Thread: Google sponsored links. Help me get RP on Google!

Google sponsored links. Help me get RP on Google!

I want to use google sponsored links to get Ron's message out across the broader internet.
    One person, so far, has pledged $100 to get this thing going. I can put in some myself (a little).
    I want to start with a trial run, if you will.
    Here are the three phrases I have chosen for the test run.

presidential race
    2008 presidential race
    presidential candidates
    Republican presidential candidates

The purpose here, is to find out how much money these terms will require for a long run but getting a few days worth of data. This should be the perfect time, as well, since we are coming into what many people consider the prime time for campaigning.

Anyway, I need $$
    If anyone, like me, considers this to be a worthwhile endeavor, I am asking for you financial support.

Keep in mind - we don't pay for the views of the ad (which are invaluable in my opinion) but only for clickthroughs. Google is good about keeping stats and showing you how many page views you've received and your clickthrough rate.

So, how about it folks?
    Our rights are not derived from man but exist because we are men.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Using ad-words is frankly a rip off. I've tried it in marketing products my self, they are plagued with click fraud. Out of that $100, using those keywords your CPC will probably have a minimum of $1.00 per click, so thats only 100 clicks, a drop in the bucket really. 90% of those will be fraud anyway, so maybe 10 actual clicks.

My advice is for us to pick a centralized site to promote and link to it all across the blogosphere for those keywords. This will naturally raise the page rank, which is a much more cost effective approach for our setup.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEngineer View Post
    Using ad-words is frankly a rip off. I've tried it in marketing products my self, they are plagued with click fraud. Out of that $100, using those keywords your CPC will probably have a minimum of $1.00 per click, so thats only 100 clicks, a drop in the bucket really. 90% of those will be fraud anyway, so maybe 10 actual clicks.

My advice is for us to pick a centralized site to promote and link to it all across the blogosphere for those keywords. This will naturally raise the page rank, which is a much more cost effective approach for our setup.
    I'm not talking about adwords, which is s a completely different thing. These are the sponsored links on the right hand side of searches.
    For instance, if you go to google and search for "presidential candidates" there is only ONE candidate in the sponsored links - Obama.
    I think this could be highly effective for name recognition and since it is targeted to people looking the information, could bring a decent rate of return on investment.

Evil was referring to those 'sponsored links'. Thats what AdWords is.
    I've run adwords campaigns before and still have an account so I can check prices if you want.
    You probably are looking in the neighborhood of $1 per click tho, and as folks are learning that if you click the opponents ads you take their money, most of the clicks will be fraudulent.
    If you want to stretch out your budget find some sites that get lots of traffic but are not political in nature, then buy CPM ads thru Google Adwords.
    With CPM ads you set your price for 1000 impressions on a certain site and dont pay any extra if someone clicks. I think you can bid as low as 25cents per 1000, but don't expect the ads to display more than a few times if you bid that cheap. $10 per 1000 should get better exposure for your $100 than running adwords on the sponsored links.

eb
    Been a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    Evil was referring to those 'sponsored links'. Thats what AdWords is.
    I've run adwords campaigns before and still have an account so I can check prices if you want.
    You probably are looking in the neighborhood of $1 per click tho, and as folks are learning that if you click the opponents ads you take their money, most of the clicks will be fraudulent.
    If you want to stretch out your budget find some sites that get lots of traffic but are not political in nature, then buy CPM ads thru Google Adwords.
    With CPM ads you set your price for 1000 impressions on a certain site and dont pay any extra if someone clicks. I think you can bid as low as 25cents per 1000, but don't expect the ads to display more than a few times if you bid that cheap. $10 per 1000 should get better exposure for your $100 than running adwords on the sponsored links.

eb
    Sure, you want to do some research into that?

Heres the current word and rate list. Note also that the rates tend to go up after you start a campaign. I've had 5 cent words turn into 25 cent words 3 days after starting a campaign.

Prices are per click thru in USD:

presidential election .81
    presidential 1.05
    2008 presidential election .95
    presidential quotes $10.46
    presidential debates .68
    republican 1.06
    candidates 1.22
    clinton 2.28
    war .51

Note: these are the ads that show on google searches, content ad words, the ones that show on websites are usually cheaper.
    Last edited by Razmear; 08-31-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Been a long time....

Heres the current word and rate list. Note also that the rates tend to go up after you start a campaign. I've had 5 cent words turn into 25 cent words 3 days after starting a campaign.

Prices are per click thru in USD:

presidential election .81
    presidential 1.05
    2008 presidential election .95
    presidential quotes $10.46
    presidential debates .68
    republican 1.06
    candidates 1.22
    clinton 2.28
    war .51

Note: these are the ads that show on google searches, content ad words, the ones that show on websites are usually cheaper.
    I did
    presidential race .44
    2008 presidential race .50

Duh, I got the list of prices using my free recycling site's profile which might have jacked up the price because of lack of relevance.

eb
    Been a long time....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I, too, do not trust google adwords, but would suggest a different approach:

1. make a banner ad, or a series of banner ads, linking to www.ronpaul2008.com, www.ronpaullibrary.com, and freeme.tv
    2. find a high traffic site or blog, email the admin and ask 'what would you charge me to have a 60x60 pixel (or whatever) ad on your main page from now until the primaries? now until the general election?
    3. raise that amount of money (when you find a reasonable traffic/cost ratio)

If you do go the 'sponsored links' route, it seems like the money would be far better spent on keywords targeted to narrow groups that should be interested in Ron Paul's message, but just haven't heard about him yet (for example, keywords targeted to gun owners/buyers). But even better would be ads on sites where these groups hang out (for example, gunforums.com).

Just my 2cents. It's your money and that is the beauty of a grassroots campaign, we can all do what we think is best!

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    I, too, do not trust google adwords, but would suggest a different approach:

1. make a banner ad, or a series of banner ads, linking to www.ronpaul2008.com, www.ronpaullibrary.com, and freeme.tv
    2. find a high traffic site or blog, email the admin and ask 'what would you charge me to have a 60x60 pixel (or whatever) ad on your main page from now until the primaries? now until the general election?
    3. raise that amount of money (when you find a reasonable traffic/cost ratio)
    I would have no problem with that.

We'd probably want to hit several high traffic sites, though and get good position. From my research, I understand that the bottom of the page is the best place because when people get there they are looking for something to do.

CPM ads on gun sites would be a good idea, maybe same with some pot head forums or college band sites.
    If you stick with 'content' ads and CPM ads your money will go a lot further.
    eb
    Been a long time....

So who would like to design a banner?

I thought you would be doing text ads, I think rates are different for image ads.

eb
    Been a long time....

I thought you would be doing text ads, I think rates are different for image ads.

eb
    I think image ads sell better though - which isn't saying much because banner advertising has a horrible clickthru rate.