Thread: Economics and Armies

Economics and Armies

I'm curious. I wonder what would/will happen when the dollar collapses and the government can longer pay the military or even keep them provided with supplies, food, shelter etc...

This is something I never considered before , what do you think?
    Resist or Perish.

I am a sovereign nation unto myself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

New currency

I think the government will issue a new currency and require suppliers to the military to accept it.

I think if the government has guns and armies they can find the supplies and some form of payment... I would anticipate the government, due to 'national interest', 'state of emergency', 'homeland security' etc. would find the needed resources to supply itself, at least for a while after a currency collapse. (Though the military could see a lot of 'deserters' - I wouldn't consider them deserters however- there's always a basic moral problem when the government turns its guns on its own citizens).
    Armies have been kept functioning in many historical examples as the world around them collapses. Even in current crises, it's not the armed men who are starving.
    "Inflation and deflation are about money supply and credit, the latter being more important." Mish Shedlock

Not having the money on hand has not stopped them so far.

Involuntary servitude

But seriously, I think we will become more non-interventionist after all is said is done. Not totally so, we will still be a great force in the world, but we will be less imperialist and not stretched out too thin. We'll likely stay in the Middle-East, where most of the tension is, for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Not having the money on hand has not stopped them so far.
    That's because other countries are willing to buy our debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertytree View Post
    I'm curious. I wonder what would/will happen when the dollar collapses and the government can longer pay the military or even keep them provided with supplies, food, shelter etc...

This is something I never considered before , what do you think?
    That happened to Russia after the USSR fell.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/20...-ron-paul.html
    "I am not the campaign. You are the campaign."--Ron Paul, in ND/MN before Super Tuesday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-qBan8mOiA

But the question of the day is....Will Americans (soldiers) go along with such a scenario? I think the mindset of the two cultures are vastly different.
    Resist or Perish.

I am a sovereign nation unto myself.