Thread: Foreign companies for investing?

Foreign companies for investing?

So I read Peter Schiff's book, Crash Proof, and was wonder what people here thought would be good investments would be in foreign countries following the advice of Peter in his book. I have zero idea on this stuff so if you could point me to a good source of information about companies and/or a good source of learning how to determine what is a good company, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I need to read the book to get the point in investing in foreign anything. Personally I would STILL focus on helping American startups launch as long as their workforce is IN America and where their money goes as well.

I can see how it could benefit an investor to go outside our country right now BUT who is that really helping?

First we outsource our jobs and now we are going to outsource investments?

Maybe I need to read the book to get the overall grasp of the thought process behind it OR if someone could help explain it that would be great as well.

If you want to invest, invest in the military industrial complex, they will ALWAYS go up, up up as long as we go to war with any and all countries that "need democracy".
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Investing in America is a bad idea because of the decline of the dollar. I'm not going to invest my money to have it come back to me worth less than when I put it in. No amount of investing now is going to save us because the problem is not within our control anymore. The crash IS going to happen so start NOW to protect yourself. This means foreign investments and gold and silver.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Just buy the iShares Emerging Market Fund. Google it to find the symbol. Its good enough.

Arklatex

EEM like the above investor said is the best! Great advice you get on RPFs. EEM is a superb investment, of course make a series of small buys over a period of time. Don't go all in at once.

I've owned EEM for quite awhile and have recommended to friends who thanked me greatly! I'm looking to pull some more EEM shares myself, it's a good price to buy but it could always go lower.

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post
    So I read Peter Schiff's book, Crash Proof, and was wonder what people here thought would be good investments would be in foreign countries following the advice of Peter in his book. I have zero idea on this stuff so if you could point me to a good source of information about companies and/or a good source of learning how to determine what is a good company, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    If you have zero idea you need to learn the basics at www.investopedia.com and consider a full service broker such as Europac to do your investing for you.
    Beware of these Obama supporters: ProBlue33, newbitech, libertarian4321, Kade, Electronicmajji, SeanEdwards,

Take a look at Canadian Royalty Trusts in oil, coal, pipelines... they are paying huge dividends (which changes around 2011) but Peter has recommended them before in his radio show. Hint here: ERF. Lots of people, including Peter, recommend Pengrowth also.. but on US exchanges it's an ADR, which his book explains is bad. So unless you can buy Common Stock right on a Canadian exchange, ERF is a compromise.

There are also plenty of FOREIGN gold/silver mining companies trading as common stock (read NOT ADR) on US exchanges... I'm in GFI, TGB, ABX, NEM, NXG, GG... looking at some others TCK look especially nice as beyond gold...

Just look around. Make sure it's Common Stock, not an ADR/ADS (do this by going to the exchange it's trading on and look up its profile.

Their dividends are paid in their local currencies, so as long as you immediately exit the dollar after you get payment, they are safe. As for capital gains (shares are prices in USD after all) I am pretty sure it should be okay.. for instance ABX trades on Canadian, US, and German exchanges. A share is a share. If USD loses half its value, a German could easily trade in some EUR and buy the cheaper share on the US market in USD. What I'm trying to get at is I believe the share should roughly trade the same globally, no matter what exchange its on.
    Last edited by rrcamp; 08-01-2008 at 06:13 AM.

I always balance Schiff's advice with Jim Roger's advice. Rogers says Taiwan may be the best country to invest in now, along with some in China, of course.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How does Europac work? I have been thinking of going with them, I just don't know how the process works at all and am trying to find out.

that is not what I was talking about at all actually.

I was talking about investing in "startup companies in the u.s.a." NOT the us dollar.....

You can invest in ACTUAL gold and silver HERE as well. What I do find funny STILL though is that people THINK these problems are not going on outside the u.s. either. Don't you realize most all established nations HAVE a central bank and fluctuate their "paper money" as well?

Either way, if you want to outsource your investment then go for it, whatever works for you BUT I would not put my entire investment strategy based on a single book though.

Talk with those around you who already invest BUT have ACTUAL profits and wealth. I would also suggest you read "rich dad poor dad" if you have not already. That too is a great read or audio listen AND can help you better understand WHAT to do with the money you DO make from your investments to turn it into ACTUAL income generating efforts LIKE owning a business or INVESTING in yourself.

Investing in America is a bad idea because of the decline of the dollar. I'm not going to invest my money to have it come back to me worth less than when I put it in. No amount of investing now is going to save us because the problem is not within our control anymore. The crash IS going to happen so start NOW to protect yourself. This means foreign investments and gold and silver.

I know foreign nations all use fiat money, but the idea is that their money is going to go down in value slower than the dollar. And if the US falls its not going to take much else with it since no one else is really dependent on us for anything. WE are dependent on nations like China and Tawiain for our goods. They would do far better without us.

WE are dependent on nations like China and Tawiain for our goods. They would do far better without us.

How would they do far better without us when most of our product that we buy HERE is from there?

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    that is not what I was talking about at all actually.

I was talking about investing in "startup companies in the u.s.a." NOT the us dollar.....

You can invest in ACTUAL gold and silver HERE as well. What I do find funny STILL though is that people THINK these problems are not going on outside the u.s. either. Don't you realize most all established nations HAVE a central bank and fluctuate their "paper money" as well?

Either way, if you want to outsource your investment then go for it, whatever works for you BUT I would not put my entire investment strategy based on a single book though.

Talk with those around you who already invest BUT have ACTUAL profits and wealth. I would also suggest you read "rich dad poor dad" if you have not already. That too is a great read or audio listen AND can help you better understand WHAT to do with the money you DO make from your investments to turn it into ACTUAL income generating efforts LIKE owning a business or INVESTING in yourself.
    ...Or he could learn the 101 and step by step on investopedia. You're nuts if you think the entire world economy will collapse and foreign securities will be worthless....which seems to be what you are implying. That being said, ADRs are typically garbage and to really invest in foreign securities you need a firm with access to foreign securities not traded here in the states.

You might not base your investment strategy on a single book, but this person shouldn't base his investment strategy on your post.

The theory in the book is sensible and near fool proof. Invest in companies with solid financials, steady fundamentals, and a good dividend in areas with a stable economy that's not dancing with the devil like ours.
    Beware of these Obama supporters: ProBlue33, newbitech, libertarian4321, Kade, Electronicmajji, SeanEdwards,

How would they do far better without us when most of our product that we buy HERE is from there?
    Flawed argument here.

The paper they receive is near worthless. We finance our purchases with debt. They could find easily find another market for their goods.

Pick up a book and read it. Your arguments are speculative and nonsensical. Back up your claims, please .

If you're using Patriotism as your investment strategy and rational for investing only in the U.S.A....do you deserve to lose money?

I will use Peter Schiff's anology as it makes PERFECT sense.

You have six people on an island. Five are asian, one is american. They need food. So they get together and divy out jobs. One asian will forage for vegetation and fruit, another will hunt, another will fish, another will make a fire and tend it, and another will gather for a shelter, the American's job is to consume the food. If the Asians voted the American off the island, the Asians lives would quickly improve because of all the extra free time and resources that they now have now that they don't have to prepare food and shelter for a free loader.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will use Peter Schiff's anology as it makes PERFECT sense.

You have six people on an island. Five are asian, one is american. They need food. So they get together and divy out jobs. One asian will forage for vegetation and fruit, another will hunt, another will fish, another will make a fire and tend it, and another will gather for a shelter, the American's job is to consume the food. If the Asians voted the American off the island, the Asians lives would quickly improve because of all the extra free time and resources that they now have now that they don't have to prepare food and shelter for a free loader.
    It's so simple. That quote really struck me when reading through the book. He has quite a few of those little analogies that really sum it all up nice and eloquently.