Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: Action Alert, B&N FRAUD against Manifesto

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Angry Action Alert, B&N FRAUD against Manifesto

    Ok, I'm pretty mad right now. I just got back from Barnes & Noble. I was excited to go and see the new prominent position of The Manifesto, as it is now a bestseller in every sense of the word. Also, BN offers its members 40% off bestsellers (30% to everybody else) and I was going to get a few more copies.

    However, it was still in the back corner of the sotre, bottom shelf, 3 copies. (there were 6 on April 30th an I bought two of them) I was under the apparenty mistaken impression that the BN Bestseller shelves featured prominently at the front of the store were for true bestsellers and I actually thought it was tied into the NYT list. NOT AT ALL.

    A book can be #1 everywhere, INCLUDING at BN.com and they won't necessarily feature it on the bestseller shelf up front. There is not hard critera, either. Whatever IS selling or is projected to sell. READ: whichever publisher PAYS for the self space. It is FRAUD.

    It should be the Barnes & Noble PICKS or FEATURES. They do not have to be ebstsellers to be up there and even if they are bestsellers they may not EVER make it up there.

    The gaul of these people. Every book signing he does the store sells every copy they have in stock. Our meetup group placed a really nice 1/4 page ad in the paper today. We vote on the 20th, and RP will be here the 16th and 17th. We mentioned the book and the place on the NYT and Amazon lists. Ug, I'm so irritated.

    If you feel like paying more, go buy it at the brick and mortar store. If you're smart, though, you'll buy it online for 1/2 the price and thereby give more credence to their argument that it isn't a bestseller IN the store.

    We need to getour machiene out and start making calls and emails again. Fox news style.
    Last edited by erin moore; 05-11-2008 at 06:28 PM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    So just personally move one of Ron Paul's books to the featured table.
    Ron Paul's heart is made out of gold. This greatly upsets the Federal Reserve.

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    So just personally move one of Ron Paul's books to the featured table.
    that's what my mom has been doing at Borders
    R[∃vo˩]ution

    I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

  5. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    So just personally move one of Ron Paul's books to the featured table.
    +1

    THat's what I did...several times.
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Churchill
    ************************************

    Wake up in the morning with No Agenda
    http://www.noagendashow.com

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yaz View Post
    So just personally move one of Ron Paul's books to the featured table.
    my-ass move them all up front. I wish I was there...

    "Energy and persistence conquer all things"
    Benjamin Franklin
    The greatest sins are those who remain silent in the face of evil.

  7. #6

    Default

    So did you not get the 40% since it isn't THEIR bestseller?

  8. #7

    Default

    Well...it is a private business. They can place the book anywhere they want in their own stores. If you have a problem with it then don't buy from them, let them know at your local B&N store how you feel and go elsewhere. If enough "The Revoulution" customers do the same, they'll get the idea, and want the business they've been sending to their competitors by choosing not to place the book in the 'spotlight'.

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erin moore View Post

    A book can be #1 everywhere, INCLUDING at BN.com and they won't necessarily feature it on the bestseller shelf up front. There is not hard critera, either. Whatever IS selling or is projected to sell. READ: whichever publisher PAYS for the self space. It is FRAUD.
    email sent stating that the revolution has attorney's within our ranks and it seems more than likely that we have legal grounds for a false advertising/fraud suit against em so they may want to fix this issue asap before someone starts one

    i recomend others do the same
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    email sent stating that the revolution has attorney's within our ranks and it seems more than likely that we have legal grounds for a false advertising/fraud suit against em so they may want to fix this issue asap before someone starts one

    i recomend others do the same

    sorry i can't use the 'lawsuit' threat, i'd much rather use the "loss of future profits due to bad promotional/product placement policies" arguement first.

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    sorry i can't use the 'lawsuit' threat, i'd much rather use the "loss of future profits due to bad promotional/product placement policies" arguement first.

    EXACTLY.

  12. #11

    Default thank you.

    yes it is fraud. if they want to call it something else, then fine, but they are nhot all bestsellers, and this book is. its deceptive.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    email sent stating that the revolution has attorney's within our ranks and it seems more than likely that we have legal grounds for a false advertising/fraud suit against em so they may want to fix this issue asap before someone starts one

    i recomend others do the same
    can you post the address you sent it to please? broken link.

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erin moore View Post
    yes it is fraud. if they want to call it something else, then fine, but they are nhot all bestsellers, and this book is. its deceptive.



    can you post the address you sent it to please? broken link.
    go to this link click a cust service issue then scroll to the bottom and it gives you an option to email

    h ttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/customer_service/index.asp?cds2Pid=20613&linkid=1062758
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

  14. #13

    Default

    Here's a direct link to customer service inquiries regarding B&N retail stores. Scroll down and you can send them an email.

    In an angry moment I wrote this:

    Count me among the legions who are extremely disappointed in B&N's bizarre behavior: according to today's New York Times, Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto is #7 in the country, yet the few copies your stores have are buried in the back somewhere. On the May 18 NYT list the book is at #1. Number one! And buried in your stores.

    It's #2 on the Wall Street Journal list, sold out on Amazon (where it hit #1 on release), sold out at buy.com, and sold out at walmart.com.

    And Barnes & Noble stocks three copies in the back of the store.

    I guess I'm not following why you wouldn't keep up with, you know, books that are selling, and why you wouldn't want to get a piece of this.

    It's #15 on your own site, for heaven's sake, and that includes paperbacks and fiction.

    LOTS of people are upset about this. Please do the sensible thing and stock your stores. Thank you.

  15. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    Here's a direct link to customer service inquiries regarding B&N retail stores. Scroll down and you can send them an email.

    In an angry moment I wrote this:

    Count me among the legions who are extremely disappointed in B&N's bizarre behavior: according to today's New York Times, Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto is #7 in the country, yet the few copies your stores have are buried in the back somewhere. On the May 18 NYT list the book is at #1. Number one! And buried in your stores.

    It's #2 on the Wall Street Journal list, sold out on Amazon (where it hit #1 on release), sold out at buy.com, and sold out at walmart.com.

    And Barnes & Noble stocks three copies in the back of the store.

    I guess I'm not following why you wouldn't keep up with, you know, books that are selling, and why you wouldn't want to get a piece of this.

    It's #15 on your own site, for heaven's sake, and that includes paperbacks and fiction.

    LOTS of people are upset about this. Please do the sensible thing and stock your stores. Thank you.

    Add: sold out on tower.com, eruditor.com, alibris.com,

    At least you can always get it at eradable.com or in audio format.

  16. #15

    Default

    Where do you live? What B&N location? Ill pretend they are all sold out at my local B&N and ask them to get a transfer from your location since I know they are in stock.
    KEEP BUYING COPIES!!!!
    Ná bris reacht is ná déan reacht

    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

    DOWNLOAD PEERGUARDIAN! Block Government trackers!

  17. #16

    Default

    Right, it is a private business. But a lot of towns, like this one, have one BIG bookstore where most people shop. It isn't about me wanting the book, it's about people knowing about it and having access to it.

    No, it didn't get 40% off. They offer the standard 10% discount you get with paid membership and nothing if you don't have one.

    We all need to call and send emails to let them know we will be buying the book "elsewhere." They made it abundantly clear to me that they had no decision making power at the local store. (and didn't really care either) If we all send an emai and make a phone call we can force a change in their practices.

    Actually I have moved the books around the store. I leave one on the tbale where the reading chairs are and put one up front. They move them back pretty quickly.

  18. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erin moore View Post
    Right, it is a private business. But a lot of towns, like this one, have one BIG bookstore where most people shop. It isn't about me wanting the book, it's about people knowing about it and having access to it.

    No, it didn't get 40% off. They offer the standard 10% discount you get with paid membership and nothing if you don't have one.

    We all need to call and send emails to let them know we will be buying the book "elsewhere." They made it abundantly clear to me that they had no decision making power at the local store. (and didn't really care either) If we all send an emai and make a phone call we can force a change in their practices.

    Actually I have moved the books around the store. I leave one on the tbale where the reading chairs are and put one up front. They move them back pretty quickly.
    15% off coupon --- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=22715

  19. #18

    Default

    ... and not unlike grocery stores where the vendors/suppliers pay (mostly in discounts or higher margins to the store) to have their products placed in different parts of the store. It's not fraud, it's just how the business works and has worked for a long time. If the store makes more money per sale then they're more likely to display it prominently.

    And.. more than likely the store manager doesn't have a say in what is shown in the "bestseller" display. That's something that is probably set by the buyers at the corporate office.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    ... and not unlike grocery stores where the vendors/suppliers pay (mostly in discounts or higher margins to the store) to have their products placed in different parts of the store. It's not fraud, it's just how the business works and has worked for a long time. If the store makes more money per sale then they're more likely to display it prominently.
    No, it is fraud. Look at it this way: You walk into the grocery store and the butcher tells you Mr. Smith this is my bestselling cut of meat. All the other customers love it and I recommend you get it also. In fact, the farmer paid him to say that to you and the real quality stuff, the stuff most people really want and tend to buy is hidden in the back and you have to know it is there and ask for it. FRAUD.

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    And.. more than likely the store manager doesn't have a say in what is shown in the "bestseller" display. That's something that is probably set by the buyers at the corporate office.
    correct. the local managers have No say. this is corporate. That is why we need to email and call.

  21. #20

    Default

    Main Entry: best sell·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈbes(t)-ˈse-lər\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1889
    : an article (as a book) whose sales are among the highest of its class
    — best–sell·er·dom \-dəm\ noun
    — best–sell·ing \-ˈse-liŋ\ adjective

  22. #21

    Default

    "bestseller" .. in.. . your county? .. "bestseller" at the convention where the buyers bought the books from? your state? the entire US? among their regular shoppers? .. it's a vague thing like "new and improved". It's a marketing gimmick.

    btw.. My local Books-a-million doesn't have Ron Paul's book in their display of "bestsellers".. go after them too.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

  23. #22

    Default

    Remember - it's not #1 Bestseller on the NYTimes list until another week or so (don't remember exact date). They "leak" them ahead of time. I'd check back after the "effective date" of the list. If it's not in the bestsellers, complain like crazy.

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyr1988 View Post
    Remember - it's not #1 Bestseller on the NYTimes list until another week or so (don't remember exact date). They "leak" them ahead of time. I'd check back after the "effective date" of the list. If it's not in the bestsellers, complain like crazy.
    Today's the effective date that the book is #7, and booksellers knew this 10 days ago. They knew it was skyrocketing up the Amazon charts months ago. How blockheaded can they be?

  25. #24

    Default

    Wow amazon now says: In stock on July 16, 2008

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fields View Post
    Wow amazon now says: In stock on July 16, 2008
    yeah just noticed



    what the hell?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????

  27. #26

    Default

    I picked up a copy at the local Barnes and Noble.

    They cleverly "hid" it in the "politics" section...

    Guys, Barnes and Noble ain't "hiding" anything- they want to sell as many books as possible- and they really don't care if its written by Ron Paul, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, or Adolf Hitler.

    Remember, not everything that isn't just the way you like it is a "conspiracy."

  28. #27

    Default

    Ron Paul is the best candidate by far, but some of his supporters are so paranoid they jump the gun and panic over the smallest issues.

    Sadly, I'm beginning to see why we get a bad rap sometimes.

  29. #28

    Default

    If we get a strong enough demand for more copies in the stores it will be granted! These stores WANT to sell books!
    Ná bris reacht is ná déan reacht

    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

    DOWNLOAD PEERGUARDIAN! Block Government trackers!

  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian4321 View Post
    I picked up a copy at the local Barnes and Noble.

    They cleverly "hid" it in the "politics" section...

    Guys, Barnes and Noble ain't "hiding" anything- they want to sell as many books as possible- and they really don't care if its written by Ron Paul, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, or Adolf Hitler.

    Remember, not everything that isn't just the way you like it is a "conspiracy."
    True, not everything is a conspiracy, but these big box outfits are not promoting this truly bestselling book the way they did Obamas drivel or Hillarys socialist screed (which Walmart featured prominently but I have yet to see Ron Pauls book there...anywhere). They don't want people to have liberty and knowledge, they are part of the propaganda ministry. The beauty part is, people go in and pay for the propaganda, unless they have a specific book in mind and are not just browsing. I don't even bother with them any more. Too many snide and precious clerks, the inventory full of socialist and New Age garbage, too expensive, too easy to browse at home and have it delivered to my mailbox. They are a private business that doesn't sell what you want. Take your money elsewhere, vote with your wallet, buy copies online and donate them to your local library and churches. Make them irrelevant, that is the sweetest revenge.

  31. #30

    Default

    It looks to me like the real problem may be with the publisher not being able to keep up with demand. If Amazon now has an "in stock" date of July 16th (more than 2 months from now!), can Barnes & Noble get them in stock?

    If Barnes & Noble can't get any more because the publisher isn't putting them out fast enough, why would B&N bother putting them in their Bestsellers section, since many stores are selling out as it is?

    If the publisher can't keep up with demand, Ron Paul should think about moving to a different publisher that can keep up with demand.

    When a book is the NYT #1 best seller, it should be in every store that has books; Target, Walmart, drug stores, grocery stores, not to mention every library. If they can't produce enough books for the stores it's currently offered at, how are they going to put books in all these other locations?

    I don't have all the facts, so I'm not 100% sure this is the case. I'm just going by the evidence available.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
  3. Wikipedia Action Alert - Group Action needed, repeated distortions discovered
    By libertyontap in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
  4. Fraud alert!!!
    By Bryon Huber in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 07:11 PM
  5. Voter Fraud Alert!
    By patriot4paul in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •