Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How low will Silver go?

How low will Silver go?

Silver has dropped below the $17.00/ounce mark once again.

I know that this is a loaded question, but I'm interested in hearing predictions about where it will go next (and what might cause this).

It seems that the gas price is driving this current downward trend.

Any predictions on how low it might go?

I've also read comments from people saying things like "Never buy silver when it goes above $17.00 an ounce." I'm just wondering what someone would do who wants an inflation hedge yet has no silver? Would it be safe to wait for the drop to happen? Would there be any indicators to say that the final price surge was coming?

It seems like we all could wake up some morning and find out that something occurred which would drive up prices to a point where they won't come back down. (Maybe.)

Just some questions to keep you up at night.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The last time it dropped below 17, I think it went to around 16.50 for a few days. I'd like to see it go much lower.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Well, looks like

other countries will be forced to lower rates sooner than later, dollar collapse delayed, I guess we exported a ton of junk paper to them as well. My guess is 14.00 to 14.50 sometime before elections.

Quote Originally Posted by pacelli View Post
    The last time it dropped below 17, I think it went to around 16.50 for a few days. I'd like to see it go much lower.

Yes, and then it was right back up over $18 for a short period. Up, down, up down. No biggie. Trend is up unless it is manipulated, in my very humble, newb opinion.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bruno1969 View Post
    Yes, and then it was right back up over $18 for a short period. Up, down, up down. No biggie. Trend is up unless it is manipulated, in my very humble, newb opinion.
    Interesting that you mention manipulation. It seemed that the very second that some very serious negative banking news came out, good gas price news came out as well. (About a week ago.)

How high is the correct question..

I think Schiff said... $500 by 2012 ? or maybe it was $50
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

I hope it goes lower so I can afford more of it
    Originally posted by revolutionman:
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

Originally Posted by amy31416:
    "Quit insulting snakes and lizards by comparing them to our politicians."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

I know last time the dollar really went up, Japan was heavily involved in the push upwards (not to mention well placed talking heads to talked the dollar up). Yesterday and today? I have no idea--though I suspect it's something similar...naturally when the dollar goes up, oil, gold, silver, and other commodities will go down.

The market doesn't move in straight lines, yes, but it doesn't make sudden big gains (USD) or losses (Gold, oil) either, especially when the overall trend is down. Overall, it's very aggravating, especially when you're trying to convince people that things are going down the tubes--if they notice that the dollar went up by a whole buck (and that oil is back down to around $120 a barrel), they're sure to think "good times are here again!" and reprimand you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm looking at silver right now and it is up 6 cents, but gold is still down $13. Silver definitely has held up better than gold in this correction. Usually silver gets hammered even worse.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SevenEyedJeff View Post
    I'm looking at silver right now and it is up 6 cents, but gold is still down $13. Silver definitely has held up better than gold in this correction. Usually silver gets hammered even worse.
    and crude just jump $3.36 as well (as well as the USD dropping 5 cents).

I tend to believe the dollar doesn't go up but rather the other currencies fall further and make it look like the dollar went up.

More and more new silver mines are coming into production. Plus since silver is an industrial metal, even industry or the economy slow down, demand for silver will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by New York For Paul View Post
    More and more new silver mines are coming into production. Plus since silver is an industrial metal, even industry or the economy slow down, demand for silver will drop.
    Not necessarily so.
    It takes around five years for a silver mine to even start production.

If the dollar crashes and I believe it will, then silver will become more than a commodity, it will become money. It won't lose value because real money does not lose value.

Silver would be easier to trade than gold.

Mines are opening up all over. I don't think it will take five years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/us/03wallace.html

CROWDS RUSHING TO THE NEW SILVER MINES.THE DISCOVERIES IN AND AROUND LEADVILLE

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...649C946890D7CF

http://www.mineweb.net/mineweb/view/...8775&sn=Detail

A new mine to open in august will produce 1.4 million ounces of silver this year.
    http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/...3022&sn=Detail

http://www.financialsense.com/Market...2004/0112.html
    From the time of discovery to the time a new mine is brought into production may take as long as 5-7 years.
    http://www.silveriswealth.com/78reasons.htm
    Silver MINES open and silver mines close. More primary silver mines are CLOSING than opening (usually due to depletion). A report from silver expert David Morgan, showed a loss of 50 million ounces of production in 2001.
    Yes, there may be some mines opening but there are more mines closing than there are mines opening.

I'm confused myself. Freddie and Fannie go under, and then the dollar suddenly becomes surprisingly strong?

Least oil is dropping

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bander87 View Post
    Least oil is dropping
    http://www.kitco.com/market/

it's actually gained $4.65 as of 4:57PM

minor update:

Quote Originally Posted by Mogambo Guru
    And while I don't know when that will happen, I do have an idea how high silver will get in price. The historical high for silver was set 531 years ago in 1477, topping at (using the purchasing power of 1998 dollars) a princely $806 an ounce. By comparison, the price of silver less than $19 an ounce today, and was only about $5 an ounce in 1998, after having bottomed at under $4 an ounce in 1992.

Now, fast-forward to today as our 2008 dollars, which have fallen 50% in purchasing power since 1998, means that the all-time high price for silver, set in 1477, now stands at $1,012 an ounce, measured in the buying power of 2008 dollars! Over a thousand dollars an ounce! For silver! Whee!

In case you haven't noticed, we're unmistakably coming off the lows of a 530-year bear market in silver and, theoretically, entering a long bull market, which ought to be exciting to people who have a lot riding on silver gaining so much in price (me), or even just keep up with this kind of thing, like, for instance, Israel Friedman, writing at InvestmentRarities.com, who notes that there are 5 billion ounces of gold sitting around someplace in the world, but that there are only 2.5 billion ounces of silver, even though five times as much silver is mined every year than gold.

Therefore, silver is being consumed at prodigious rates, which is why Mr Friedman says, "Silver is needed to maintain and improve future standards of living. Gold is needed for luxury and emotional reasons. Silver is for the optimist, gold for the pessimist."

In that optimistic vein, Mr Friedman says, "I honestly believe that silver must eventually sell for five to 10 times what the price of gold may be."

And that is just the kind of profit that I need! Whee!
    source: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_.../JG31Dj01.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    http://www.kitco.com/market/

it's actually gained $4.65 as of 4:57PM
    Longer term Fox :P

It's down to 126 from 144!

I don't understand the people that say don't buy silver unless it goes under $ 17, unless they already have a lot of it.

My advice is buy metals in the May through August period of seasonal weakness, and pick how much you will get depending on the price. For example,

Say you decide to go every Monday to get some metals, and get:

$ 400 worth if it's under $ 17
    $ 300 worth if it's $17-18
    $ 200 worth if it's $18-19
    $ 100 worth if it's $19-20

When it breaks out of the range, then sit back and watch it go up, and wait for another major correction and set another strategy. These people that say to only buy under $ 17, aren't going to end up with much in the way of silver because it's just not going to be there long. When silver goes to $ 35 or $ 40 are you going to be worried about whether you bought it at $ 16 or $ 19?

Quote Originally Posted by 123tim View Post
    Silver has dropped below the $17.00/ounce mark once again.

I know that this is a loaded question, but I'm interested in hearing predictions about where it will go next (and what might cause this).

It seems that the gas price is driving this current downward trend.

Any predictions on how low it might go?

I've also read comments from people saying things like "Never buy silver when it goes above $17.00 an ounce." I'm just wondering what someone would do who wants an inflation hedge yet has no silver? Would it be safe to wait for the drop to happen? Would there be any indicators to say that the final price surge was coming?

It seems like we all could wake up some morning and find out that something occurred which would drive up prices to a point where they won't come back down. (Maybe.)

Just some questions to keep you up at night.
    If i'm a betting man silver is hitting it's cycle lows now, like gold, and headed up August......i suspect september-october will see the real gains in silver

Quote Originally Posted by buffalokid777 View Post
    If i'm a betting man silver is hitting it's cycle lows now, like gold, and headed up August......i suspect september-october will see the real gains in silver
    Something happened this morning when Silver hit the 8:00 N.Y. NYMEX. It shot up instantly. Take a look at the graph:

http://66.38.218.33/charts/livesilver.html

I see nothing in the news to indicate what might have caused this.

I think the drop in price was just one of the last shake off's for the weak kneed.

PM's are going to skyrocket soon. It's inevitable as the economy sinks.

I wish I had bought silver when Warren Buffet did at 4 dollars an ounce.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just bought a bunch of silver so based on the typical performance of my investments silver should lose most of its value in the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post
    I just bought a bunch of silver so based on the typical performance of my investments silver should lose most of its value in the next year or so.
    Ah, but silver is not an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post
    As fall approaches I think you'll feel good about the choice you made.

Quote Originally Posted by 123tim View Post
    Something happened this morning when Silver hit the 8:00 N.Y. NYMEX. It shot up instantly. Take a look at the graph:

http://66.38.218.33/charts/livesilver.html

I see nothing in the news to indicate what might have caused this.
    Did you happen to see the dollar index?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Ah, but silver is not an investment.
    True, but my non-investments don't do much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bander87 View Post
    Did you happen to see the dollar index?
    No, Honestly I'm sort of an economic idiot. (Seriously) I never thought along monetary lines my whole life except to work hard and save my money. I always thought that this would suffice.

I had no idea of the divisive, evil tactics which were going on behind the U.S./World economic scene. I didn't even know what caused inflation until last year.

I find myself struggling to get up to speed (Concerning REAL economics) in order to survive. Honestly I feel sort of cheated that I have to do this....Econimic thinking doesn't come naturally to me. Luckily for me I feel that no learning is wasted learning.

I'm going to Google the dollar index now to see if I can figure out what happened.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast