Thread: How does the American economy affect the canadian economy?

How does the American economy affect the canadian economy?

I really don't know too much about economics, so i'm hoping someone here can help me understand something.

I'm interested in buying gold and silver since i think it sounds like a wise investment... however I have been reading a lot on these forums and the consensus seems to be that buying gold and silver is one of the smartest investments an American can make with his money.

My question is, should I as a Canadian be concerned about buying precious metals as much as you guys are?

Is our dollar under threat as well? I don't see any reports of this or anything, and like i said I'm not too knowledgeable on economics but, could anyone shed some light on the state of the Canadian economy for me?

Gold and Silver seem like a solid investment for a Canadian but to be honest, i cant explain why

any clarity is appreciated, thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IMO, any country with a fiat monetary system is destined to have the economy associated with it fail. Along with silver and gold, one might consider buying long term storage food. From the looks of the world economy, there is going to be huge price increases in food. The world economy also is what one needs to look at in terms of what their own economy will do. Watch as the economies of the world falter and fail. The economy of the U.S. is just the tip of the iceberg. As it fails, the rest will be pulled down with it.

Yeah, Canada relies heavily on US trade. If we go down, you and Mexico will be next. PMs are a good investment for ANYONE, ESPECIALLY those who live in the Western Hemisphere.

IMO, any country with a fiat monetary system is destined to have the economy associated with it fail.
    That pretty much covers everybody. I guess the only thing to do is leave the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That pretty much covers everybody. I guess the only thing to do is leave the planet.
    Yeah, I've been saying for years, stop the world I want to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    or buy gold...

I've been following currencies of Canada and the US since January now, and they are going down nearly at the same rate.

- The Bank of Canada (Canada's Fed) is cutting interest rates pretty much on par with the US.
    - Canada's current conservative Prime Minister views Bush as a wonderful role model to follow
    - Prices with gas and food are going up at pretty much the same rate (perhaps a tiny bit less) as the US.
    - The last great depression actually had Canada hit as hard or harder than the US

What do you think is going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by sirellyn View Post
    I've been following currencies of Canada and the US since January now, and they are going down nearly at the same rate.

- The Bank of Canada (Canada's Fed) is cutting interest rates pretty much on par with the US.
    - Canada's current conservative Prime Minister views Bush as a wonderful role model to follow
    - Prices with gas and food are going up at pretty much the same rate (perhaps a tiny bit less) as the US.
    - The last great depression actually had Canada hit as hard or harder than the US

What do you think is going to happen?
    Alright bro, people like you convince me that buying gold is a very wise decision in todays day and age.

The only question now is whether to buy silver or gold.

I have a couple of questions for you, since you seem to know your stuff

How long do experts estimate until we'll be in a depression? any idea?

Why is it that canada's dollar remains strong vs. the us dollar, if it's following all the same trends?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Why is it that canada's dollar remains strong vs. the us dollar, if it's following all the same trends?
    As for how long before we will see a depression? Read this article and judge for yourself.
    http://goldmoney.com/en/commentary.php#current

Don't look at the currencies against each other, but rather look at them as to what they can buy. All of the currencies have been going down at pretty much the same rate and thus you can not see much difference between them. Just watch the prices in Canada and see for yourself if things are getting more expensive.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 04-20-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Who is John Galt?
    Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason726 View Post
    Who is John Galt?
    http://www.working-minds.com/johngalt.htm

As the US goes, so goes Canada. I haven't seen anything to convince me that the US economy will turn around, so................ yea...........brace for impact.
    Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups....

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Alright bro, people like you convince me that buying gold is a very wise decision in todays day and age.

The only question now is whether to buy silver or gold.

I have a couple of questions for you, since you seem to know your stuff

Why is it that Canada's dollar remains strong vs. the us dollar, if it's following all the same trends?
    When will we be in a depression?

Before wikipedia took down the page on economic depression. (Isn't that a little strange? The page had been up for years and just as we are actually facing one the page goes down.. Hrm.. maybe it's just me..)

So since there is no agreed upon definition of a depression. I can't really give you an answer.

"Soon" would be the best answer I can give you. I'd tend to think that the current US administration would do everything in its power to offset effects until a new government can come into power (and thus be blamed for it.) So I'm expecting some bad news for the first parts of 2009.

How long will things last? I've heard everything from 20 months to 1 decade. Based on history however, a decade is usually the longest they last. The worst parts of the "Great Depression" where things kept getting worse only lasted 5 years.

Canada's Dollar remains strong..

Not really. The Canadian dollar has climbed to about par with the US dollar during the last part of last year. A big gain. But everything is relative. If you measure the Canadian dollar vs. an average of all other currencies, it's falling. If you measure it again vs Silver, Gold or other commodities, it's falling fast. And you have to realize after the beginning of this year the Canadian dollar has stayed about the same (sometimes slightly over, sometimes slightly under) the US dollar. And we all know that it's tanking.

What will happen?

But put it together. Canada likes "helping" people in need and creating social programs as much as the US does (if not more sometimes.) These programs are usually what causes things to get worse.

Our credit addicted culture unfortunately seems to need this reboot. We've tried and continue to try warning people, but apparently this is the only way. So good should come out of it.

The only danger is that we will be tricked once again into accepting the Amero (or something like it) And because of that I feel that now is the time to start an ad campaign against it.

We tried to warn you.. It's ok you didn't listen, about the war, Bush, the Fed, and the lies the media told. But please, for your own sake, at least listen to your own constitution and don't fall for the Amero.
    Last edited by sirellyn; 04-20-2008 at 02:52 PM.