Thread: War Time nickels

War Time nickels

nickels from 1942 to 1945 were made of silver. My wife is a cashier at a retail outlet and found one just tonight. She keeps some change on her to trade face value for the coins that I want. This is a great score for me. Woo Hoo! I know it is only a dollar but I am trying to get one of all the silver coins minted by the United States.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They were only 35% silver which is not really that high for coins. They will be not worth a whole lot compared to other silver coins. 56% was copper, 35% silver, and 9% mangnese.

Correct. They can be easily identified by the oversized mint mark above Monticello's dome on the reverse--and an odd color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

The war time nickel has increased in melt value by 1869% and is currently worth $0.93.

Not every nickel in that period had silver. I believe only the ones with a mark on the back were. I have 5 or 6 from that period, but all are standard mint with no silver.

There were some counterfits made, but they lacked the mint mark. The metalic content changeover occured in 1942 and there are some from that year that did not contain silver.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is with the www.coinflation.com links? I already visit that site frequently as well as the penny, scrap metal forum.

I am hoarding all kinds of coins. So, no you shouldn't hoard any of them. I will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    I am hoarding all kinds of coins. So, no you shouldn't hoard any of them. I will do it for you.
    I'm waiting for the gov't to outlaw owning coins no longer being minted - claiming the gov't owns all coins printed and that citizens were only entitled the value denoted by the gov't.

Maybe they'll be nice enough to give original face value for them.