Thread: Where should I have my checking and/or savings account?

Where should I have my checking and/or savings account?

I currently have a checking account with Bank of America. I don't think it's going to go under - at least the government will bail them out... But I want to move it, just in case - and their interest rate is bad (i.e. 0% on checking).

However, what is a good bank to keep my deposits in right now? I'm thinking of stable foreign banks that have a presence in the U.S. and are FDIC insured. I'm looking at HSBC Direct - 2.25% interest on checking and 3.5% on savings. I believe HSBC is in fairly good shape. What other banks would you recommend?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've heard lots of great things about Everbank from people on here and elsewhere.

http://www.everbank.com

Don't think for one second that any interest rate will keep up with inflation. Anyway if you want a high rate of return ING Direct or Charles Schwab have pretty high rates. The only bad thing is that they don't have physical branches, you do everything online. I use ING Direct and it's been a little annoying, depositing money in one account then transferring it to ING.

If you're open to investing (stocks and bonds) I'd look into Charles Schwab.

Another good thing about ING Direct is that you don't pay overdraft fees. You have a small line of credit attached to your checking account and you just owe interest if you get into the red.
    Last edited by TastyWheat; 07-14-2008 at 02:55 PM.

And then they start eating it up lol.....

And they say that the media can't scare people into b.s. worries. It almost seems like this has happened before hmmn....

I can't wait for the media to tell everyone that guys look cool wearing pink and men start doing that as well... O wait that happened as well..

A thought, turn off the talking box in your living room. Those people with over 100k in MULTIPLE banks odds are know what to do and how to go about it and those who actually "worry" odds are have nowhere near the 100k to even worry about....
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    And then they start eating it up lol.....

And they say that the media can't scare people into b.s. worries. It almost seems like this has happened before hmmn....

I can't wait for the media to tell everyone that guys look cool wearing pink and men start doing that as well... O wait that happened as well..

A thought, turn off the talking box in your living room. Those people with over 100k in MULTIPLE banks odds are know what to do and how to go about it and those who actually "worry" odds are have nowhere near the 100k to even worry about....
    So you're implying I should just sit still and allow my big ol' government to take care of me while the banks literally bankrupt - with the only safeguard is that the FDIC "promises" to guarantee accounts up to $100,000 and bail out banks. The problem is that people are NOT worried - they think everything is going to be OK and government is going to take care of them. What are the b.s. worries? I'm sure you're really comfortable with the balance sheets of these banks...

What do people with multiple bank accounts over $100K do? They probably have some of their money in foreign banks, countries, and investments...

Well...I listened to Jim Rogers the other day. He said he is getting rid of ALL his federal reserve notes. He invests in commodities, he has exchanged them for either japanese yen or swiss francs...heck..who knows. I betcha one thing...those big money wall street guys probably have also gotten rid of their dollars.. i wouldnt' think they have any in the banks either..lol..well..there IS no money in the banks. tones

Anglo Far East. Screw US Banks.

Switch out your US dollars for REAL MONEY and watch your value rise faster than any measly US bank interest would ever give you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ticker: FXF --- I keep many of my FRNs in swiss francs
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

I recommend GoldMoney. You can have interest earning national currency balances or bullion. Very safe, affordable and secure.

For domestic US banks probably Wells Fargo is the best; but they have problems to.

I haven't read any bad news about Chase. They seem to have steered clear of the mortgage crisis. They'll be one of the last national banks needing a bailout. But they do not offer competitive interest rates.
    Last edited by spudea; 07-14-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin69 View Post

Switch out your US dollars for REAL MONEY and watch your value rise faster than any measly US bank interest would ever give you.
    QFT

Anglo Far East
    "When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Your Financial Future - Market Commentary, Economics, Metals

Anglo Far-East Private Gold and Silver bullion, Numbered Accounts in the Swiss Tradition, Total Privacy, Buy/Sell Gold or Silver Bullion Online, Lloyds of London, Vaults in Switzerland

The Crash Course: Short Video Series to understand why we have financial chaos, and how to protect yourself

Yes that is EXACTLY what I meant. WOW....

Quote Originally Posted by zzzz8 View Post
    So you're implying I should just sit still and allow my big ol' government to take care of me while the banks literally bankrupt
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    Yes that is EXACTLY what I meant. WOW....
    Here's a snippet of your comments:

And they say that the media can't scare people into b.s. worries.
    You described my worries as "b.s." This implies I should not worry about my banking account (and by extension, the banking system) and that somehow things will just work out well. Perhaps you can clarify your comment now - am I misinterpreting your comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin69 View Post

This is in Panama, isn't it? Money is safe until another junta coup
    No more Mr. Bad guy

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FDIC insures up to $100k , but I don't believe they'll maintain well if hundreds of banks start going under.

Spread your money around, probably best bet, that's what I do. I don't keep a lot in the bank though in general. I do some gold, some cash, some in bank, some stocks etc.

Invest in a safe, bolt it to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice View Post
    This is in Panama, isn't it? Money is safe until another junta coup
    It appears you haven't done your research.
    "When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Anglo Far-East Private Gold and Silver bullion, Numbered Accounts in the Swiss Tradition, Total Privacy, Buy/Sell Gold or Silver Bullion Online, Lloyds of London, Vaults in Switzerland

The Crash Course: Short Video Series to understand why we have financial chaos, and how to protect yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rapidtrends View Post
    It appears you haven't done your research.
    Head Office & Operations
    The Anglo Far-East Bullion Company
    Level 23, Monticello Building, Marbella,
    Panamá City, Republic of Panamá
    Phone : + 507 264 0164
    Facsimile : + 507 264 8367

Asia/Pacific Representative Office
    Unit 801, 8th Floor, Pacific House,
    20 Queens Road, Central, Hong Kong
    Phone : +852 8124 1265

I hope the vaults aren't in Panama, too
    No more Mr. Bad guy

Where? Switzerland!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice View Post
    Head Office & Operations
    The Anglo Far-East Bullion Company
    Level 23, Monticello Building, Marbella,
    Panamá City, Republic of Panamá
    Phone : + 507 264 0164
    Facsimile : + 507 264 8367

Asia/Pacific Representative Office
    Unit 801, 8th Floor, Pacific House,
    20 Queens Road, Central, Hong Kong
    Phone : +852 8124 1265

I hope the vaults aren't in Panama, too
    I encourage you to study the most sound methods of multi-jurisdictional wealth protection available to man.

Here is a brief article by Gold investing legend, Jim Sinclair: http://www.rapidtrends.com/blog/addi...oxes-sinclair/

In the article, Mr Sinclair describes a mutli-jurisdictional legal structure that offers protection that is virtually untouchable.

If you can grasp what he is saying, you will understand. If not, then not.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidtrends View Post
    I encourage you to study the most sound methods of multi-jurisdictional wealth protection available to man.

Here is a brief article by Gold investing legend, Jim Sinclair: http://www.rapidtrends.com/blog/addi...oxes-sinclair/

In the article, Mr Sinclair describes a mutli-jurisdictional legal structure that offers protection that is virtually untouchable.

If you can grasp what he is saying, you will understand. If not, then not.
    What does this have to do with a rebel general seizing my funds/records in a coup?

I work for hedge funds and I know why they're usually incorporated in Bermuda/ Cayman/Switzerland and not El Salvador.

I've been reading Jim Sinclair religiously the past year or so. The man is amazing and a quasi-prophet.
    No more Mr. Bad guy

FDIC is a false sense of security. If Bank of America fails, the government has to run the printing press to insure all those deposits. That means they devalue the dollar. Your 100k might only be worth 95 when they are done bailing out Bank of America. If they have to do it to a few more banks, your 100k might only be worth 60k. Hell, your 100k in 2000 is only worth 60k now in year 2000 dollars. I'd keep the bare minimum of your money in dollars right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
    FDIC is a false sense of security. If Bank of America fails, the government has to run the printing press to insure all those deposits. That means they devalue the dollar. Your 100k might only be worth 95 when they are done bailing out Bank of America. If they have to do it to a few more banks, your 100k might only be worth 60k. Hell, your 100k in 2000 is only worth 60k now in year 2000 dollars. I'd keep the bare minimum of your money in dollars right now.
    true. 10% of FDIC's reserves were just consumed by Indymac's failure. If a couple larger banks fail there will be no FDIC insurance left.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If all the banks start to fail they will just keep printing the money to cover it. If they don’t their will be riots and people killing each other over food and ammo.
    It is much more likely that the government will be able to keep the sheep asleep by pressuring business into increasing wages to almost keep up with inflation.
    It also wouldn’t surprise me if the government used a huge bank run as an excuse for doing away with paper money and started handing out photo ID national debit cards because they cant meet the cash demand.

I was just looking at the Everbank site. Does everyone feel 100% confident that the US government would not freeze all our assets in foreign currency as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I was just looking at the Everbank site. Does everyone feel 100% confident that the US government would not freeze all our assets in foreign currency as well?
    If its within US Jurisdiction, the US Government has control over it.

I am not saying they are going to start freezing accounts, I have no idea, but if its in the jurisdiction they control it and can do what they like.