Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WSJ Article on Stockpiling Food

WSJ Article on Stockpiling Food

Things are getting crazy, when you see something like this in the Wall Street Journal. Came across this in another forum. I just started stocking up, something I never would have thought I'd be doing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

Load Up the Pantry
    April 21, 2008 6:47 p.m.
    I don't want to alarm anybody, but maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

No, this is not a drill.

You've seen the TV footage of food riots in parts of the developing world. Yes, they're a long way away from the U.S. But most foodstuffs operate in a global market. When the cost of wheat soars in Asia, it will do the same here.

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic)

Stocking up on food may not replace your long-term investments, but it may make a sensible home for some of your shorter-term cash. Do the math. If you keep your standby cash in a money-market fund you'll be lucky to get a 2.5% interest rate. Even the best one-year certificate of deposit you can find is only going to pay you about 4.1%, according to Bankrate.com. And those yields are before tax.

Meanwhile the most recent government data shows food inflation for the average American household is now running at 4.5% a year.

And some prices are rising even more quickly. The latest data show cereal prices rising by more than 8% a year. Both flour and rice are up more than 13%. Milk, cheese, bananas and even peanut butter: They're all up by more than 10%. Eggs have rocketed up 30% in a year. Ground beef prices are up 4.8% and chicken by 5.4%.

These are trends that have been in place for some time.

And if you are hoping they will pass, here's the bad news: They may actually accelerate.

The reason? The prices of many underlying raw materials have risen much more quickly still. Wheat prices, for example, have roughly tripled in the past three years.

Sooner or later, the food companies are going to have to pass those costs on. Kraft saw its raw material costs soar by about $1.25 billion last year, squeezing profit margins. The company recently warned that higher prices are here to stay. Last month the chief executive of General Mills, Kendall Powell, made a similar point.

The main reason for rising prices, of course, is the surge in demand from China and India. Hundreds of millions of people are joining the middle class each year, and that means they want to eat more and better food.

A secondary reason has been the growing demand for ethanol as a fuel additive. That's soaking up some of the corn supply.

You can't easily stock up on perishables like eggs or milk. But other products will keep. Among them: Dried pasta, rice, cereals, and cans of everything from tuna fish to fruit and vegetables. The kicker: You should also save money by buying them in bulk.

If this seems a stretch, ponder this: The emerging bull market in agricultural products is following in the footsteps of oil. A few years ago, many Americans hoped $2 gas was a temporary spike. Now it's the rosy memory of a bygone age.

The good news is that it's easier to store Cap'n Crunch or cans of Starkist in your home than it is to store lots of gasoline. Safer, too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

The Wall Streed Frelling JOURNAL?

Son of a gun. That's amazing.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Stock up on commodities

The end is nigh...
    Peacefully Engaged in Domestic Economic Terrorism Since 2004.

Audit Fort Knox so we will know how much Tungsten backs the FRN!

so now it's popular. boo, no fun for us anymore. now we are not the stylish leaders of food storage, and it's just another boring old thing that everyone does.
    what will we think up next?

Quote Originally Posted by thuja View Post
    so now it's popular. boo, no fun for us anymore. now we are not the stylish leaders of food storage, and it's just another boring old thing that everyone does.
    what will we think up next?
    An online trade system between fellow revolutionaries. I'm drying everything that I grow this year that isn't consumed--all 100% organic. Dry food costs less to ship and since it's a trade/bartering system, there's no income to report.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    An online trade system between fellow revolutionaries. I'm drying everything that I grow this year that isn't consumed--all 100% organic. Dry food costs less to ship and since it's a trade/bartering system, there's no income to report.
    Yes. Nothing for the bastards to tax.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Yeah, trade is not income, it is as it says, trade. Nobody made any kind of income or sale.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, trade is not income, it is as it says, trade. Nobody made any kind of income or sale.
    Trade by itself is profitable though. Even in an equal trade. I sell a house, and you want to buy one.. I value the money more than the House, and you value the House (shelter) more than the money. In our trade.

We are BOTH profiting.. you are getting something that you consider more valuable and so am I. In a capitalistic system there is the freedom to choose. If you don't want the trade, you don't do it. Everyone wins
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Worthy Threads:

wonderful idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Trade by itself is profitable though. Even in an equal trade. I sell a house, and you want to buy one.. I value the money more than the House, and you value the House (shelter) more than the money. In our trade.

We are BOTH profiting.. you are getting something that you consider more valuable and so am I. In a capitalistic system there is the freedom to choose. If you don't want the trade, you don't do it. Everyone wins
    I have a feeling the IRS may disagree with you on that one.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

You are jumping to conclusions that best back your beliefs.

When I buy something, I don't consider it a profit. It's more like a wash. I traded them something of equal value, not of greater value or lesser value.

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post

When I buy something, I don't consider it a profit. It's more like a wash. I traded them something of equal value, not of greater value or lesser value.
    LoL, you consider what I said - a belief? LoL do you know what profit means? or how many great minds have held the same notion?

'not of greater value or lesser value.' - in its intrinsic & materialistic value, you both consider it an equal fair trade. The result however is PROFIT : Something that contributes to or increases one's well-being: advantage, benefit, good, interest if you weren't going to get a better use of something, or BENEFIT from a trade - why would you do it? -- you've either been coerced or you're an idiot.

Worthy Threads:

You seem to confuse profit with income. Neither would have made the trade if it did not profit the both of them. Still there was no 'income' by either party.

Edit: Suppose I had a dime and wanted to use a gum ball machine that only took nickels. If I traded my dime with you for your two nickels, neither of us would have made any income. I profited from the trade in that I could then use one of the nickels to run the gum ball machine. I did not make any income from the trade but was able to make a transaction with the gum ball machine. You on the other hand, made no income by trading the nickels for my dime. I doubt you had some kind of a profit from our trade apart from the fact you did somebody some good making the trade.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 04-23-2008 at 08:40 AM.

LoL, you consider what I said - a belief? LoL do you know what profit means? or how many great minds have held the same notion?

'not of greater value or lesser value.' - in its intrinsic & materialistic value, you both consider it an equal fair trade. The result however is PROFIT : Something that contributes to or increases one's well-being: advantage, benefit, good, interest if you weren't going to get a better use of something, or BENEFIT from a trade - why would you do it? -- you've either been coerced or you're an idiot.
    again, I often trade things that don't increase or decrease my well being.

And some times I don't trade.

For instance, I have no intentions of trading barbs with you.

I fear what this will do to the economy and government.

I fear what kind of control may be enacted...

Think about it... in this country, the starving would outnumber any other group... I don't see how we would avoid a distribution of resources from a central government in this situation.

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been buying about a half-dozen extra cans of tuna and other meats every trip to the grocery store.

Stagflation is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    I fear what this will do to the economy and government.

I fear what kind of control may be enacted...

Think about it... in this country, the starving would outnumber any other group... I don't see how we would avoid a distribution of resources from a central government in this situation.
    how cute, the Obama supporter has me in his sig again.

how cute, the Obama supporter has me in his sig again.
    Again? Don't flatter yourself con. I've come back from a week vacation from this place, and noticed your inanity. You are this week's autistic anus for the time being. Congrats.

"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment."

-Bertrand Russell

I received positive rep for extreme sarcasm from a person who thought I was serious ... please look up Poe's Law

That is wrong if you really think about it. If what you were trading had an equal value as whatever you wanted, then what is the point of trading to begin with? There is something you obviously want more out of the item you are trading for.

Even the slightest difference that makes you want to trade for that item makes that item more valuable to you. Therefore, you are in a way making a profit so to speak.
    Privatize the profits, socialize the losses. - Government at its best.

Again? Don't flatter yourself con. I've come back from a week vacation from this place, and noticed your inanity. You are this week's autistic anus for the time being. Congrats.
    Yes again. As in it happened before.

As I recall, I caught you engaging in a bit of dishonesty.

I have a feeling the IRS may disagree with you on that one.
    As an accountant by trade, I can assure you that you are indeed correct.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...113437,00.html

Yes again. As in it happened before.

As I recall, I caught you engaging in a bit of dishonesty.
    Opinions are rarely dishonest.

I don't recall. I've named a few people, specifically Allyinoh. I don't recall you being the Anus yet, but you should wear it proudly.

When you are done attacking fellow Ron Paul supporters and sympathizers, I'll take it off.

-Bertrand Russell

Opinions are rarely dishonest.

I don't recall. I've named a few people, specifically Allyinoh. I don't recall you being the Anus yet, but you should wear it proudly.

When you are done attacking fellow Ron Paul supporters and sympathizers, I'll take it off.
    You are a dip$#@! troll.

I don't find you particularly honest either.

Let me refresh your memory, I mentioned how your signature should be changed to state how you like to make up facts as you go. You changed your signature to say ARealConservative makes up facts.

After I called you out on your pathetic lie, you quickly changed it.

I guess even dip$#@! Obama trolls don't like to get outed for their lies.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, uhh, anyways. As I was saying, it'd be cool to have a network of us supporters to trade goods/services, things like that.

In my little version of Utopia, I live in a neighborhood where I know all of my neighbors, and we all have different skills or focus on different aspects of some of the basics that people need, like food, clothing, plumbing, construction, woodworking, beer-brewing, baking etc. Minimize the use of currency, work your regular jobs, but prepare for being self-sufficient. Even if the worst never happens, you've saved yourself gobs of money in the process, you eat better, you have your own version of an economy, not subject to the whimsy of the Federal Reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by icon124 View Post
    Even the slightest difference that makes you want to trade for that item makes that item more valuable to you. Therefore, you are in a way making a profit so to speak.
    That doesn't make it taxable--and that's the point. You are benefitting, but not actually making a profit. Big benefit.

So, old Rupert Murdoch has put his spin and his blessing on the "food shortage". The burgeoning middle class of China and India wants to get fat, and besides, they're making ethanol. Well, guess what? The same number of people can't eat that much more, if they're eating "better food" it's either made from the same grains or there's land available for growing these "better" grains that used to be used to grow "worse" grains. In short that explanation is bull.

Ethanol? As I understand it, they have to label any gasoline that contains ethanol. Have you seen a big spike in pumps so labeled? If not, where is all this ethanol being sold? The middle east? Yeah, right...

Meanwhile, the farm subsidies continue. People are still paid not to grow things. The USDA continues to do their little cheese business and all the rest. Why?

Where's the truth? Looks to me like farmers are so mechanized that their cost of production is up unless they're smart enough to grow sunflowers or another good source of vegetable oil and refine their own biodiesel (and a lot of them are doing it). Are this fields of sunflowers making all this difference? Or is it that, as in the case of oil, the prices have more to do with speculation than with actual supply and demand? Oil has gone up mostly because of market manipulations, and since corn can also be made into fuel, I see no reason to believe it isn't being manipulated the same way. And lots of reason to know it is being manipulated the same way. So are we really short of food, is the demand really up? Or is it just transportation costs that are actually up? If so, why isn't Kraft learning to sell locally?

Or is Wall Street screwing us again? When the Wall Street Journal under the impeccable guidance of Rupert the Master of Yellow Journalism Murdoch begins offering alibis, I tend to suspect the market manipulators.

Anyone have any facts from the Mercantile to support this WSJ "report"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You are a dip$#@! troll.

I don't find you particularly honest either.

Let me refresh your memory, I mentioned how your signature should be changed to state how you like to make up facts as you go. You changed your signature to say ARealConservative makes up facts.

After I called you out on your pathetic lie, you quickly changed it.

I guess even dip$#@! Obama trolls don't like to get outed for their lies.
    *Yawn*

That really bothered you didn't it? You do make $#@! up though, habitually. And you treat others with a lot more disrespect than I could muster. I only respond in kind. The quote was "I make up facts"... even if it was an implication, you did say it. You can continue to call me a dip$#@! troll, that doesn't take away from your status as a screeching harpy.

Seriously though, you are like an encrusted shard of crap permanently mangled around the anal hair of a dog, usually requiring scissors to remove...except you type, unfortunately, and we are exposed to the insane rantings of a thinking, yet heaping, $#@! pickle.

Perhaps autistic anus is too proper for you, perhaps ARealConstipationalist is more fitting.

-Bertrand Russell

*Yawn*

That really bothered you didn't it? You do make $#@! up though, habitually. And you treat others with a lot more disrespect than I could muster. I only respond in kind. The quote was "I make up facts"... even if it was an implication, you did say it. You can continue to call me a dip$#@! troll, that doesn't take away from your status as a screeching harpy.

Seriously though, you are like an encrusted shard of crap permanently mangled around the anal hair of a dog, usually requiring scissors to remove...except you type, unfortunately, and we are exposed to the insane rantings of a thinking, yet heaping, $#@! pickle.

Perhaps autistic anus is too proper for you, perhaps ARealConstipationalist is more fitting.
    Glad I could jog your crap memory.

Glad I could jog your crap memory.

Magic and wonder are waiting for you.

-Bertrand Russell

Is it absolutely necessary to interrupt the flow of our interesting conversations with these charming speed bumps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast