Thread: HBO Rome

HBO Rome

I don't know if anyone has seen this series, and I don't know how historical accuracy but I was watching the episode "Triumph" last night and it just made me sick.

It was an episode celebrating Ceasars triumph over Pompus and the end of the republic. As you watch Ceasar takes emporer status, and people keep defending the abolishment of the republic by defending Ceasar as a just, mericiful leader. He got the will of the people behind by handouts of bread, free rent and land to "deserving Romans". They even were showcasing fake democratic elections for the people.

For some reason I can't help but connect this to today. I mean you look at all the arguments by the republcrats and it we need to give, give give these people deserve it, but all they are really is doing is giving themselves more power till one day people we will wake up and our republic will be gone. But it will be a "just" tyrant we will be in servatute for. But eventially that "just" tyrant, dies, get assinated, etc or the power corrupts him that all "just" is gone. And you can NEVER get the republic back.

This is what the republicans really don't get!!! I keep hearing "what do you have to be afraid of". Bush only away spies on potential terrorist. Now I actually believe this, however that does not excuse it. The next president may not. He now has set a precidence that violiating liberties is ok. That is why no matter the situation you can not allow the government to impede your liberties. What if we attack Iran around November will the republicans demand we ignore the presidentiall election till the conflict is resolves. Where is the line drawn?

This episode just really made me sick to my stomach. When will people wake up and see what our government is doing to us. Not just right now, but the effect it will have in 5, 10 or even 20 years from now. Once the republic is abolished it will be almost impossible to get it back.

All I can say is thank god for Ron Paul and this movement!! We may save the country yet.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ROME.....this is one of the best, if not the best, mini series I have EVER watched.

They employed a team of PHD historians to make sure they portrayed life in the time of Rome as historically accurate as possible.

I HIGHLY recommend this series to any history buffs out there....I even ending up buying the dvd set from HBO

1000 thumbs up to ROME

well worth a blockbuster rental? i know i missed a darn good series...