Thread: Finding Silver Quarters, Dimes, or Dollars?

Finding Silver Quarters, Dimes, or Dollars?

I read something about this in another thread, but what are the chances of going to to the bank, withdrawing say $200 in quarters, sorting through them, and finding junk silver?? I'm poor right now, but I want to find a way to get my hands on some. Has anyone tried this, and found pre-1965 quarters/dimes mixed in a regular roll of coins??
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not for a very long time, but it does happen. It doesn't take as long as you would think--look at the edges and if there's silver in there it will stand right out among all the copper sandwich layer edges.

If you can get rolls of half dollard you'll probably increase your odds slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I did, a quarter and a dime.

Best bet is to get the tellers to call you when the customers bring in coinage.

The bank tellers told me that when they empty the rolls into the bags they can hear the silver because it produces a different sound..
    Last edited by Allen72289; 05-15-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Not for a very long time, but it does happen. It doesn't take as long as you would think--look at the edges and if there's silver in there it will stand right out among all the copper sandwich layer edges.

If you can get rolls of half dollard you'll probably increase your odds slightly.
    I know what they look like as I've found a 1959 quarter and a mercury dime back in the day when I was a cashier for my college bookstore. But that only happened twice the whole time I worked there (which was about a year).

Plus, my dad had a few rolls of silver quarters and dimes, and showed them to me when I was little....but they're gone now because one of his housekeepers stole them.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen72289 View Post
    I did, a quarter and a dime.

Best bet is to get the tellers to call you when the customers bring in coinage.

The bank tellers told me that when they empty the rolls into the bags they can hear the silver because it produces a different sound..
    Haha, I just tried calling some banks to see if they could contact me if/when they get any silver coinage which they basically answered "No" in a polite, but "are you on crack?" undertone.

And the sound is quite distinctive, too. I've showed some friends that, and they were surprised they could hear the difference.

Yeah, that's their gut reaction, just kindly explain to them what you're doing.

You're doing them a favor because they have to unroll those coins in bags to give them to the fed.

Doesn't hurt to give them wheaties..

I worked retail for a few years in college and found only 2 silver quarters. I'm screwed at my bank, b/c a teller is a RP supporter and gobbles silver up.

I guess you take the good with the bad. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopsus View Post
    I worked retail for a few years in college and found only 2 silver quarters. I'm screwed at my bank, b/c a teller is a RP supporter and gobbles silver up.

I guess you take the good with the bad. Oh well.
    You should tell him to quit in protest of the FED and it's policies.

Then go after that sweet, sweet nectar yourself.

I've worked retail wine/liquor on a cash register for 20+ years and the frequency of finding silver coins has damn near stopped, it used to be I'd find it all the time, sometimes whole rolls. Those days are gone I'm afraid, so far this year I've found a grand total of 35¢ and a few wheat pennies, woohoo!

Best bet is to save your time and energy and buy the real McCoy, SAE's or GAE's.
    Resist or Perish.

I am a sovereign nation unto myself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People do that by the thousands of dollars. There are coin counting machines that hit each coin with a burst of electricity. The silver coins come back with a different reading than the coins that are made of copper/zinc. These people can run thousands of dollars a month through those machines and easily pick out the silver coins.

The point is.... You may get some but most are picked through.

I've been collecting junk silver for about 5 months now. I've tried the bank thing and everything else I could think of. I never found one. Then, just the other day I was cleaning out my pockets and I grabbed all the change. Out of habit I looked at each one and sure enough there was a 1951 dime. Woot! First piece of junk found out in the wild!

I was stoked. That made my day.

http://realcent.forumco.com/default.asp

This forum is all about sorting coins and scrapping metal. There is a lot of information about what you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    http://realcent.forumco.com/default.asp

This forum is all about sorting coins and scrapping metal. There is a lot of information about what you asked.
    Holy crap, that Ryedale machine is bad ass!! Thanks for the link, I'm still looking for info on that forum about silver.

I also called a local coin shop and found that they sell silver rounds for about $.30 cheaper than apmex.com.

I suppose you may find some silver if a kid has gotten into his parents coin collection to buy candy.

P.S. Ryedale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM9RnDJo9D0

Ryedale home page;

http://www.ryedalecoin.com/
    Last edited by Carson; 05-18-2008 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I suppose you may find some silver if a kid has gotten into his parents coin collection to buy candy.

P.S. Ryedale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM9RnDJo9D0
    LOL, I wouldn't stoop THAT low!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
    LOL, I wouldn't stoop THAT low!
    I'm afraid I did. I don't really remember getting into the good stuff (so much?) but I sure hit the change on his dresser a lot.

It was sort of a balance between siphoning off enough to get something good but not so much as have anyone raise hell about it.

I was a bad boy.

If I see anything good now in my change I figure that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
    Holy crap, that Ryedale machine is bad ass!! Thanks for the link, I'm still looking for info on that forum about silver.

I also called a local coin shop and found that they sell silver rounds for about $.30 cheaper than apmex.com.
    Silver is not an option for profit for searching coins.....

But I really think Pre 1982 (And some 1982) copper pennies, is the equivilent of silver in the sixties....

Where down the road you could see 14x face and you can still find them quite easily......copper was replaced by zinc...and now it's about to be replaced by steel.....

If you want to search coins....i think copper pennies is the way to go and the rydale machines are the way to do it on a big scale.....I'm still hitting at close to 30% copper pennies on sorting.....

I work retail and always check every roll I open by looking at the sides of the coins. We've had dime rolls with 6 or 7 silver roosevelts in them. I'm guessing they were cashed into the bank by someone who didn't check their coin jars before sending them in, and we haven't had any new ones in a while.
    I also get silver nickels every now and then, if it's got a mint mark over the dome it's 35% silver and worth about a buck, and got a silver quarter once from a customer.
    In about 6 months I've gotten about $4 face value in silver on the job, so there are still silver coins out there circulating.

eb
    Been a long time....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson
    I'm afraid I did. I don't really remember getting into the good stuff (so much?) but I sure hit the change on his dresser a lot.

It was sort of a balance between siphoning off enough to get something good but not so much as have anyone raise hell about it.

I was a bad boy.

If I see anything good now in my change I figure that is what happened.
    Ahhh, I yeah I'm guilty as charged when it comes to doing things like that when I was little, too. I did the same thing and bought ice cream with it, but the coins weren't silver. My dad had those rolled up, and put away in his briefcase--something I didn't go into w/o his permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Razmear View Post
    I work retail and always check every roll I open by looking at the sides of the coins. We've had dime rolls with 6 or 7 silver roosevelts in them. I'm guessing they were cashed into the bank by someone who didn't check their coin jars before sending them in, and we haven't had any new ones in a while.
    I also get silver nickels every now and then, if it's got a mint mark over the dome it's 35% silver and worth about a buck, and got a silver quarter once from a customer.
    In about 6 months I've gotten about $4 face value in silver on the job, so there are still silver coins out there circulating.

eb
    Hmm, I was debating on whether try my luck, go to the bank, and sort through about $200 worth of quarters. My employer is being a bastard right now, so I don't want to make any unnecessary large withdrawls at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalokid777
    Silver is not an option for profit for searching coins.....

But I really think Pre 1982 (And some 1982) copper pennies, is the equivilent of silver in the sixties....

Where down the road you could see 14x face and you can still find them quite easily......copper was replaced by zinc...and now it's about to be replaced by steel.....

If you want to search coins....i think copper pennies is the way to go and the rydale machines are the way to do it on a big scale.....I'm still hitting at close to 30% copper pennies on sorting.....
    Right now, I'm not trying to cut a profit on silver. I'm just trying to find the most economical way to get my hands on some due to the current financial situation I'm in.

I read that the House passed that bill. Ever since they passed it I've been throwing around the idea about hoarding nickels since they will also be affected by this bill, and the nickels melt is worth more than the face.

I've been sorting through pennies already, and have about $16 worth of pre-82's. I also don't have the heart to throw away the 1982 pennies because after sorting the copper from the junk you start to develop an eye which is good and which is not. A lot of 82's I have are potential candidates. ...It really makes me wish I had a ryedale.

30% is awesome, I've been batting around 20-21%.