Thread: IMF selling gold - will it impact silver?

IMF selling gold - will it impact silver?

Well, what are your thoughts? Will silver prices be impacted when the IMF starts selling off massive amounts of gold? What about other commodities?

I just sold my position in gold today after 2 nice days of rallies, but will be looking for another buying opportunity. Either GLD or SLV. Schiff says that silver is more undervalued than gold; perhaps that is the smarter play for the moment.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

IMF may not actually have any gold to sell.

May 16, 2008
    John Embry, chief investment strategist at Sprott Asset Management, thinks perhaps the IMF doesn't really have any gold to sell.

Here is a PDF article about it. I wish I could cut and paste out of the article but I can't.

Last Call to Board Gold Train at Under US$1,000

Is it possible this story was a hoax to provoke a sell-off and bring the price down?

If so, it's ridiculous the lengths these bastards are going to, to buy time.

Gold back up to $900 again today. I think I'd wait until it dropped steadily down to the 700's before I sold. And that's IF I sold, which unless you have a lot of capital you like to move around often, is probably not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreApathy View Post
    Is it possible this story was a hoax to provoke a sell-off and bring the price down?

If so, it's ridiculous the lengths these bastards are going to, to buy time.

Gold back up to $900 again today. I think I'd wait until it dropped steadily down to the 700's before I sold. And that's IF I sold, which unless you have a lot of capital you like to move around often, is probably not worth it.

The story I posted was not about trying to provoke a sell-off. It was about the IMF probably not being able to sell any gold because they may have already lost theirs.

What story are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

The story I posted was not about trying to provoke a sell-off. It was about the IMF probably not being able to sell any gold because they may have already lost theirs.

What story are you referring to?
    I didn't mean YOUR story, sorry. I just meant the general story about the IMF possibly selling a large amount of gold. The one that's been talked about for months now.

Just wondering if perhaps it was spread around as a rumor to provoke a sell-off, with another story later on (yours, for instance?) about how it now WON'T be selling a large amount.

Who knows. Like any one of us will ever actually figure out what the powers that be are REALLY doing, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreApathy View Post
    I didn't mean YOUR story, sorry. I just meant the general story about the IMF possibly selling a large amount of gold. The one that's been talked about for months now.

Just wondering if perhaps it was spread around as a rumor to provoke a sell-off, with another story later on (yours, for instance?) about how it now WON'T be selling a large amount.

Who knows. Like any one of us will ever actually figure out what the powers that be are REALLY doing, and why.
    Yes, it could very well have been all to get people put off of buying gold.
    Then again, it could be they are using the IMF sell off to cover their own butts so they can explain what happened to the gold they didn't have.

The IMF will NOT sell their gold.........but if they did, it would never hit the market. It would be a direct transaction to another central bank.........therefore, NOT affecting market prices. However, these news releases are "scare" tactics for the public who doesn't know any better.