Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 420 mile bicycle ride to the rally

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Dance Master View Post
    We're riding Raleigh Ventures. (Rally Ventura?) Comfy 7-speeds. Here's a google image of one.

Do you think I could ride cross country with my type of bike?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Took a second sunset pic to get the barge.

By trancedancemaste

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephTheLibertarian View Post
    Get some slick tires, you'll pedal much easier. My friend had knobbies that came with the Raleigh. I had these bad boys.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_plus

I got no flats. My friend got one.

Also, make sure you get a good seat. And bicycle shorts was something we definitely could've used. Saddle sores suck, even though the ride was incredibly awesome.

Took a 3rd sunset pic. I was thinking of how much fun you guys must have been having out in Blaine.

By trancedancemaste

With the bicycles at the Motel, we took the bus to the rally. Too late for Ventura. In time for Gary Johnson, Jimmy Vaughn, Ron Paul, and Aimee Allen. Met a nice woman while outside for a smoke. I remember her name. Kathleen. Had a Ron Paul sticker on her dress.

By trancedancemaste
    Last edited by Trance Dance Master; 09-20-2008 at 07:50 PM.

After party at The Annex. My friend went back to the Motel to rest while I partied it up. I forgot her name, but she was cool and from Chicago as well.

By trancedancemaste

I don't remember her name either, but I know that the sweat on my shirt is from another woman whose picture I didn't get. It's so much more fun to go clubbing with revolutionary women, they're so much cooler than your average club chicks.

By trancedancemaste

Heading home. Twin Cities skyline from above train tracks.

By trancedancemaste

More distant twin cities skyline pic from top of hill along bike path.

By trancedancemaste

Wednesday night. We're just west of Prescott. Thursday morning we start back across Wisconsin. Goodbye, Minnesota!

By trancedancemaste

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow Michael, those are awesome! What a great trip.

Minnesota blessed us with some wild blueberries to eat before we left. I never ate blueberries with seeds before, and they were very tasty.

By trancedancemaste

More edible plants. We didn't see any of these on the way there, but stopped nearly a dozen times at different spots along the same route back to pick and give thanks.

By trancedancemaste

Now this is the better mist rising from hill picture. There was mist everywhere from sunrise until about 10 am, and the top of this hill still had it, while the sun was shining through it. Near Alma, WI. We found more of those green edible plants a little further down the road.

By trancedancemaste

Rattlesnake. This one had been dead for a while. I rode my bicycle over one that was more freshly dead later. My friend went around it. I'm glad we didn't find any live ones. The scariest animal encounter was the last Saturday night. We heard wild coyotes several nights, but this time I decided to howl back. Seconds later they were howling again, but over twice as nearby. We picked up the pace for quite some time. Was a bit foolish on my part.

By trancedancemaste

If you thought the last pic was kind of gross, this one tops it. Pregnant deer roadkill.

By trancedancemaste

Moby Gill! The biggest fish I ever caught. And it was raining out, too!

By trancedancemaste

We saw this apple tree near Wildcat Mountain on the way there. Remembered to take picture of it on the way back. Very tasty both times.

By trancedancemaste

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I settled on just one bug pic. This spider was huge. The staple under the picnic bench gives some perspective. I'm glad we didn't encounter anywhere near as many mayflies as we did last time we went to the Mississippi River 10 years ago.

By trancedancemaste

We called for a ride and got picked up after about another 30 more miles on that Sunday. Over 200 hours and 700 miles on the road. Unforgettable.

By trancedancemaste

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTheLibertarian View Post
    If you're still interested, here's what you need to make that bike worthy of long distance.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/slzz/...s/products.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Adult-...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

These would come in handy as well.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3381451
    http://www.pacificcorrosion.com/PriceList.ivnu

Raingear, headlight/rear light, rack, and panniers would also be a good idea. Spare tubes and pump for flats, or just go with a patch kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12