Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Must Have Books/Reference Material

  1. #31

    Default

    Also, I just ordered a Nook, which was available in limited quantities for $99 on eBay (as of my posting this, it still is, here). So I have been looking for free epub and pdf files to put on it, including a library of survival materials. I thought I'd share some of the good resources I've found.

    1) Check out Rourke's very extensive free pdf database here. That right there is probably more than enough. But I supplemented it with some items that weren't on it that I found at the following sites.
    2) The Hesperian Foundation, which has resources for 3rd world health needs, including the books Where There Is No Doctor and Where There Is No Dentist.
    3) Some hand-to-hand combat books here.

    I've also found that I can often find an individual title, especially of older books, and military field manuals if I google around a bit.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    When I was a kid , I read a book that I wish I could remember the name of or author ... It was a true story of a ship ( probably 1800's ), wrecked on the African coast , crew ( maybe British if I recall ) taken captive buy nomad slavers and it told what they did to survive a trek across the Sahara . I cannot imagine camel urine to be too tasty , but it got them through alive .
    I found this book finally for my youngest son and oldest sister recently . It is " Sufferings in Africa "

  4. #33

    Default

    I would also suggest , River of Doubt about a trip down an uncharted river in the Amazon about a hundred years ago . Good reference on tropical climates .

  5. #34

    Default

    Haven't noticed any simple mechanics on the list so far. Here is a good one for moving loads with out combustion: Recommend a hard-copy

    http://www.enlisted.info/field-manua...ications.shtml

    Also:

    Hiscox, Gardner D. 1800 Mechanical Movements and Devices
    Hiscox, Gardner D. 970 Mechanical Appliances and Novelties of Construction

  6. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisMarion View Post
    Haven't noticed any simple mechanics on the list so far. Here is a good one for moving loads with out combustion: Recommend a hard-copy

    http://www.enlisted.info/field-manua...ications.shtml

    Also:

    Hiscox, Gardner D. 1800 Mechanical Movements and Devices
    Hiscox, Gardner D. 970 Mechanical Appliances and Novelties of Construction
    I use my Machinery Handbook Volume 25 quite a bit.

  7. #36

  8. #37

    Default

    "Gaia's Garden" - Toby Hemenway
    "The Hand-Sculpted House" - Ianto Evans
    "Solviva" - Anna Edey
    "Sepp Holzer's Permaculture" - Sepp Holzer
    "Permaculture: A Designer's Manual" - Bill Mollison
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

    Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

  9. #38

    Default

    I don't know if Youtube channels are what you are looking for here, but this channel has taught me a ton so far, and there's so much more to go through.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/sigma3survivalschool

  10. #39

    Default Prescription For Nutritional Healing

    I recommend "Prescription For Nutritional Healing"

  11. #40

    Default

    Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance

    The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living, 2nd: Advice and Information on Just About Everything You Need to Know to Live on Planet Earth (Big Book of Self-Reliant Living: Advice & Information on Just)

    The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It


    Out of these three books(or more if you guys have recommendations) I would like to know which you guys recommend for general self reliance, but mostly for gardening and providing for myself by growing my own food and raising chickens and maybe a goat or two. Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

  12. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance

    The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living, 2nd: Advice and Information on Just About Everything You Need to Know to Live on Planet Earth (Big Book of Self-Reliant Living: Advice & Information on Just)

    The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It


    Out of these three books(or more if you guys have recommendations) I would like to know which you guys recommend for general self reliance, but mostly for gardening and providing for myself by growing my own food and raising chickens and maybe a goat or two. Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

    I would be interested in the top recommendation as well. Might make for a good Christmas present.

  13. #42

    Default

    My wife and I are both avid collectors of things, and books are one of them. Books pertaining to this thread are as follows (that we presently own):

    Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners, 2nd Edition
    U.S. Army Improvised Munitions Handbook
    Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook
    Ranger Handbook
    Prepper's Natural Medicine: Life-Saving Herbs, Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for When There is No Doctor
    Herbal Antibiotics, 2nd Edition: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-resistant Bacteria
    Advanced Bushcraft: An Expert Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
    The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
    Improvised Medicine: Providing Care in Extreme Environments
    The Complete Survival Shelters Handbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building Life-saving Structures for Every Climate and Wilderness Situation
    The Trapper's Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards
    The Do-it-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook
    Homemade Guns And Homemade Ammo
    Guerrilla Gunsmithing: Quick And Dirty Methods For Fixing Firearms In Desperate Times
    A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game
    The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure
    The Prepper's Water Survival Guide: Harvest, Treat, and Store Your Most Vital Resource
    Be Expert with Map and Compass
    A Beginners Guide to Trapping
    The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way
    The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): 333 Skills that Will Get You Out Alive
    Edible Wild Plants
    Emergency War Surgery
    U.S. Army Guerrila Warfare Handbook
    Survival Hacks
    Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties: A Classic Guide to Building Wilderness Shelters
    Bushcraft 101
    Army FM 21-76
    Prepper's Survival Hacks
    Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
    The Trapper's Bible
    The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
    Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections
    Prepper's Long-Term Survival Guide: Food, Shelter, Security, Off-the-Grid Power and More Life-Saving Strategies for Self-Sufficient Living


    We are always buying more, because we both enjoy reading, and have serious infatuations with building our personal library. I consider them all must have, as even though some overlap of info happens, different perspectives and experiences from the authors always seem to open doors to other works and subjects.

    All listed are around $15, with only one hitting $60ish.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

  14. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    My wife and I are both avid collectors of things, and books are one of them. Books pertaining to this thread are as follows (that we presently own):

    Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners, 2nd Edition
    U.S. Army Improvised Munitions Handbook
    Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook
    Ranger Handbook
    Prepper's Natural Medicine: Life-Saving Herbs, Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for When There is No Doctor
    Herbal Antibiotics, 2nd Edition: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-resistant Bacteria
    Advanced Bushcraft: An Expert Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
    The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
    Improvised Medicine: Providing Care in Extreme Environments
    The Complete Survival Shelters Handbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building Life-saving Structures for Every Climate and Wilderness Situation
    The Trapper's Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards
    The Do-it-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook
    Homemade Guns And Homemade Ammo
    Guerrilla Gunsmithing: Quick And Dirty Methods For Fixing Firearms In Desperate Times
    A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game
    The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure
    The Prepper's Water Survival Guide: Harvest, Treat, and Store Your Most Vital Resource
    Be Expert with Map and Compass
    A Beginners Guide to Trapping
    The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way
    The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): 333 Skills that Will Get You Out Alive
    Edible Wild Plants
    Emergency War Surgery
    U.S. Army Guerrila Warfare Handbook
    Survival Hacks
    Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties: A Classic Guide to Building Wilderness Shelters
    Bushcraft 101
    Army FM 21-76
    Prepper's Survival Hacks
    Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
    The Trapper's Bible
    The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
    Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections
    Prepper's Long-Term Survival Guide: Food, Shelter, Security, Off-the-Grid Power and More Life-Saving Strategies for Self-Sufficient Living


    We are always buying more, because we both enjoy reading, and have serious infatuations with building our personal library. I consider them all must have, as even though some overlap of info happens, different perspectives and experiences from the authors always seem to open doors to other works and subjects.

    All listed are around $15, with only one hitting $60ish.
    That's alot of books.

  15. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    That's alot of books.
    That is just books along the standard regarding the thread. My oldest son has made it clear that he only wants two things when a I die (Three if you count his request for me to hang around to see his future children become fathers / mothers). One is my Browning A5 shotgun collection (All Belgium made & "round hump". Light Twelve, Sweet Sixteen, and Light Twenty). And second is what my wife and I call the family library, which is always growing. We have a "Google Green", in that that information still flows with no need for external power...lol.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

  16. #45

    Default

    You can use the wikitaxi program to display the whole wikipedia offline. No pics though, you can fit the database on a single usb flash drive if so inclined. Probably a good thing to have for shtf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 11:21 PM
  2. Business Books? Need some more reading material
    By ghengis86 in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-08-2015, 10:01 PM
  3. Good reference material
    By mtr1979 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM
  4. I am Looking for cheap prices on "liberty" books and other material
    By enjoiskaterguy in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
  5. Books Books Read Good Books
    By american.swan in forum Books & Literature
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •