Thread: Congressman Ron Paul endorses The John Birch Society

Congressman Ron Paul endorses The John Birch Society

Congressman Ron Paul endorses The John Birch Society; congratulates Society in its 50th year

APPLETON, WIS. — April 4, 2008 — Congressman Ron Paul has endorsed The John Birch Society in a statement received from his office this week. His statement also congratulates the Society on being “a great patriotic organization” now in its 50th year.

John McManus, president of JBS, responded, “We graciously accept Dr. Paul’s endorsement. He continues to demonstrate what an elected official should be doing … obeying the Constitution. We thank him for his continuous commitment to protect the freedoms of all Americans. There’s a reason why he consistently rates toward the top of the Freedom Index, our Congressional scorecard rating legislators’ votes published twice a year in The New American magazine.”

Dr. Paul stated, “The John Birch Society is a great patriotic organization featuring an educational program solidly based on constitutional principles. I congratulate the Society in this, its 50th year. I wish them continued success and endorse their untiring efforts to foster ‘less government, more responsibility … and with God’s help … a better world.’”

Dr. Paul has also agreed to be the keynote speaker at the Society’s 50th anniversary celebration, Oct. 2-5, in Appleton.

Now in its 50th year, the John Birch Society, headquartered in Appleton, Wis., is dedicated to restoring and preserving freedom under the U.S. Constitution. Members come from all walks of life and are active throughout the 50 states on local, regional and national issues. United by a strong belief in personal freedom and limited government, plus a sense of duty, members have played a continuous, pivotal role in halting legislation and federal policies that threaten the independence of our country and the freedom of American citizens. Visit www.JBS.org for more information and see why JBS continues to fulfill its founder's vision of “less government, more responsibility, and … with God's help … a better world.”

XXX

Bill Hahn
    Public Relations Manager
    The John Birch Society

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a proud member of the JBS.

And before someone claims they are kooky - they are Ron Paul kooky.

Ask who gives them this reputation - the same people labeling Ron Paul most likely.

Welcome to the forums. Glad you started a real JBS thread (as opposed to a troll thread you may see elsewhere)
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

I'm a new JBS member - This makes me happy!
    Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. –– Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ron Paul admirer since 2007 ...hubba hubba

www.JBS.org

<-- John Birch Society member

Welcome to the Forum!
    Last edited by FrankRep; 04-09-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

I'm a proud member of the JBS.

And before someone claims they are kooky - they are Ron Paul kooky.

Ask who gives them this reputation - the same people labeling Ron Paul most likely.
    I'm not a member of the JBS (yet), but you're absolutely right.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Glad you started a real JBS thread (as opposed to a troll thread you may see elsewhere)
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I know a lot of Birchers here in NC. Good people.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Birchers are front runners in getting state legislators to introduce legislation to stop the NAU. http://www.jbs.org/node/3430

http://www.jbs.org/node/2790

Great to see! My parents were Birchers, and I grew up reading the New American, which is where I learned about Ron Paul. I just joined up myself a few weeks ago.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

I've been awaiting this endorsement. Now I can faithfully sign up, and support their organization.

Don't the Birchers believe that we are giving our gov to the UN, or was it some communist country? Not many Commies left. Didn't the Birchers call Eisenhower a communist? LOL

Paul should have done what Goldwater in '64 did, and that is, avoid the Birchers. Goldwater kicked them off his initial Presidential campaign, and that was smart because they were too kooky. Wathc out the commies are coming.

I attended a presentation by the John Birch Society a couple weeks ago on the potential losses of 2nd amendment rights and national sovereignty with an NAU. The lady who heads up the local group is fairly new to the area but has been a member since 1960! I am planning on attending a couple more meetings. It is a neat group with an established network.

Ron Paul at the 50th Anniversary of the John Birch Society

Ron Paul Addresses John Birch Society

Brian Farmer | The New American
    08 October 2008

Dr. Ron Paul, Texas congressman and 2008 Republican presidential candidate, was the featured speaker Saturday evening, October 4 on the final day of the John Birch Society's 50th Anniversary Celebration. The topic of his keynote address was "Restoring the Republic: Lessons From a Presidential Campaign," in which he lectured the audience on how our republic can be restored with groups such as the John Birch Society (JBS) and his own Campaign for Liberty leading the way.

During his introduction, JBS President John McManus explained that Dr. Paul was known as "Dr. No" on Capitol Hill because he had voted against so much unconstitutional legislation over the years. When Dr. Paul took the podium, he said that his wife had reassured him that it was okay to have that nickname, as long as everyone understood that it was spelled with a "K"!

Dr. Paul made evident his affection for the JBS by stating at the outset, "I am delighted to help celebrate this birthday." And when he moved on to talk about his first successful campaign for Congress in 1976, he said, "I'm sure there are people in this room who probably helped me in that campaign, because I know that so many of you have over the years." He then described his first press conference at the Capitol Hill Club, during which an antagonist from Houston asked him, "Mr. Paul, are you a member of the John Birch Society? Have you ever been a member of the John Birch Society?"

Dr. Paul recalled his response: "No, I am not a member of the John Birch Society but many members of the John Birch Society are friends of mine and they have been very helpful in my campaign."

In reviewing his 2008 presidential campaign, Dr. Paul stated that he was reluctant to run in the primaries, despite being urged by many to do so, because he did not feel that enough preparatory work had been done. But he was surprised to see the response at the rallies, especially from the young people. He gave credit to the JBS for keeping alive the freedom fight through its programs to educate and motivate the American people. He went on to point out that the JBS had planted a lot of seeds over the years and that his presidential campaign was able to tap into the sentiment that sprouted from those efforts.

Not only were Dr. Paul's campaign rallies bigger and more positive than he had expected, but he marveled at the varied background of his supporters, who came from all parts of the political spectrum. From this, he concluded that freedom is popular and brings people together. The antithesis of freedom is big government, which causes people to divide into groups and to fight against each other for a bigger share of the pie, or to push the burden of government from one group onto another.

Throughout his speech, Dr. Paul kept referring to "the remnant," which he described as those who remember and respect the values upon which the United States was founded: self-reliance, personal responsibility, limited government, sound money, the gold standard, etc. He claimed that the important role the JBS has played was to nurture that remnant and added, "The remnant holds the truth together, both the religious truth and the political truth."

As the eldest presidential candidate, Dr. Paul was curious to find out why so many young people were joining his campaign. The most frequent responses he got ranged from the very general, "It sounded like you were the only one telling the truth" (which wasn't real reassuring!) to the more specific, "I liked it when you talked about the Constitution." Dr. Paul was encouraged by that because it meant that a new generation would keep alive the values of "the remnant" and continue the freedom fight. Young people believe that Social Security will not be there for them because they understand how the system works, which was why "End the Fed!" was the most oft-heard chant at his rallies.

Being a Fed gadfly, it was not surprising that Dr. Paul spent some time discussing the recent financial crisis and bailout. He found no satisfaction in seeing many of his forecasts coming true, but it has allowed him to get more face time on television news shows. Pundits challenged his opposition to the bailout with statements such as, "Surely you can't believe that we should do nothing." Dr. Paul's response was that the federal government should return to sound money and lower taxes, and take more care in regulating the regulators. He pointed out that we got into this mess because of too much government spending, too much debt, too much inflation, and too much regulation. Now we are being told that the solution is more of the same!

Dr. Paul recalled the hugely successful Rally for the Republic in Minneapolis and the JBS presence there, with President John McManus as one of the featured speakers. He also complimented the JBS on the big turnout at their anniversary celebration, pointedly mentioning that several extra rooms had been set up to accommodate the overflow crowd. He exhorted the audience to "continue what you have been doing," and concluded with, "I come with a positive message and congratulations to you for all you have done. Congratulations and thank you very much for having me tonight."
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by zara oly View Post
    Don't the Birchers believe that we are giving our gov to the UN, or was it some communist country? Not many Commies left. Didn't the Birchers call Eisenhower a communist? LOL

Paul should have done what Goldwater in '64 did, and that is, avoid the Birchers. Goldwater kicked them off his initial Presidential campaign, and that was smart because they were too kooky. Wathc out the commies are coming.

Now they seem to be on a "watch out the Muslims are coming" kick. Personally, I can't stand any of that hyped-up, fearmongering crap, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by zara oly View Post
    Didn't the Birchers call Eisenhower a communist? LOL

Photo: Ezra Taft Benson, left, Secretary of Agriculture, reaches over to get some
    papers as he meets with President Dwight D. Eisenhower in the president's
    temporary offices in the Gettysburg Hotel, Aug. 19, 1959: AP Images

A confidential letter from Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson said John Birch Society founder Robert Welch was right about the tragic effect of Eisenhower's policies toward Communism.

Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson: Robert Welch was Right about Eisenhower

Jack Kenny | The New American
    16 November 2010

It should surprise no one that someone in the Eisenhower administration would call FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover's attention to the charge made by John Birch Society founder Robert Welch that President Dwight Eisenhower was aiding and abetting the worldwide Communist conspiracy. But it might be surprising to learn that the cabinet official thought Welch was right, at least in the effect the Eisenhower policies were having in advancing rather than containing Communism and ultimately "rolling back the Iron Curtain" — as Republicans said they would do in winning the White House and gaining effective control of Congress in the 1952 elections.

Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson, the only official to serve in the President's cabinet through all eight years of the Eisenhower administration, called Hoover's attention to Welch's statements about Eisenhower and strongly suggested Welch was right about the effect, if not the intent, of the Eisenhower response to Communist expansion.

"In my study of the conspiracy, which I am sure is weak compared with your own, the consequences of Mr. Eisenhower's actions in dealing with the communists have been tragic," Benson wrote in a "personal and confidential" letter to the FBI director. Eisenhower's motives were not the issue, he insisted.

"What difference does it make if your house is burned down by an ignorant man, a person who wants to get warm fast, or an arsonist?" Benson asked Hoover, the Salt Lake Tribune in Salt Lake City, Utah, reported on Monday, November 15. The letter, obtained through a request under the Freedom of Information Act, sheds new light on an old controversy about the Communist conspiracy and, in particular, the claims made by The John Birch Society founder (initially, in private correspondence only) and others that if Eisenhower were truly trying to fight Communism, he was the political equivalent of the famous lost aviator Douglas "Wrong-way" Corrigan.

The pledge to "roll back the Iron Curtain" fell by the wayside early in the Eisenhower administration and by the time "Ike" left office, the Iron Curtain had been extended into Latin America, with the communist Castro installed as the dictator of Cuba, just 90 miles from Key West, Florida. The Kremlin had also been given free rein to crush rebellions in Poland and Hungary, to foment insurrection and revolution in the Third World, capture part of Indochina and threaten to annex West Berlin. Meanwhile, the Eisenhower administration was increasing trade and aid with countries in the Soviet bloc, ostensibly to encourage their independence from Moscow.

The growing communist power and influence in the world and the subsequent damage to American prestige was a theme Sen. John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts made the centerpiece of his campaign against Eisenhower's vice president, Richard Nixon, when Kennedy won the 1960 presidential campaign. It also further aggravated those on the Right and helped fuel the campaign of Arizona Senator Barry M. Goldwater for the Republican presidential nomination in 1964, in what might be called the high-water mark of conservative anti-communism in America.

In his letter to Hoover, Benson said he was considering going public with his concerns "even at the risk of destroying the influence of men who are widely respected and loved" — including Eisenhower, the Salt Lake City paper reported. The Tribune story credits Benson, who might otherwise be largely forgotten as an Agriculture Secretary in an administration that ended 50 years ago, with being an inspiration to today's Tea Party movement, since he was concerned about presidential power and constitutional government as well as security from external threats. Benson was also, the paper noted, the only cabinet member to lead a worldwide church. After his government service, Benson became head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, members of which are commonly known as Mormons. He and fellow Utah author and anti-communist activist Cleon Skousen are among the controversial figures of the 1950s and 60s extolled by current TV and radio commentator and author Glenn Beck, who is also a Mormon and is a favorite with today's Tea Party movement.

The letter adds fuel to a controversy, never quite ended, over who was right in the era known as the Cold War. Those who favored a more hard-line policy toward the Soviet Union and its allies and a more vigorous investigation into communist activities at home can turn to the Venona papers and other documents unearthed since the fall of the Soviet Union and make the case that the late Sen. Joe McCarthy (R-Wisconsin) has been vindicated by the corroboration from the Soviet files of many of the claims McCarthy made about Soviet spies in the U.S. government. Similarly, Benson's letter may help rehabilitate the reputation of The John Birch Society and its late founder.

Goldwater won the Republican presidential nomination in 1964 with the heavy backing of many JBS members. The Senate's leading spokesman for conservatism, Goldwater had captured national attention with his 1960 bestseller, The Conscience of a Conservative, and followed that with a book specifically about the Cold War, entitled Why Not Victory? Supporters of the plain-spoken Arizonan believed he would lead a renaissance of anti-Communism in Washington policy and in the nation at large, reverse the fortunes of the free world and bring about an end to Communism. Critics charged that Goldwater's policy of "brinkmanship" was reckless and dangerous and could easily lead to a nuclear world war.

The John Birch Society was then a young and rapidly growing organization, having been founded by Welch in December of 1958. The Birchers became the subject of a sustained media and public relations attack, however, when it was learned the founder and president had previously circulated a yet-unpublished manuscript describing Eisenhower as a politically ambitious general who had become a "conscious and articulate" ally of the Communist conspiracy. The manuscript, self-published as The Politician in 1963, portrayed the former President as a willing tool of the enemies of American freedom. The charge, though rigorously argued and heavily documented, shocked the nation and most of the journalistic establishment of the day and has haunted The John Birch Society ever since. At the convention that nominated Goldwater in 1964, liberal and "moderate" Republicans offered a plank to the party platform condemning the extremism of the Communist Party, the Ku Klux Klan — and The John Birch Society. It was rejected by the delegates, who cheered mightily when Goldwater in his acceptance speech declared: "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of freedom is no vice...."

Yet Eisenhower was also applauded at the same convention when he deplored "sensation-seeking columnists and commentators" attempting to sow discord within the Republican ranks — something the Republicans were doing rather thoroughly on their own. Goldwater sought and received Eisenhower's endorsement, but the Arizonan went down to defeat anyway, winning only his home state and five Southern states in a Lyndon Johnson 44-state landslide. John Birch Society President John F. McManus recalls the turmoil of the Goldwater campaign, the attack on the Society and the loyalty of Benson, who had remained a friend of the Birchers and a personal friend of McManus long after leaving government. Benson would write long letters to Welch, who asked McManus to answer in his stead, since the correspondence had become time consuming.

"I became the pen pal," McManus recalls. "I could go into Salt Lake City, tell him I'm coming into town and he would say, 'You come right over.' " Benson's influence might have had the effect of keeping Hoover and the FBI from investigating The John Birch Society, as some liberal organizations had urged, the Tribune reported. McManus also recalls the Society published a book of quotations from the FBI director, called The Wisdom of J. Edgar Hoover. That also might have helped dissuade the legendary G-man from "saying anything mean and nasty about The John Birch Society," McManus said.

The long and warm friendship with Benson also helped McManus and the Society establish contacts in Utah and other part of the West, a distant stretch from Belmont, Massachusetts, the JBS headquarters at the time. McManus recalls speaking to a gathering of about 300 people one evening in Utah, where the population is heavily Mormon. The John Birch Society is not affiliated with any church and is open to persons of all races and faiths, but one member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints asked the speaker afterward, "Are you LDS?"

"No, I'm RC," answered McManus, who is Roman Catholic.

"What's that?" was the gentleman's response, McManus recalls with a laugh.

SOURCE:
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/index....ch-against-ike

The Politician: A look at the political forces that propelled Dwight David Eisenhower into the Presidency

Originally intended to be an unpublished letter to friends, "The Politician" became one of the most provocative books in American history. A timely foreword explains the continuing significance of Welch's expose' of the forces that propelled Dwight D. Eisenhower into the presidency. (2002ed, 544pp, pb)
    ----

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They put out an excellent magazine. The New American.

I keep the latest edition in the study and study it until the new one comes.

You can read it online but I think the steam from the shower would mess your computer up pretty fast.