Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortages will start happening NOW! Please read and prepare

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Just don't use Monsanto seeds or you will be eating for one season!

That may be a problem with those that grow for farmers markets too...

They are taking over seed companies, and now just about any seed you can get at a grocery store, hardware store or garden center is genetically altered to not produce viable seed. Remember, starvation is one of the oldest weapons of mass destruction - and it's in the hands of a corporation with a very unethical track record. There was a reason why the use of Monsanto seeds was mandated in the Iraqi Constitution and saving or using heirloom seeds made illegal.

-n
    I only use OP seeds, but am leaning towards a perennial based diet aside from a few staples like kale, potato's, quinoa and amaranth. I've got 700 goji (lycium chinense) going an they are selling like crazy. Everyone with property could and maybe should start a perennial food plant nursery in my opinion. Look into the 'plants for a future' database for ideas on perennial food plants for your site.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance C Roseman View Post
    I only use OP seeds, but am leaning towards a perennial based diet aside from a few staples like kale, potato's, quinoa and amaranth. I've got 700 goji (lycium chinense) going an they are selling like crazy. Everyone with property could and maybe should start a perennial food plant nursery in my opinion. Look into the 'plants for a future' database for ideas on perennial food plants for your site.
    I've been looking into perennial vegetables as well, but it seems pretty limited for this area (NW PA), plenty of fruits, berries and herbs, but vegetables are pretty rare.

Any suggestions?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I've been looking into perennial vegetables as well, but it seems pretty limited for this area (NW PA), plenty of fruits, berries and herbs, but vegetables are pretty rare.

Any suggestions?
    Jerusalem artichokes, asparagus and rhubarb immediately come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wgadget View Post
    I heard the truckers were going to go on strike come April. This should only make matters worse...
    It is a one day event.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=130478

Radio Interview here:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/apr...ains-momentum/
    Carole

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over. -Cong. Louis McFadden

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Any suggestions?
    Take a local Permaculture design course and you'll find people whom are knowledgeable about food/fiber/fuel/medicine plants that will thrive in your area. The courses tend to cost about $100.00 for an introduction, just google your county and permaculture and you are apt to find something. I haven't found too many areas without at least one 'permie'. But as I stated earlier, there will be a bunch of global warming stuff and peak oil junk.

http://www.scottlondon.com/interviews/mollison.html

"Scott London: A reviewer once described your teachings as "seditious."

Bill Mollison: Yes, it was very perceptive. I teach self-reliance, the world's most subversive practice. I teach people how to grow their own food, which is shockingly subversive. So, yes, it’s seditious. But it’s peaceful sedition"

Thanks Lance and LittleLightShining for both suggestions. I'll hunt around for a course and see what can grow in this area.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Got railroads?
    Warren Buffet does.

Hop aboard the money train with him...
    "pledged is as pledged does" -- delegates, that is.

Ron Paul is MY President, no matter what the November election tells me.

I've chosen him as my de jure leader, and as long as he represents the message of freedom, he represents ME

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

Monsanto is in the process of acquiring and patenting their newest technology, known as "Terminator Technology." This technology is currently the greatest threat to humanity. If it is used by Monsanto on a large-scale basis, it will inevitably lead to famine and starvation on a worldwide basis.

Billions of people on the planet are supported by farmers who save seeds from the crops and replant these seeds the following year. Seeds are planted. The crop is harvested. And the seeds from the harvest are replanted the following year. Most farmers cannot afford to buy new seeds every year, so collecting and replanting seeds is a crucial part of the agricultural cycle. This is the way food has been grown successfully for thousands of years.

With Monsanto's terminator technology, they will sell seeds to farmers to plant crops. But these seeds have been genetically-engineered so that when the crops are harvested, all new seeds from these crops are sterile (e.g., dead, unusable). This forces farmers to pay Monsanto every year for new seeds if they want to grow their crops.

In less rich countries, hundreds of millions of people rely heavily on small farms which produce foods for the region. If these farms begin to use Monsanto's terminator technology, and cannot afford to buy new genetically engineered seeds from Monsanto the following year, many of the people in the region may starve. Under normal circumstances, food could be brought in from other regions. However, many of those other regions will likely have the same problems with famine due to Monsanto's terminator technology.

"It's terribly dangerous," says Hope Shand, "half the world's farmers are poor and can't afford to buy seed every growing season, yet poor farmers grow 15 to 20% of the world's food and they directly feed at least 1.4 billion people - 100 million in Latin America, 300 million in Africa, and 1 billion in Asia. These farmers depend upon saved seed and their own breeding skills in adapting other varieties for use on their (often marginal) lands."

What is even more frightening is that traits from genetically-engineered crops can get passed on to other crops. Once the terminator seeds are released into a region, the trait of seed sterility could be passed to other non-genetically-engineered crops making most or all of the seeds in the region sterile.

Camila Montecinos, an agronomist with the Chilean organization, CET, has another concern, "We've talked to a number of crop geneticists who have studied the patent," she says. "They're telling us that it's likely that pollen from crops carrying the Terminator trait will infect the fields of farmers who either reject or can't afford the technology. Their crop won't be affected that season but when farmers reach into their bins to sow seed the following season they could discover - too late - that some of their seed is sterile. This could lead to very high yield losses. If the technology is transmitted through recessive genes, we could see several years of irregular harvests and a general - even dramatic - decline in food security for the poorest farm communities."
    Holy hell. Sometimes I think conspiracies are nuts, and other times I think it's all too easy to carry them out with today's populace looking the other way (at the TV, usually).

This could potentially explain the seedbank effort. I sure hope it doesn't though... as that bodes very badly indeed.
    "pledged is as pledged does" -- delegates, that is.

Ron Paul is MY President, no matter what the November election tells me.

I've chosen him as my de jure leader, and as long as he represents the message of freedom, he represents ME

are my pet birds done for?!

Quote Originally Posted by kyleAF View Post
    Holy hell. Sometimes I think conspiracies are nuts, and other times I think it's all too easy to carry them out with today's populace looking the other way (at the TV, usually).

This could potentially explain the seedbank effort. I sure hope it doesn't though... as that bodes very badly indeed.
    This is exactly why the seedbank happened.

Quote Originally Posted by orafi View Post
    Not only those but pretty soon your dogs and cats as well (all in the name of preventing a 'national emergency', of course! )
    "...It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere..." -- Voltaire

"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic." ~~ D. James

Ron Paul! I BELIEVE!!

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Amy, Farmers Markets are a goldmine in these areas. If stores close due to rare deliveries or bad economy, people will still need a centralized area to buy and sell.
    I would agree that Farmer's Markets are a goldmine, but can you imagine what would happen if all the people that show up at grocery stores on any given Saturday show up at the market instead? OMG.

Think runs on the banks are bad, imagine runs on the grocery stores without being able to get them restocked due to gas prices... this is scary stuff indeed...

I think right now, people are just figuring out how to reduce gas use though. If they can ship less by truck, then they will. I read somewhere that every penny that gas goes up costs the trucking industry $256 million per month. Pretty insane... but its going to push rail stocks up, so buy some CSX
    "For when our kids go off to battle, no one dare oppose the action, for that is seen as opposing them. The blood of our nation's youth, all too often, is spilt as if it can wipe away the policy sins of the Congress and the President."
    ~ Ron Paul
    November 23, 1998

You are here.

We are in the preplanning stages of setting up a market. We have a treed corner lot in an area surrounded by new subdivisions (no high foreclosures, hopefully) and sidewalks. Many of the homes have large backyards perfect for growing a few fruis and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLightShining View Post
    Seed farms are big operations-- usually. If the seeds are grown using conventional, non-organic methods, you can assume that the land the seeds are grown on is being polluted. The more we can support organic seed farms, the more land we can keep clean, sending a message to the bigger seed farms that home gardeners are concerned about the integrity of the land. Even if they don't get the message,we can help the more thoughtful seed farmers make a good living.
    in india, farmers commit suicide regularly, due to the control monsanto has over them. see www.gmwatch.org get their newsletter to stay familiar w/happenings worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by orafi View Post
    hope not. feed organic seeds. grow sunflowers?

hey, smokers! get organic cigs! the companies are using genetically modified tobacco in them.
    american spirit makes them.
    as for shortages, most will not feel sorry for a smoker that ran out, so better stop now. i am a health nut, tree hugger, animal lover, as you know, but am a champion smoker. if you stop, you are in good company, mine. i will not want to be freaking out over cigs if other things are going on.

book:the new seed starters, by bubel hope it's useful

Quote Originally Posted by thuja View Post
    hey, smokers! get organic cigs! the companies are using genetically modified tobacco in them.
    as for shortages, most will not feel sorry for a smoker that ran out, so better stop now. i am a health nut, tree hugger, animal lover, as you know, but am a champion smoker. if you stop, you are in good company, mine. i will not want to be freaking out over cigs if other things are going on.
    I buy organic roll-your-own from American Spirit and make my own filters with natural cotton. It costs me about $8 for 3 weeks of cigs. I only smoke maybe 4 a day, though. I'll just quit if I can't get them when shtf.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thuja View Post
    We should make our own cigs with a $ logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    We should make our own cigs with a $ logo.
    Anyone have a formula for blue steel suitable for rail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    We are in the preplanning stages of setting up a market. We have a treed corner lot in an area surrounded by new subdivisions (no high foreclosures, hopefully) and sidewalks. Many of the homes have large backyards perfect for growing a few fruis and veggies.
    As you know, food markets and victory gardens are not new. They were plentiful during the 30s and 40s. Having said that, this is a good time to purchase gardening tools that do not require gasoline. Puchasing seeds may become a problem in the future but they are plentiful today.

Also, now is a good time to learn about growing and preserving your own stuff whether you will actually need that knowledge or not. I did just that several years ago -- it is fun; the food taste good too!

OK first off ALL commercial seeds are controlled by about 6-8 companies. They ALL produce 'terminator' seeds as that is how they make their money by forcing folks to buy their products year after year. The only ones they do not control is the small companies selling 'heirloom' seeds which allow you to use the seeds from their veggies to produce the next years crop.

As for folks who smoke I suggest going to a pipe. You can grow your own tobacco and can use it without paper of filters. The trick is using a GOOD pipe and not some $9.95 Dr. Graybowl special. BTW tobacco growing is HARD!

As for economical transportation of goods look at what we are doing already with barges on the rivers. You will be surprised just how much more they are moving than trucks and trains COMBINED.

It will NOT be the Union truckers that will strike as the companies that hire them just pass the fuel cost along to US. It will be the independants that are getting hit the worst NOW by both fuel and the current government.

Now you have your garden that you are feeding YOUR family with. What are you gonna do to protect it when folks start 'borrowing' YOUR food from you? For that matter what are you gonna do for toilet paper when the trucks quit delivering?

There is WAY more to surviving than just building a bomb shelter and buying a gun. Folks may want to google up some survival sites that have been at it for YEARS. They are not so silly now are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
    As for economical transportation of goods look at what we are doing already with barges on the rivers. You will be surprised just how much more they are moving than trucks and trains COMBINED.

Now you have your garden that you are feeding YOUR family with. What are you gonna do to protect it when folks start 'borrowing' YOUR food from you? For that matter what are you gonna do for toilet paper when the trucks quit delivering?

There is WAY more to surviving than just building a bomb shelter and buying a gun. Folks may want to google up some survival sites that have been at it for YEARS. They are not so silly now are they?
    Damn. You sound torqued off. No reason, you are amongst friends here and there's nothing wrong with learning new things.

Anyways, so, get heirloom seeds--check. Stock up on toilet paper--check. Stock up on food--check.

Have any good websites you can share?

i'm glad i got tons of toilet paper before all you guys bought it up.
    i smoked a pipe years ago just to be funny, but that's a very good idea, in case i didn't manage quitting smoking on time.

I'm just gonna take shower every time I have to $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadtoSin View Post
    I'd prepare with food/water/silver/gold but I don't have any money. I basically earn enough to make it to the next week. I'm a bit nervous about the future to be honest.
    God is with you....and we are praying for you. Watch the google video "Who Moved My Cheese?" it will change your way of solving this problem.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    I'm just gonna take shower every time I have to $#@!.
    I can't stop laughing!

Seriously though, is burpee seeds part of the monsanto breed? In which case I'll have to start my wee plants from scratch again.

Damn. You sound torqued off. No reason, you are amongst friends here and there's nothing wrong with learning new things.

Anyways, so, get heirloom seeds--check. Stock up on toilet paper--check. Stock up on food--check.

Have any good websites you can share?
    No, not torqued. Just constantly amazed how little useful things we Americans know. We know more about Brittany's belly button than what we put in our mouths everyday.

As to survival sites here is a couple to start with.

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/
    http://libertyquestandfreedomboard.yuku.com/

I will tell you up front that the second one is mine and a few friends of mine. It is open to the world for anyone wanting to know about survival. Some of us have been 'survivalist' for alot of years. Even before it was considered evil by some that liken it to militias. It is about surviving about anything. Know this though I am NOT here recruiting for the board. Just trying to share info.

Frugals has been around for YEARS and is one of the better known ones. Good site that I have nothing but good things to say about it.

There is a site somewhere that lists the things that disappear first in time of trouble that I cannot find right now, but if I can find it I will post it. Some of the things will open your eyes as to what to stock up on first. It was compiled by interviewing folks in the former Yugoslavia and shows what disappeared first when they disbanded.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast