Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omlet

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

I know it is a huge waste of money and all..but I want one of their "eglu cubes."

They don't even sell them in the US, though.
    Omlet? Just fry an egg in a frying pan and stick it between two pieces of bread.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tip: Chickens get lice, mites and other parasites from time to time. To see if a chicken has lice, grab her (easier said than done sometimes), lay her on her back, and gently move the feathers away from her skin. If you see flat flesh-colored critters on her skin, those are lice. To get rid of lice, dust each chicken with food-grade diatomaceous earth (my preference) or Sevin dust like you can get at any feed or hardware store. I use an old sock filled with DE and just use it like a powder puff on the chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Emanuel Watkins View Post
    A fart is change. Our founding fathers did a lot more than just fart.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can I have a pet chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTheLibertarian View Post
    Can I have a pet chicken?
    Sure. If you want to clean up the doodoo. I've never been able to box-train any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by asgardshill View Post
    Sure. If you want to clean up the doodoo. I've never been able to box-train any of mine.
    Yeah, I don't how people can kill the poor animals, but they just taste so good. I can't help myself, I like popcorn chicken.

How much do live chickens usually go for? I'd like a pet chicken. I'll feed him some kfc

Quote Originally Posted by asgardshill View Post
    Tip: Chickens get lice, mites and other parasites from time to time. To see if a chicken has lice, grab her (easier said than done sometimes), lay her on her back, and gently move the feathers away from her skin. If you see flat flesh-colored critters on her skin, those are lice. To get rid of lice, dust each chicken with food-grade diatomaceous earth (my preference) or Sevin dust like you can get at any feed or hardware store. I use an old sock filled with DE and just use it like a powder puff on the chicken.
    I'm impressed w/your knowledge sir, exactly done.....

pet rabbits are easier

back to chickens, rather, uh turkeys. I had a friend who raised a turkey for Thanksgiving, it was huge. Tom, my friend, had never killed a turkey before, so set out w/his bowie knife and went forth.

The turkey ran. Tom did his best and finally tackled the turkey (booze was involved as well as other substances, hey it was the 80's.....) and went astride. He then attempted to cut the turkey's throat. Who knew that a turkey's throat was so tough? Tom rode the turkey for about 15 or 20 minutes before the deed was done. The side of the shed looked like St. Valentines Day Massacure. Arterial blood all over everywhere. I think the turkey just gave up.

So on to the cleaning and plucking. We strung him up (remember this is a LARGE bird) and set a small fire under to warm us and to hopefully help with the plucking. Well, neither worked very good so we were very cold and the turkey was sorta kiinda plucked. We figured if you didn't like feathers, you could just pull it off before eating it.

Got the turkey cleaned up and stuffed. It didn't fit into the oven. I kid you not, we couldn't close the door to the oven. Aluminum foil was put into use as well as extra oven mitts and duct tapes.

I never tasted a bird so good.

The bonfire late into the night was good also....

I have one rhodeisland red rooster and 3 red hens, 3 wild hens I caught snd two wild roosters.

The wild hens in the neighborhood just had 10 more chicks a few days ago, I have to catch them.

They'll eat bugs, grass and mostly all of the veggie scraps.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

Feeding them grains costs too much.

craigslist will sometimes have livestock for sale, that's where I got my reds.

Feed the chicks sand, starter feed for 6 weeks and various bugs.. etc.

If you live in a cold climate go with barred rocks.

Down south I would go with orpingtons or reds.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post
    pet rabbits are easier

back to chickens, rather, uh turkeys. I had a friend who raised a turkey for Thanksgiving, it was huge. Tom, my friend, had never killed a turkey before, so set out w/his bowie knife and went forth.

The turkey ran. Tom did his best and finally tackled the turkey (booze was involved as well as other substances, hey it was the 80's.....) and went astride. He then attempted to cut the turkey's throat. Who knew that a turkey's throat was so tough? Tom rode the turkey for about 15 or 20 minutes before the deed was done. The side of the shed looked like St. Valentines Day Massacure. Arterial blood all over everywhere. I think the turkey just gave up.

So on to the cleaning and plucking. We strung him up (remember this is a LARGE bird) and set a small fire under to warm us and to hopefully help with the plucking. Well, neither worked very good so we were very cold and the turkey was sorta kiinda plucked. We figured if you didn't like feathers, you could just pull it off before eating it.

Got the turkey cleaned up and stuffed. It didn't fit into the oven. I kid you not, we couldn't close the door to the oven. Aluminum foil was put into use as well as extra oven mitts and duct tapes.

I never tasted a bird so good.

The bonfire late into the night was good also....
    Poor turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post
    I'm impressed w/your knowledge sir, exactly done.....
    All learned at Mom's knee. She raised chickens for 50 years, and her mother for 80 years before her.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I don't how people can kill the poor animals, but they just taste so good. I can't help myself, I like popcorn chicken.

How much do live chickens usually go for? I'd like a pet chicken. I'll feed him some kfc
    Chicks go for a buck or two apiece; pullets (older chickens) are a bit more. Prices vary of course depending on where you are. Go sexed if you don't want roosters or straight-run if you don't mind having about 50 percent roosters.

speaking of kfc

Notice the subliminal message of a human (left blue face figure) cutting a chicken's head off?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen72289 View Post
    speaking of kfc

Notice the subliminal message of a human (left blue face figure) cutting a chicken's head off?
    This one's VERY subliminal. You really have to look at it closely to even get an inkling that its a chicken ...

Yum.

Omlet? Just fry an egg in a frying pan and stick it between two pieces of bread.
    Okay, Joseph? That is a fried egg sammich.

NOT an omelet.

lol...
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12