, if you don't mind answering, if the Constitution is not part of a poli sci degree anymore, what is taught?
    UC System - I think it's covered in High School? I don't remeber ever studing the Const - in fact American History seems to be lacking in general

I read an excellent book several years ago that analyzed every parpagraph of the Constitution. Perhaps one of the most informative books I've ever owned. It was a great resource.

I had a friend who was a big liberal and didn't understand the Constitution at all. I let him borrow my prized Constitution book and haven't seen it since . And now I can't remember the name or the author or find it on amazon or anywhere. It should be required reading for every person in this country.

...damn I'm pissed I lost that book! . If anyone knows the book I'm talking about I would be eternally grateful. It had a red, white and blue cover and basically analyed the Constitutuion sentence by sentence.

Read it, but can't quote anything past the Tenth Amendment. Can't actually quote too much from the Enumerated Powers, but I generally know what they are.

Ah, heck, I'd better pull it out of my desk drawer here and re-read. We should all do that. I found myself in an argument the other day about whether something was Constitutional at a federal level.

Tonight's assignment for all: Read the entire Constitution. It's not that long.
    In your hearts, you know he's right.

I still know that song by heart...."I'm just a bill...Yes, I'm only a bill.
    And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.....Well, it's a long, long journey
    To the capital city.......It's a long, long wait
    While I'm sitting in committee,.....But I know I'll be a law someday
    At least I hope and pray that I will......But today I am still just a bill......"

ladeedah.....

UC System - I think it's covered in High School? I don't remeber ever studing the Const - in fact American History seems to be lacking in general
    That's interesting. UCC used to be Business Law.

I just emailed my old prof last night. My son CLEP'd out of an ethics class & called to thank me for making him read the "old, dead, boring guys." He wasn't really thanking me while he was reading them!!! I thought I'd forward the message on to the fellow who introduced me to philosophy. I noticed the Poli Sci department has become a branch of Business Administration. Sounds like a trend.

I think I'm going to write him back. That really disturbs me. Where did the Constitution go? Hmm. Ah, I wanted to get his take on the election anyway. He's quite libertarian-leaning.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast