Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Alert, B&N FRAUD against Manifesto

Angry Action Alert, B&N FRAUD against Manifesto

Ok, I'm pretty mad right now. I just got back from Barnes & Noble. I was excited to go and see the new prominent position of The Manifesto, as it is now a bestseller in every sense of the word. Also, BN offers its members 40% off bestsellers (30% to everybody else) and I was going to get a few more copies.

However, it was still in the back corner of the sotre, bottom shelf, 3 copies. (there were 6 on April 30th an I bought two of them) I was under the apparenty mistaken impression that the BN Bestseller shelves featured prominently at the front of the store were for true bestsellers and I actually thought it was tied into the NYT list. NOT AT ALL.

A book can be #1 everywhere, INCLUDING at BN.com and they won't necessarily feature it on the bestseller shelf up front. There is not hard critera, either. Whatever IS selling or is projected to sell. READ: whichever publisher PAYS for the self space. It is FRAUD.

It should be the Barnes & Noble PICKS or FEATURES. They do not have to be ebstsellers to be up there and even if they are bestsellers they may not EVER make it up there.

The gaul of these people. Every book signing he does the store sells every copy they have in stock. Our meetup group placed a really nice 1/4 page ad in the paper today. We vote on the 20th, and RP will be here the 16th and 17th. We mentioned the book and the place on the NYT and Amazon lists. Ug, I'm so irritated.

If you feel like paying more, go buy it at the brick and mortar store. If you're smart, though, you'll buy it online for 1/2 the price and thereby give more credence to their argument that it isn't a bestseller IN the store.

We need to getour machiene out and start making calls and emails again. Fox news style.
    Last edited by erin moore; 05-11-2008 at 06:28 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So just personally move one of Ron Paul's books to the featured table.
    Ron Paul's heart is made out of gold. This greatly upsets the Federal Reserve.

So did you not get the 40% since it isn't THEIR bestseller?

Well...it is a private business. They can place the book anywhere they want in their own stores. If you have a problem with it then don't buy from them, let them know at your local B&N store how you feel and go elsewhere. If enough "The Revoulution" customers do the same, they'll get the idea, and want the business they've been sending to their competitors by choosing not to place the book in the 'spotlight'.

Quote Originally Posted by erin moore View Post

A book can be #1 everywhere, INCLUDING at BN.com and they won't necessarily feature it on the bestseller shelf up front. There is not hard critera, either. Whatever IS selling or is projected to sell. READ: whichever publisher PAYS for the self space. It is FRAUD.
    email sent stating that the revolution has attorney's within our ranks and it seems more than likely that we have legal grounds for a false advertising/fraud suit against em so they may want to fix this issue asap before someone starts one

i recomend others do the same
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    that's what my mom has been doing at Borders
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

Right, it is a private business. But a lot of towns, like this one, have one BIG bookstore where most people shop. It isn't about me wanting the book, it's about people knowing about it and having access to it.

No, it didn't get 40% off. They offer the standard 10% discount you get with paid membership and nothing if you don't have one.

We all need to call and send emails to let them know we will be buying the book "elsewhere." They made it abundantly clear to me that they had no decision making power at the local store. (and didn't really care either) If we all send an emai and make a phone call we can force a change in their practices.

Actually I have moved the books around the store. I leave one on the tbale where the reading chairs are and put one up front. They move them back pretty quickly.

... and not unlike grocery stores where the vendors/suppliers pay (mostly in discounts or higher margins to the store) to have their products placed in different parts of the store. It's not fraud, it's just how the business works and has worked for a long time. If the store makes more money per sale then they're more likely to display it prominently.

And.. more than likely the store manager doesn't have a say in what is shown in the "bestseller" display. That's something that is probably set by the buyers at the corporate office.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    email sent stating that the revolution has attorney's within our ranks and it seems more than likely that we have legal grounds for a false advertising/fraud suit against em so they may want to fix this issue asap before someone starts one

sorry i can't use the 'lawsuit' threat, i'd much rather use the "loss of future profits due to bad promotional/product placement policies" arguement first.

thank you.

yes it is fraud. if they want to call it something else, then fine, but they are nhot all bestsellers, and this book is. its deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post

can you post the address you sent it to please? broken link.

Right, it is a private business. But a lot of towns, like this one, have one BIG bookstore where most people shop. It isn't about me wanting the book, it's about people knowing about it and having access to it.

No, it didn't get 40% off. They offer the standard 10% discount you get with paid membership and nothing if you don't have one.

We all need to call and send emails to let them know we will be buying the book "elsewhere." They made it abundantly clear to me that they had no decision making power at the local store. (and didn't really care either) If we all send an emai and make a phone call we can force a change in their practices.

Actually I have moved the books around the store. I leave one on the tbale where the reading chairs are and put one up front. They move them back pretty quickly.
    15% off coupon --- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=22715

Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    ... and not unlike grocery stores where the vendors/suppliers pay (mostly in discounts or higher margins to the store) to have their products placed in different parts of the store. It's not fraud, it's just how the business works and has worked for a long time. If the store makes more money per sale then they're more likely to display it prominently.
    No, it is fraud. Look at it this way: You walk into the grocery store and the butcher tells you Mr. Smith this is my bestselling cut of meat. All the other customers love it and I recommend you get it also. In fact, the farmer paid him to say that to you and the real quality stuff, the stuff most people really want and tend to buy is hidden in the back and you have to know it is there and ask for it. FRAUD.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    And.. more than likely the store manager doesn't have a say in what is shown in the "bestseller" display. That's something that is probably set by the buyers at the corporate office.
    correct. the local managers have No say. this is corporate. That is why we need to email and call.

Main Entry: best sell·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈbes(t)-ˈse-lər\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1889
    : an article (as a book) whose sales are among the highest of its class
    — best–sell·er·dom \-dəm\ noun
    — best–sell·ing \-ˈse-liŋ\ adjective

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    sorry i can't use the 'lawsuit' threat, i'd much rather use the "loss of future profits due to bad promotional/product placement policies" arguement first.

EXACTLY.

yes it is fraud. if they want to call it something else, then fine, but they are nhot all bestsellers, and this book is. its deceptive.

can you post the address you sent it to please? broken link.
    go to this link click a cust service issue then scroll to the bottom and it gives you an option to email

h ttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/customer_service/index.asp?cds2Pid=20613&linkid=1062758
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

"bestseller" .. in.. . your county? .. "bestseller" at the convention where the buyers bought the books from? your state? the entire US? among their regular shoppers? .. it's a vague thing like "new and improved". It's a marketing gimmick.

btw.. My local Books-a-million doesn't have Ron Paul's book in their display of "bestsellers".. go after them too.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Remember - it's not #1 Bestseller on the NYTimes list until another week or so (don't remember exact date). They "leak" them ahead of time. I'd check back after the "effective date" of the list. If it's not in the bestsellers, complain like crazy.

Here's a direct link to customer service inquiries regarding B&N retail stores. Scroll down and you can send them an email.

In an angry moment I wrote this:

Count me among the legions who are extremely disappointed in B&N's bizarre behavior: according to today's New York Times, Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto is #7 in the country, yet the few copies your stores have are buried in the back somewhere. On the May 18 NYT list the book is at #1. Number one! And buried in your stores.

It's #2 on the Wall Street Journal list, sold out on Amazon (where it hit #1 on release), sold out at buy.com, and sold out at walmart.com.

And Barnes & Noble stocks three copies in the back of the store.

I guess I'm not following why you wouldn't keep up with, you know, books that are selling, and why you wouldn't want to get a piece of this.

It's #15 on your own site, for heaven's sake, and that includes paperbacks and fiction.

LOTS of people are upset about this. Please do the sensible thing and stock your stores. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr1988 View Post
    Remember - it's not #1 Bestseller on the NYTimes list until another week or so (don't remember exact date). They "leak" them ahead of time. I'd check back after the "effective date" of the list. If it's not in the bestsellers, complain like crazy.
    Today's the effective date that the book is #7, and booksellers knew this 10 days ago. They knew it was skyrocketing up the Amazon charts months ago. How blockheaded can they be?

Wow amazon now says: In stock on July 16, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Fields View Post
    Wow amazon now says: In stock on July 16, 2008
    yeah just noticed

what the hell?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????

so do what i did...i moved all the copies and placed them over obamas books
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    Here's a direct link to customer service inquiries regarding B&N retail stores. Scroll down and you can send them an email.

In an angry moment I wrote this:

Count me among the legions who are extremely disappointed in B&N's bizarre behavior: according to today's New York Times, Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto is #7 in the country, yet the few copies your stores have are buried in the back somewhere. On the May 18 NYT list the book is at #1. Number one! And buried in your stores.

It's #2 on the Wall Street Journal list, sold out on Amazon (where it hit #1 on release), sold out at buy.com, and sold out at walmart.com.

And Barnes & Noble stocks three copies in the back of the store.

I guess I'm not following why you wouldn't keep up with, you know, books that are selling, and why you wouldn't want to get a piece of this.

It's #15 on your own site, for heaven's sake, and that includes paperbacks and fiction.

LOTS of people are upset about this. Please do the sensible thing and stock your stores. Thank you.

Add: sold out on tower.com, eruditor.com, alibris.com,

At least you can always get it at eradable.com or in audio format.

The book is selling out. The store managers are reading the books and then hiding them because they don't want to trade their valuable books for worthless fiat money.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought it was New York Times Bestseller on May 18th. If I recall correctly, May 18th is next Sunday.
    "That's one thing about freedom; you have to tolerate the nonsense too." - Ron Paul

and once again -
    not on amazon until JULY???

Quote Originally Posted by Knightskye View Post
    I thought it was New York Times Bestseller on May 18th. If I recall correctly, May 18th is next Sunday.
    No, it's on the list as of May 11 (today). It's on the list at #1 as of May 18.

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    and once again -
    not on amazon until JULY???
    The publisher HAS TO get on top of this. That is another absurd estimate from Amazon.

Well once they start asking for them more and more they will end up stocking and promoting them I think. Money is money to a business i'm sure.

We need to get people buying the manifesto ALOT for it to create real buzz. Once the #1 list comes out I feel it will end up featured on many topshelfs in bookstores across the nation.

Remember it is the publisher they would be doing something wrong to NOT Ron Paul. As the publisher I would MAKE SURE wherever we have contracts that ALL of the authors get a ton of coverage just like any other.

Also since Ron Paul is a celebrity in his own right, the publisher KNOWS Ron Paul's name attached to anything would be pure gold and HOPEFULLY will make sure it gets displayed EVERYWHERE.

Those are my thoughts on it at least.
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    +1

THat's what I did...several times.
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Churchill

Wake up in the morning with No Agenda
    http://www.noagendashow.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast