Thread: GCO: Atlanta plans to announce the arresting of any carry within the law tomorrow

GCO: Atlanta plans to announce the arresting of any carry within the law tomorrow

from www.georgiacarry.org :

Altanta Mayor Does Not Believe Herself Bound by State Law
    June 30th, 2008

The City of Atlanta just issued a press release with a headline that declares, “Atlanta Mayor, Airport GM Declare Airport a Gun-Free Zone.” HB 89 takes effect tomorrow and it declares the policy of the state of Georgia, which is that transportation terminals are no longer off limits. Mayor Shirley Franklin and airport General Manager Ben DeCosta are holding a press conference tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. in the airport atrium (clock tower). GCO will be watching this issue closely. If the City of Atlanta clearly states that it will follow through with its threat, then GCO will file suit before the press conference is over.

Has Mayor Franklin forgotten about her recent loss in court to GCO, back in May?

The ironic thing is that they have stated publicly that they will arrest State Sen Tim Bearden who authored the law if he shows up carrying tomorrow.

Mr. Bearden has stated publicly that he will be armed when he picks up a friend flying into the airport.

So tomorrow with complete disregard of the rule of law the mayor will order the man who wrote it arrested for carrying legally.

anyone hear ever heard of 1983 :P wonder if he will end up with some extra campaign funds this is a man that i would vote for if he was in my district

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Right thing to be doing here is to call forth the militia to execute the laws of the state and accompany the Senator and prevent him from being arrested.
    If this should be, our final stand,
    we will stand together with pride
    We will honour the past, and fight to the last,
    it will be a good way to die
    It matters not, if the cause is lost,
    and we can not stop the tide
    We will fight to the end, and then fight again,

yeah that would be awesome

link from alanta journal constitution

Dear GCO Member,

The AJC is reporting that anybody carrying a firearm at Hartsfield will be arrested. No charge is listed. Rep. Bearden was interviewed, and he stated that he will defy Atlanta's illegal decree. The airport swears it will arrest Rep. Bearden, and that they "know what he looks like."

The excuse? Terrorism. Yeah, Rep. Bearden is a probably a terrorist, in the eyes of Ben DeCosta.

GCO will not stand by and watch this happen. Stay tuned.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/..._showdown.html

New gun law sets stage for airport showdown
    Lawmaker says he'll defy city's ban on weapons

By JIM THARPE
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/01/08

You could call it the Atlanta version of "High Noon."

Top city officials will announce Tuesday that despite a new state gun law that went into effect at midnight, they will have anyone carrying a weapon at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport arrested. The state lawmaker who sponsored the new gun law says if they do, the city will immediately be sued. And state Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica) said the plaintiff in the lawsuit could be himself.

"I have a permit, and I have family I have to pick up at the airport tomorrow [Tuesday]," Bearden told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday. "I'll have one [a concealed weapon] with me at all times."

Airport General Manager Ben DeCosta said if Bearden shows up at the world's busiest airport with a gun, he'll be busted.

"I can identify him, and I'll have him arrested," DeCosta said Monday. "We're not fooling around. This is a post-terrorism environment."

The new law, which Bearden sponsored, permits licensed gun owners to carry concealed firearms in parks, on public transportation and in restaurants that serve liquor. The law takes effect Tuesday.

Firearms proponents hailed the law as a victory for the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. They say law-abiding citizens with the appropriate permits should be allowed to carry firearms in formerly forbidden areas for self-protection.

Before the new law was passed, Georgia law banned guns from venues like public transportation and restaurants serving alcohol. More than 40 other states permit guns on public transportation, Bearden said, and 37 allow permit holders to carry weapons into restaurants.

"I was in law enforcement for 15 years," Bearden said as the bill awaited the governor's signature two months ago. "I never rode up on a shooting in progress. I don't like the idea of the police telling you, 'Get mugged, get raped, get murdered. We'll come by, take the report, or send flowers.' That's the wrong message."

Opponents, however, blasted the proposal, saying it has the potential to spark more violence than it stops. DeCosta wrote to Gov. Sonny Perdue asking him to veto the bill, and Mayor Shirley Franklin and MARTA officials publicly lambasted the idea. MARTA bus drivers gathered more than 1,000 signatures on petitions demanding bulletproof shields.

Federal law already bans guns past the security checkpoints at U.S. airports. The new state law, however, apparently would permit guns to be carried on the non-secure side of Hartsfield-Jackson by people who have gone through a background check and have been certified to carry a weapon. Licensed gun owners would be permitted to carry weapons on public transportation coming into the airport, its lobby and in restaurants outside the security checkpoints.

DeCosta said he will use the first day the new law takes effect to declare Hartsfield-Jackson a "gun-free" zone.

"We're going to make it clear that the law does not make any allowance for guns at the airport," DeCosta said. "Guns are not appropriate for any airport in Georgia."

He and Franklin plan a 10 a.m. news conference to discuss the new gun law.

Bearden said the new law clearly permits guns in some areas of the airport.

"They are not appropriate once you go past security," he said. "But in parking lots or restaurants or public transportation, they are OK."

The state lawmaker said the city does not have the authority to defy a state law, and if they make arrests they will end up in court.

DeCosta said city officials will not back down from their position on the new law and again vowed to have Bearden or anyone else carrying a gun on airport property arrested.

"He can then have all the NRA [National Rifle Association] lawyers say why it's OK for him to bring a gun to the airport," DeCosta said.

MARTA, meanwhile, released a statement late Monday noting that state law prohibits firearms on public transit unless the carrier has a valid license to carry a gun.

"This license must be carried at any time that an individual is carrying a firearm on MARTA," the statement said.

There is a comments section. Please make wise use of it to post logical, cogent commentary.

That airport needs to be flooded with patriots!

Are we going to continue to cower?

The enemy, these tyrants, their "rule" is so fragile that they depend on layer upon layer to make laws that have no grounds. They go unchallenged.

If enough people showed up, armed people, if the place was flooded, and they need not be showing they are armed - in fact even if most of them were unarmed but nobody knew - the tyrants and their orc minions of Atlanta will blink. They are used to having all the force over a public that is conditioned to grab the ankles.

Just once, just once if there was a worthy answer to this crap, the kind the men of the 1770s would have provided, the tables would begin to turn. Just this once, and it may turn out that the future of our freedom is decided in Atlanta.

Will the southrons turn out? Or has the defeat of 1865 laid them so low to loving their Union chains that they will sit on their asses and hide in their homes, petting their rifles "waiting for the day" knowing full well that most of them waited all their lives, or will, and the day never comes until we bring it on.
    If this should be, our final stand,
    we will stand together with pride
    We will honour the past, and fight to the last,
    It matters not, if the cause is lost,
    and we can not stop the tide
    We will fight to the end, and then fight again,

i would show up if i lived closer, im about 5 1/2 hours away

Dear GCO Member,

Today is a busy day.

(1) GCO Sues Mayor Franklin

More information will follow, but we wanted you to hear it from us first. GCO attorney John "Sledgehammer" Monroe filed a federal lawsuit this morning against Atlanta, Mayor Shirley Franklin, and airport manager Ben Decosta, seeking to enjoin them from arresting people who are obeying state law.

State Rep. Tim Bearden (Dist. 68) is a plaintiff in the lawsuit, as Ben DeCosta last night made a specific threat to arrest him today.

The lawsuit is being served on the recalcitrant public officials even while you are reading this Update. More to follow . . .

(2) Don't Forget about Dinner with GCO

As you know, HB 89 takes effect on July 1 (today!), and it is no longer a crime to carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so long as one does not consume alcohol at the restaurant while armed.

Christo's is a restaurant in Marietta that is owned by a GCO member and is inviting GCO members to dine in its restaurant armed. Many GCO members are eager to show up and celebrate the same day HB 89 takes effect. Several of the GCO officers and board members will be showing up around 7:00 p.m. to feast on pizza, calzone, and gyros. Many are coming earlier or later. Expect some television news cameras.

Christo's is located in the Publix Shopping Center at the corner of Delk Rd and Powers Ferry (2900 Delk Road, Marietta). It is in the corner of the shopping center. Here is a web link for the location:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.074844&z=14
    Hope to see you and your pistol there.
    Christo's Pizza
    2900 Delk Rd SE # 1700
    Marietta, GA 30067
    (770) 952-1965

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post

The ironic thing is that they have stated publicly that they will arrest State Sen Tim Bearden who authored the law if he shows up carrying tomorrow.

Mr. Bearden has stated publicly that he will be armed when he picks up a friend flying into the airport.
    So was he? And did they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Emanuel Watkins View Post
    A fart is change. Our founding fathers did a lot more than just fart.

i dont believe that he was arrested i think they might have just went ahead and filed suit based on the statements the mayor and GM of the airport made

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is the GCO? tones

GCO=georgiacarry.org

best 15 dollars ive ever spent

the above incident and this one both might come into play for anyone traveling in georgia http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2008...-nonresidents/

GCO is also challenging the validity of the gun prohibition, by not issuing permits to non residents and this is also step to get the 2nd amendment incorporated

I dont see what the fuss is about. Sounds more like a power struggle between the Mayor and the Representative. What's the big deal of carrying concealed in an airport? I get the terrorism thing but this law doesn't allow guns past security screening by TSA and all their fancy, expensive toys. A terrorist couldn't get a gun on a plane because of this law. I hope the Rep. carries into the airport just to see the fireworks this causes!

Or maybe they are concerned that TSA isn't all it's cracked up to be and allowing carrying in the airport raises the likelihood of TSA missing a weapon at security checking. But that's TSA's fault if that happens. As I see it, the main ticketing area of an airport is no different than any other public space until you get to the security checkpoint.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

rep bearden was not arrested and the suit was filed you can read the suit at www.georgiacarry.org it was filed in federal court under subsection 1983 civil rights

Complaint

If any rallies are planned, please post them here. I have been to Atlanta once before to support the 2nd Amendment protection act, and will go again.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

ok ill try to keepp everyone updated, www.georgiapacking.org is a great way to keep up with anything 2nd related in georgia or across the nation for that matter

post-terrorism environment? wtf is that?
    "Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it." - Henry David Thoreau

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The original story is in this thread:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=145212
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

//
    Last edited by asgardshill; 07-03-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Emanuel Watkins View Post
    A fart is change. Our founding fathers did a lot more than just fart.

This is on reddit http://www.reddit.com/info/6pu6u/comments/ anyone here want to help? I haven't done any much crime and gun research for a while.

Thanks
    Cory

I'm I the only one still wasting time on reddit?
    Last edited by clytle374; 07-04-2008 at 12:34 PM.

www.Georgiacarry.org :

GCO has filed its brief in support of its appeal in the Atlanta Airport gun case. GCO sued Atlanta in federal district court because of Atlanta’s threats to arrest people lawfully carrying firearms in the Atlanta Airport. The district court granted Atlanta’s motion for judgment on the pleadings, finding that GCO had not introduced sufficient evidence that HB 89 (which decriminalized carrying firearms “on public transportation” for GFL holders) applies to airports (overlooking the fact that a party is neither permitted nor required to introduce evidence in opposition to a motion for judgment on the pleadings). GCO has appealed the case to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit. A copy of the brief may be viewed here

Legislator v. Mayor ... I think THE State trumps a City

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    they do, GCO has sued Atlanta over preemption before.