Thread: !!HR5889: The Death Of Non-Corporate Art Everywhere? (Property Rights/Copyright)

!!HR5889: The Death Of Non-Corporate Art Everywhere? (Property Rights/Copyright)

Last edited by Nicketas; 06-10-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: ...
    (Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the post above do not accurately reflect the political views of its author or affiliates. I hereby rescind the contents of any and all posts made on this forum under this user account. My political views have changed, are now private, and no longer represent the views of any particular political candidate.)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WTF!!!!!

ok..
    this is the most ridiculous bill!!!

are they serious??

$#@! our government
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

This wouldn't just be images, either. Writings are also automatically copyright now, and would also probably be effected.

So, presumably if we post something particularly insightful or inciting here, the government could copyright it and force the owners to take it down even if they have our permission to put it up... Neat, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Deplorable but predictable. Being a writer/artist, this has been rumored for years, most of us can't afford to copyright our works piece by piece. We've side stepped the technicality by copyrighting "collections" or multi works under one copyright. If what was told to me a few years back is correct, somewhere in the fine print this practice will be eliminated as it's not as profitable as collecting fee's from single pieces.

My anger grows by quantum leaps!!!
    Resist or Perish.

I am a sovereign nation unto myself.

Last edited by Nicketas; 06-10-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    (Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the post above do not accurately reflect the political views of its author or affiliates. I hereby rescind the contents of any and all posts made on this forum under this user account. My political views have changed, are now private, and no longer represent the views of any particular political candidate.)

I just submitted this to digg here:

http://digg.com/business_finance/HR5...Art_Everywhere

Sorry Nicketas, I used your title and your description in the digg section. But after a quick search on google, this is the only place that explains this thing short and succinctly. I really hope this gets some diggs.

HR5439 is a house bill. Forgive me if I missed something but has it passed the house and moved on to the senate? I just want to make sure I contact the correct legislator(s) about this.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Nicketas; 06-10-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Well, I wrote to my Representative. I hope I articulated well enough.

Mt Representative's response:

Dear Ms. _______,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 5589, the Orphan Works Act of 2008. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

I understand artists' desire to protect their works and preserve copyright protections they currently enjoy. Introduced by Rep. Howard Berman, H.R. 5589 would limit remedies in civil lawsuits over copyright infringement for orphan works, and prohibit awards when the infringed work is performed without any commercial benefit. Additionally, it would require the Register of Copyrights to create an online, searchable database of pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works protected by copyright. H.R. 5589 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind if H.R. 5589 should come before the full House of Representatives.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please continue to be in touch, and I hope to see you soon in Vermont.

Sincerely,

PETER WELCH

Member of Congress