Thread: How can I tell if a bone is broken?

How can I tell if a bone is broken?

My two year old just had a heavy metal barstool fall on her....

She has swelling and it's black and blue over the kneecap....

She's not crying and she can walk pretty normal - we have ice on it now....

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldn't ask an internet forum for that information.

Several medical clinics has nurses available to answer questions to figure out if this requires medical attention. You should call your own doctor's office and see if they have a nurse who can help answer the question.
    Which is easier to keep down, a salad, a slab of steak, or a pint of beer if you are moving at approximately 29,658 meters per second and rotating at a maximum of tangential velocity of 463 meters per seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    I wouldn't ask an internet forum for that information.

Several medical clinics has nurses available to answer questions to figure out if this requires medical attention. You should call your own doctor's office and see if they have a nurse who can help answer the question.

Thanks banana - I just can't think right now - thanks

If she is walking and putting weight on it then it isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiebott View Post
    If she is walking and putting weight on it then it isn't broken.

Thanks I think it just pinched the skin because it's pretty black and blue but she's now walking and can even jump - thanks guys

What's the matter with you? Take her and get it x-rayed! It could be chipped, or fractured but not all the way through!

People like you are the reason the liberals think that children should belong to the state!

I agree, it could be cracked or have a "greenbone" fracture. The way she is acting it doesn't sound like it, a call to her doctor couldn't hurt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I agree, it could be cracked or have a "greenbone" fracture. The way she is acting it doesn't sound like it, a call to her doctor couldn't hurt though.

Thanks I was reall freaking out and yelling at my wife - damn I feel bad - I'm watching her now...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    small children bones don't break as easily as adults. If it swells more or appears to be too tender maybe you need to take her in.

What a strange forum thread to start
    Theocrat on the Holocaust and the current 1,000,000+ dead in Iraq:

You're probably going to hate me for saying this, but that wasn't God's chastisement. It was His sovereign wrath and justice upon those people. Of course, that won't make any sense to you if you fail to understand the doctrine of God's sovereignty. It's a very deep subject, indeed.
    I.E.: Why Christianity is not that great.

Hey,
    The only way to know if it is fractured for sure is to get it x-rayed.

It is likely not significantly fractured, but there is a chance there could be a significant fracture and you not know it without x-ray (doctor neither).

Once again, not likely anything serious, but no way to know for sure without x-ray. Chances are she will be fine.

If there is something significantly broken however and it is not treated it could lead to arthritis or joint malfunction later in life. The chances of this are very small, but if it were my child I would suck it up and go to the doctor and pay for x-ray just for the peace of mind.

More than you ever wanted to know about patellar fractures at link below.

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/TOPIC528.HTM

pappy
    Last edited by pappy; 03-19-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    What's the matter with you? Take her and get it x-rayed! It could be chipped, or fractured but not all the way through!

People like you are the reason the liberals think that children should belong to the state!
    Yeah, some people actually have a lot of money to run to the emergency room every time something happens.

Take a break on the guy.

Bump for Ghemminger interest.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11