Thread: Need constructive feedback of Liberty Straw Poll web site

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries

Need constructive feedback of Liberty Straw Poll web site

I'm seriously interested in good feedback- IMO, I know there is room for improvement in the presentation of ideas, etc so I want to hear.

What can be done to make the ticket buying process more attractive? How is the overall ticket purchasing process, for someone who has bought one? Easy? Does it make sense? Too many buttons to push?

How is the open pitch (top text on first page)? IMO- this is very important and could use some work- how to reword it?

What bells and whistles can be added to the site?

Should we add a feedburner mailing list?

I'm thinking it could be nice to add a widget (and for others) that might include things like "Here's what others are saying about us:" - and include some positive feedback scrolling on the screen. Would this be worthwhile marketing?

Should we add a blog page? What's the best way to get that going if so?

We should be announcing the broadcast team within a week and will then do a bigger PR push.

Thanks!
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A few thoughts ... first, I'd bring the ticket purchase buttons to the home page. Right now users have to click twice to purchase a ticket, when it could just as easily be one.

Second, Stormy on the Freeople site mentioned the opening text needs to be a bit more streamlined, and I have to agree with her. She suggested she might be able to offer some assistance if you'd like, although I don't know her current schedule/availability. Why don't you send her a PM and see if she has some ideas.

Do you have a formal press release yet? I'd like to have it promoted on Freeople as one of the top blog posts. We push content in a lot of directions and probably would help generate traffic. The same should happen on DP, BTM, elsewhere.

While I think something like a widget can be of value, more than anything else it's about promoting the event through various channels (news sites, social networking sites, forums, email, meetups, etc.) and having the message be clear, succinct and direct. Also if you are sending out an email about the LSP, make sure it's not part of a larger email promoting other events. It really needs to be in its own email so it's very clear to the reader, and he or she doesn't feel as though they are being overloaded with information and cannot focus on the LSP message.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rs3515 View Post
    A few thoughts ... first, I'd bring the ticket purchase buttons to the home page. Right now users have to click twice to purchase a ticket, when it could just as easily be one.
    That was one of the things I was thinking myself. My internal counter argument is that on the main page we just want the visitor to make the decision that they want to get a ticket- asking how they want to complete the transaction is secondary. In other words, they already have one choice to make- make it easy on them. Still, this could go either way... I'll think about it some more.

Second, Stormy on the Freeople site mentioned the opening text needs to be a bit more streamlined, and I have to agree with her. She suggested she might be able to offer some assistance if you'd like, although I don't know her current schedule/availability. Why don't you send her a PM and see if she has some ideas.
    I agree- and since I added the "About Us" page, that is covered. The text at the start of the page is the most important of the whole site. I'll PM her.

Do you have a formal press release yet? I'd like to have it promoted on Freeople as one of the top blog posts. We push content in a lot of directions and probably would help generate traffic. The same should happen on DP, BTM, elsewhere.
    Working on it- again, it's a major marketing matter. Right now we're working on starting to get the word out, and iron out the kinks, etc- but once we announce the broadcast team, we'll do the formal press release and start the major push.

While I think something like a widget can be of value, more than anything else it's about promoting the event through various channels (news sites, social networking sites, forums, email, meetups, etc.) and having the message be clear, succinct and direct. Also if you are sending out an email about the LSP, make sure it's not part of a larger email promoting other events. It really needs to be in its own email so it's very clear to the reader, and he or she doesn't feel as though they are being overloaded with information and cannot focus on the LSP message.
    Here's a thread trying to do the " clear, succinct and direct." bit- it's not easy for this project.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=148565

I know I'm not a marketing expert so I'm looking for help here. I'll start a thread on places to market the LSP.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

[h3] Join us, on Constitution Day, September 17th for our "Congressional Match-up" straw poll where pro-liberty candidates for the US Congress will compete for your vote. [/h3]

Here's how to join the excitement:

1. Make a donation of just $10 to our sponsor PAC, the American Liberty Coalition in exchange for a voting ticket.
    2. On September 17th, tune in to our show available from a media partner (listed below) that will feature a select seven candidates who will be competing for your vote. The live show starts at 8PM Eastern (5PM Pacific).
    3. Listen to the candidates speak, determine your top choice.
    4. Return to LibertyStrawPoll.com and vote with your ticket.

The winner(s) of the straw poll will then receive the value of the straw poll ticket donations in campaign support from the sponsor PAC.
    Raise the stakes for the candidates, donate today!
    I think this is great wording... theres a typo i think -- the first comma in the first sentence isn't necessary - 'join us on constitution day'.

also:
    'Congressional matchup' could be skipped in favor of just 'Liberty Straw Poll' at the beginning.

Should it be U.S. Congress with the periods?

the table of interested candidates could use some padding around the text.

'Break the Matrix' didn't show up for me on the front page as a media rebroadcaster - thought i saw that logo on there the other day.

i think i would surround the link headers down the left hand side -- participate, how it works, get involved -- with hyphens to match the subtitle of the logo at the top. might reduce the font size on the subtitle as well.

i think the site looks really good.
    Last edited by nayjevin; 08-04-2008 at 01:55 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

I think the site needs something that is moving to attract the eye, like an arrow flashing or pointing toward the 'get a ticket to vote now!' button, or an animation of a $10 bill turning into the statue of liberty. maybe there's a free gif out there somewhere that would work well.

http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/patriotic2.html
    http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/4thJuly.html
    http://www.animatedgif.net/flags/fla...flagsusa.shtml
    Last edited by nayjevin; 08-04-2008 at 01:39 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

on the 'get a ticket' page:

freeople didn't respond when 'donate by credit card' was clicked, but my internet does that alot

might mention the last day checks can be received to participate in the straw poll

on the mail in donation form:

typo at the very bottom, number 1:
    "received with this purchase that will be send" <--- should be 'sent'

another in number 2:
    "ALCPAC), will be distribution" <--- should be 'distributed'

another in number 4:
    "the right to make claim" <--- should be 'make a claim'

also,
    seems like the two sentences that make up #4 should join to read: "
    1. I understand I have the right to make claim if I believe the final straw poll votes casted with these tickets were incorrectly recorded, but that Liberty Straw Poll and ALCPAC are the final arbiters in determining if the votes caused any measurable difference in the placement of candidates in the vote tally."

on the 'candidate participation' page:

i haven't the faintest what that payout schedule means. is there any way to simplify that?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    freeople didn't respond when 'donate by credit card' was clicked, but my internet does that alot
    Site was actually down most of last night since one of our posts got heavy traffic on Digg ... has been corrected and shouldn't have any more issues with it.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Sorry about the delay- I think I fixed everything needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    on the 'candidate participation' page:

i haven't the faintest what that payout schedule means. is there any way to simplify that?
    Sorry about that- it's in "computer programmer speak" of sorts. To help, I made an Excel spreadsheet where one can plug in a number and see the payout-- hopefully there are no bugs in the calculations, the verbage is accurate.

Download here:
    http://www.libertystrawpoll.com/LSP.xls

Thanks!!

Site was actually down most of last night since one of our posts got heavy traffic on Digg ... has been corrected and shouldn't have any more issues with it.
    yeah works fine now

If you need a blog added, let me know and I'll get one up and running shortly.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    If you need a blog added, let me know and I'll get one up and running shortly.
    That would be great- would it integrate with Word Press? I know Roxi registered an account a LSP with WordPress. Either way, please add it without a link from the index so we could start to use it- then get it added to the index.

Thanks so much!!

I can do a new top banner for the site to match the ones I have done already, just give me the size to fit it.... maybe a ticket graphic one the main page direct to purchase - fewer clicks the better.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    I can do a new top banner for the site to match the ones I have done already, just give me the size to fit it.... maybe a ticket graphic one the main page direct to purchase - fewer clicks the better.
    Thanks! That would be great! The header is 780 x 149. Right now we do have the red button to on the main page to go right to Freeople -- are you suggesting something else? I'm all ears...

just a ticket graphic instead of the plain button , thats all.... I will whip it up for ya...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Just a concept of what it would look like...
    Yep, that's what it looks like! It's live!

Thanks! Love it! Love it! Love it!

I need to add you to the "About us" page with graphics art credit. Let me know what to add / say if you're interested.

Very good, the ticket stands right out there.....

As for the credit, no need, my thanks come from your comments and using what I created. Glad you like it.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I went with the full sized ticket too - it does stand out.

Thanks so much! This really adds a nice touch.

sweet.. nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    That would be great- would it integrate with Word Press? I know Roxi registered an account a LSP with WordPress. Either way, please add it without a link from the index so we could start to use it- then get it added to the index.

Thanks so much!!
    Sorry, I am just now seeing this. I don't check all my subscribed threads each visit. It's best to email me.

Do you still want me to add a blog? If so, is WordPress the one you want?

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Sorry, I am just now seeing this. I don't check all my subscribed threads each visit. It's best to email me.

Do you still want me to add a blog? If so, is WordPress the one you want?
    I think we'll be OK for now- I'm going to be heading out tomorrow and will have limited net access for 10 days.

Thanks!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I think we'll be OK for now- I'm going to be heading out tomorrow and will have limited net access for 10 days.

Thanks!
    I decided not to wait for a reply and went ahead and installed it. Didn't think you'd get to this so quickly!