Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Must See Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'll add Ender's Game.
    You would!

Having read te books, I'm currently eagerly anticipating the release of the second installment of "The Hunger Games."
    Last edited by angelatc; 11-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You would!

Having read te books, I'm currently eagerly anticipating the release of the second installment of "The Hunger Games."
    The trailer for the next Hunger Games looks pretty good. I've read the books as well- don't usually like books written in the 1st person, but the series was pretty decent.

BTW- I'm called Ender because my real name is Andrew and my Mom had read Ender's Game. I also recommend the books and the movie because of the incredible precision that OSC forecasts the technology of war- not to mention the internet and information tech.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You would!

Not that these things are foolproof, but the early reviews (and the previews) seem to show that there are more details and the actors are given better material than in the first one. I am going to see it this weekend with my niece
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Christopher Hitchens referenced this film while speaking about the virtues of free speech.

Here's a brilliant piece of writing from A Man For All Seasons (1966) with plenty of contemporary relevance:

That piece is ripped from Thomas Paine, who almost wrote that word for word. Well, 1966 was a different time I suppose.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

LOL, seriously, though, this one is underrated:

A pair of working-class brothers flee their Reno Motel after getting involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident.
    Last edited by CPUd; 11-21-2013 at 03:08 AM.

I think the woman who wrote "The Hunger Games" is a member here.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I think the woman who wrote "The Hunger Games" is a member here.
    That would be awesome. I love stealth activists!

I saw the second film yesterday. I'm far too much a fan to be objective though.

I will say that I like Peeta in the movie, but he annoyed me in the books.

Lonely are the Brave

Based on a novel by iconclast Edward Abbey

Kirk Douglas stars as the man of integrity who has no use for authority but ends up in direct conflict with it. Also starring Walter Matthau, George Kennedy, Carrol O'Conner, and other greats.

You will love this movie.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    (this is a documentary, not a "movie")

VERY GOOD - Grinding America Down

Last edited by devil21; 12-21-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I'd add The Master (PT Anderson movie with Philip Seymour Hofman and Joaquin Phoenix) to the "individualist/anti-collectivist" list.

At least, that's what I got out of it. It's a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    I'd add The Master (PT Anderson movie with Philip Seymour Hofman and Joaquin Phoenix) to the "individualist/anti-collectivist" list.

At least, that's what I got out of it. It's a trip.
    It's loosely based on Scientology, at least some of the techniques he uses.

A good one meant for 3D-IMAX:

It's not really a movie, the 'plot' is mostly given away in the trailer. It's a concert.

Awesome thread! I don't have time to compile a list at the moment but as far as tv series are concerned my favorite of all time for anti-war is China Beach.

I just got through watching the series again after taking the dvds out of the library. I personally liked it because it was about war as seen from a woman's perspective. Great writing, cinematography, soundtrack, the acting by Dana Delany, Marg Helgenberger.. Just so touching and funny at times as well. (And I think the best opening of a tv series EVER)

Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post

LOL, seriously, though, this one is underrated:

I worked on the set of The Motel Life. Yay, Im a Selebraty! Production Assistant.

---

---

Oh, and this is in the news also:

It’s A Wonderful Life Report Censored

UPDATE: Our Infowars Nightly News free-speech protected analysis of the film It’s A Wonderful Life was taken down by YouTube after only 24 hours. Infowars follows a high standard of copyright recognition developed through many consultations with various lawyers. The censorship of our review is a gross misappropriation of copyright law, which allows companies outside of court to claim copyright infringement on something that clearly isn’t a violation. Our review was clearly a political analysis showing short clips of It’s A Wonderful Life and tying them into current bankster behavior operating through the Federal Reserve, the IMF and the World Bank.

This is a great example of how CSIPA and SOPA would legalize this misappropriation of copyright enforcement that these companies are currently engaging in.

Videos on Youtube are being taken down completely because of mere accusations that they violate copyrights, regardless if the copyright claim is completely unfounded and bogus.

This was a pure political move meant to censor our powerful report exposing the truth on the fractional-reserve, fiat banking system. The full version of It’s A Wonderful Life has been available on YouTube since Feb. 2012 and has over 700,000 views, but YouTube has not taken it down. That’s because the real agenda is not copyright enforcement but rather it’s about censoring the truth and protecting the global cartels within the state-corporate nexus.

We aired our review on the Dec. 24 edition of Alex Jones Show and on the Infowars Nightly News and it is clearly covered by fair use because it analyzes a cultural phenomenon and its historical roots. It’s a wonderful life – for the banksters that brought our country under so much tyranny that could never exist under a system of sound money.

Because our film review is so effective, they took it down. But here it is again in full:

Mr. Henry F. Potter, the president of the Building and Loan Association in the 1946 film It’s a Wonderful Life, has very striking similarities to the modern day banksters working through the Federal Reserve to sap the nation’s wealth.

As we look back over the past hundred years, America has experienced the Great Depression, multiple recessions, stagflation and the loss of 99% of the dollarʼs purchasing power – none of it wouldʼve been possible without the Federal Reserve, creating bubbles and bursting them, enslaving us with debt and destroying our purchasing power and our ability to save through inflation.

Yes, itʼs been a wonderful lie — for the banksters.

And many Americans are left like George Bailey. Facing the collapse of their dreams and financial ruin.

There are striking parallels in Frank Capraʼs Itʼs a Wonderful Life to lies and tricks of the modern banker elite. Human nature doesnʼt change and the greedy elite of 1913 and 2013 look much like Potter.

Please spread the message and make this film go viral.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 12-25-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

This was pretty good movie. I watched it yesterday.

Maytime (1937)

I saw a really good old movie on Turner Classic Movies over the weekend.

I was so old the moral of it was that maybe a young women might want to chose having a family over a career. At least that was a little of what it was about. Actually she could have chose either way.

It had some great scenes of a May Festival and some great snow scenes.

It starts out a young couple is having an argument. The man wants to get married and his wife at home. The women wants to go off to New York and have a try at becoming a singer. They argue and he leaves.

A next door neighbors hears the argument and calls her over. She tells the young lady that though they've lived next door that she never really told her anything about her life.

Then the movie shifts to her life as a young women.

It goes on to tell of when she made it as a singer and sang before Napoleons Court. Some of the best singing I've ever heard happen in this scene. She has the most beautiful control and voice range. You just have to hear it.

She meets someone but sticks with her life as a singer. Actually there is a lot more to it than that.

Lots happens and some great May Festival scenes. I don't think they could do it anymore. It looked to much to be history happening more than a reenactment.

Anyway near the end it gets back to the present time and talking to the young lady who now knows a little something about the women she's been neighbors with.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029222/

Original Trailer and some other clips on the side. Really Good and gets you to the good parts really fast.

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy MAYTIME Czaritza clip

Maytime

Maytime is an important political movie at this time I'm thinking. Most young people don't realize that there are times in life for things if your going to do them. A persons May Time is a real heart breaker if you let it slip away.

Last edited by timosman; 11-01-2015 at 10:24 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!

Says the Orc living in Mordor....

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Not sure if it's been mentioned - too lazy to read the whole thread.

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post

Meh.

Even the trees walked in those f*****g movies.

One of My All-Time Favorites

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Some worth watching for anyone in quarantine..
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Some worth watching for anyone in quarantine..
    Harriet. 2019, story of Harriet Tubman's underground railroad. Very well done, and a good example of how to resist tyrannical government. Kasi Lemmons is an excellent screenplay writer and director!

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Best film I saw in 2019- about forgiveness.

There is no spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Rang De Basanti

War Machine
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Need to add Slumdog Millionaire to the list.

Just saw it again a few days ago & remembered what a fantastic story it is.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Best film I saw in 2019- about forgiveness.

Couldn't agree more! Excellent, excellent film!

Last edited by uncharted; 07-06-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Jones, which is about a journalist exposing the Holodomor (genocidal forced famine imposed by the Soviets on Ukraine and whitewashed by the New York Times Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Walter Duranty) was recently released in North America. I wouldn't call it "must see" but it is a very solid movie that is well acted and paints a vividly bleak picture of the Ukraine when he finally arrives there. It's not often that anti-Communist movies come out (when's the last time you saw or even heard of one?) so it's worthy of your support. Theatres are closed but you can rent this online ($4 - $5) on Youtube or Amazon Prime (I watched on Amazon, don't need to be a Prime member) or buy the DVD (Blu-Ray seems to only have an overseas release)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast