Thread: Educating an "abandoned" traditional republican

Educating an "abandoned" traditional republican

There is an individual where i work who is a die-hard republican. Not really a neo-con, in that he actually does understand what the traditional republican values are (fiscal responsibility, individual rights, etc).

However, he is convinced our presence and actions (even iraq!) are for the better. With Iraq he says "we removed a dictator", and we went in because we were genuinely mistaken and thought iraq had WMDs.

He is pretty strong in his support for McCain, not because he is the best choice, but because he is the republican "lesser of two evils".

If I ask him about Ron Paul, he simply says Ron Paul is a "quack" or wacko. He basically formed this opinion without even doing research, and admits he paid no attention to him during any debates for this reason. He can identify not a single thing Paul stands for (that he likes or dislikes).

This man is NOT unintelligent, and is NOT apathetic to the workings of his government. He votes in every election, and he actively gets others to vote.

He was very displeased with me when he asked if I would vote for McCain or Obama. I told him Obama "not because he'd do a better job, but because he would do a far worse job, but it would bring our empire to an end quicker". His knee-jerk reaction was along the lines of "you would actually want to see our country fall?" to which I replied "Absolutely not, but I would like to see our people actually have a say in our government, voting for the lesser of two evils will not accomplish that, if our government has to be rebuilt, it would most likely be around our constitution, if not, a revolution is probably overdue anyway, patriotism is not loyalty to your government, it is loyalty to your country, there is a difference".

I've been slowly feeding him the information about Ron Paul and what he stands for. To my satisfaction, he told me "I need to read the constitution more, you're obviously more familiar with it than I am". He now has a pocket constitution he reads during his spare time (and i frequently refer to in our discussions).

Any suggestions for continuing the political education of this individual.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe buy him this...

?
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

I offered him my copy. He's not interested. I'll probably just ask him to read the first 10 pages, and if he still doesn't want to read it, just give it back to me.

Maybe that'll work.

Great!

Good for you!

You will only get these people to listen to you and not the mainstream media (isn't that where they get this quack and wacko nonsense in the first place?) if you set a good example by your own behavior and dedication to conservatism and the constitution and then gently lead them to see in sound bytes where they are wrong.

I have a religious friend who was tricked by Huckabee and now she sees the light.

So my advice is, go slowly, build slowly, like you would a new relationship.

Don't overwhelm people with info to prove what you are saying because it is often too much for them to absorb and understand at first and thus you will get people throwing the conspiracy theory charge at you (Like that electronicmaji poster on here)

Some people's brains can only absorb so much.

For example, if you work in a school you can easily connect the dots to the UN when the teachers complain about some stupid senseless thing they have to do if you point out the program, who voted for it and how they got it in the first place...