Thread: Different Standards for Black and White Preachers

Arrow Different Standards for Black and White Preachers

Different Standards for Black and White Preachers

Posted March 19, 2008
    Cenk Uygur

Rudy Giuliani's priest has been accused in grand jury proceedings of molesting several children and covering up the molestation of others. Giuliani would not disavow him on the campaign trail and still works with him.

Mitt Romney was part of a church that did not view black Americans as equals and actively discriminated against them. He stayed with that church all the way into his early thirties, until they were finally forced to change their policies to come into compliance with civil rights legislation. Romney never disavowed his church back then or now. He said he was proud of the faith of his fathers.

Jerry Falwell said America had 9/11 coming because we tolerated gays, feminists and liberals. It was our fault. Our chickens had come home to roost, if you will. John McCain proudly received his support and even spoke at his university's commencement.

Reverend John Hagee has called the Catholic Church the "Great Whore." He has said that the Anti-Christ will rise out of the European Union (of course, the Anti-Christ will also be Jewish). He has said all Muslims are trained to kill and will be part of the devil's army when Armageddon comes (which he hopes is soon). John McCain continues to say he is proud of Reverend Hagee's endorsement.

Reverend Rod Parsley believes America was founded to destroy Islam. Since this is such an outlandish claim, I have to add for the record, that he is not kidding. Reverend Parsley says Islam is an "anti-Christ religion" brought down from a "demon spirit." Of course, we are in a war against all Muslims, including presumably Muslim-Americans. Buts since Parsley believes this is a Christian nation and that it should be run as a theocracy, he is not very concerned what Muslim-Americans think.

John McCain says Reverend Rod Parsley is his "spiritual guide."

What separates all of these outrageous preachers from Barack Obama's? You guessed it. They're white and Reverend Jeremiah Wright is not. If it's not racism that's causing the disparity in media treatment of these preachers, then what is it?

I'm willing to listen to other possible explanations. And I am inclined to believe that the people these preachers go after are more important than the race of the preacher. It's one thing to go after gays, liberals and Muslims -- that seems to be perfectly acceptable in America -- it's another to accuse white folks of not living up to their ideals.

I think there is another factor at play as well. The media is deathly afraid of calling out preachers of any stripe for insane propaganda from the pulpits for fear that they will be labeled as anti-Christian. But criticism of Rev. Wright falls into their comfort zone. It's easy to blame him for being anti-American because he criticizes American foreign and domestic policy.

If Rev. Wright had preached about discriminating against gay Americans or Muslims, there probably would not have been any outcry at all. That falls into the category of "respect their hateful opinions because they cloak themselves in the church."

But one thing is indisputable -- the enormous disparity in how the media has covered these white preachers as opposed to Rev. Wright. Have you ever even heard of Rod Parsley? As you can see from what I listed above, all of these white preachers have said and done the most outlandish and offensive things you can imagine -- and hardly a peep.

If the disparity in coverage isn't racist, then what is it?

Link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is difficult to argue disparity of coverage when the author provides no data on coverage.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hawks4ronpaul View Post
    It is difficult to argue disparity of coverage when the author provides no data on coverage.

Do you expect statistics on minutes of discussion on each person over the last ten years? Come now, you can acknowledge the truth of the matter with a shallow look.

This whole situation is terrifically upsetting.
    Last edited by qaxn; 03-21-2008 at 09:41 AM.

I disagree with this article.

Didn't you say candidates should not be known by their pastors, or by their religious leaders who endorse them? Weren't you the one who posted the 'what if candidates were judged by their pastors' link? Choking on your own words?

I hate to break it to you, Christianity has been censored in the media long before any of this happened. For a long while now.

http://forums.families.com/not-allow...school,t114512
    http://advertising.about.com/b/2005/...dvertising.htm (this happened all over).
    http://www.catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1362
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104916,00.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6745305/

How many white priests/preachers/deacons were put on the news for molesting young boys and girls? A lot.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...180340/-1/NEWS
    http://www.bishop-accountability.org...rmerPriest.htm

Westboro Baptist Church is a predominately white group, and you always hear about them. You couldn't have NOT heard about this group. If it was perfectly 'right' for America, why would so much news be published against this group (one that is against homosexuals, our troops, muslims, other countries... you name it, they're against it).

If Rev. Wright had preached about discriminating against gay Americans or Muslims, there probably would not have been any outcry at all.

That is so wrong. The author is too comfortable on his high horse to look at all the times Christian churches were attacked, vandalized, and not seen as 'hate crimes,' when they obviously were. People have cried so much that Christianity isn't in anything anymore.

My mom was fired by her Jewish superintendant at the school she taught at, because she did not like the fact my Christian mother constantly wore a cross. Is that so right? My mom had a Jehovah is her class that wouldn't salute the flag, and he got everyone in the class to not salute the flag, and she's couldn't say anything about it.

Quick question for you though. Are you around a city, or rather, are you around different mixes of people all the time? Does your town, city, whatever have Mosques, synagogues, and Churches? If not, you are getting a complete bias view of everything.
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 03-21-2008 at 09:46 AM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by qaxn View Post
    Do you expect statistics on minutes of discussion on each person over the last ten years?
    Yes (minutes or some other measure), I remember a lot of coverage on Falwell, McCain, and also 2002 Trent Lott when each story broke--even though none of them were leading presidential candidates at the time.

Last edited by hawks4ronpaul; 03-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.

I think the Arab author of this article has a biasness against Christianity. Nothing more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I think the Arab author of this article has a biasness against Christianity. Nothing more than that.
    1. The dude's Turkish
    2. This has all the depth of bias analysis in an AP World History paper. Try harder.
    edit: 3. This article didn't even have anything to do with Christianity. Did you even read it?

Yes every one of those stories were big news but I think what you have is the Clinton machine taking this story and running with it. It is kind of ironic how the democrats are calling each other racist. It mkes me so mad when I get called a racist because I believe in small government by the democrats.
    This democratic race is doing more harm to race relations than anything in decades. It may turn out to be a good thing in that if they nominate Hillary it may very well break the monolithic black voting block away from the Democrats and they may start looking for candidates that believe in real freedom for the individual.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Yes every one of those stories were big news but I think what you have is the Clinton machine taking this story and running with it. It is kind of ironic how the democrats are calling each other racist. It mkes me so mad when I get called a racist because I believe in small government by the democrats.
    This democratic race is doing more harm to race relations than anything in decades. It may turn out to be a good thing in that if they nominate Hillary it may very well break the monolithic black voting block away from the Democrats and they may start looking for candidates that believe in real freedom for the individual.
    This election shows that "liberals" and neocons cry race almost randomly, including against each other (Dem. vs. Dem.).

Hi give.me.liberty

give.me.liberty
    Didn't you say candidates should not be known by their pastors, or by their religious leaders who endorse them? Weren't you the one who posted the 'what if candidates were judged by their pastors' link? Choking on your own words?
    Errrr! No! I didn't write that headline, (If A Candidate Is Known By The Pastor They Keep ... which has now been changed to it's original title: Judge to ex-pastor: 'You lied') I simply copied the headline from a post on http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

I guess Mike Rivero was having a dig at the MSM for the way they tried to 'expose' Obama's pastor. If Obama is being judged for his connection to Pastor White then the same should apply to the other candidates whos pastors were just as fanatical or worse, child molesters.

From what I have heard from pastor White, I tend to agree with a lot of what he talks about.

give.me.liberty
    Quick question for you though. Are you around a city, or rather, are you around different mixes of people all the time? Does your town, city, whatever have Mosques, synagogues, and Churches? If not, you are getting a complete bias view of everything.
    I originate from Tottenham, North London that is mixed with jews, Muslims, Christians and atheists (like myself) of all races, of which, I have friends who hold each belief. (It is not something we ever spoke about though) And yes, there are synagogs, Mosques and Churches in and around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by qaxn View Post
    1. The dude's Turkish
    Doesn't matter if hes a Kurd, Turk, or an Arab. Hes a muslim with an agenda.

3. This article didn't even have anything to do with Christianity. Did you even read it?
    Saying that Rod Parsley is apart of some kind of anti-muslim agenda due to the fact that he opposes islamist insanity from the mullahs and such is totally irrational. Yeah I read it, much better than you. This Turkish muslim has a biasness against Christianity and 'White'-America.

Take a look at this anti-Morman stuff, he doesn't attack SOME Mormans, he attacks the whole religious philosphy.

was part of a church that did not view black Americans as equals and actively discriminated against them.
    A church that discriminated against blacks? Why single out Mormanism? Protestants took the blacks as slaves and brought them to America. And Catholics are guilty aswell.

He stayed with that church all the way into his early thirties,
    Just like Muslims stay with their religion despite the savages in their faith.

until they were finally forced to change their policies to come into compliance with civil rights legislation. Romney never disavowed his church back then or now. He said he was proud of the faith of his fathers.
    Whats wrong with that? All other Christians stuck with their own sects throughout the bad times. Why is Mormanism different? I don't understand why people hate mormans.

and Ps: I'm not even a christian. But I just think the article takes things a little too far.

But my main problem is that this Turkish guy seems to be saying that theres some kind of White conspiracy against minoritys in America. When infact it would be opposite.
    Last edited by Flash; 03-21-2008 at 11:11 AM.