Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why YOU should get into reloading. Yes, YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I absolutely do not understand this line of thought. Reloaded ammo is, essentially, recycled, revived ammo, using your own materials, right? So, if that's the case, then it's not "for the express purpose of killing people", it's for the express purpose of saving money and also possibly for environmental and practical reasons.
    yeah i've shot crap loads of reloaded ammo from pistols to shotguns it saves lots of dough and, once you get your reloading skills tuned, it's pretty reliable.

Virg might be onto something though. I can only imagine the craziness some anti-gun prosecuting attourney fresh out of a government school could muster up to throw at a "big-bad-gun-shooting-monster"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great informative post Doktor. I only just found it on the third page of this sub-forum.
    I learned a lot there.

Bumping it back up to the top now, maybe this should be made a sticky?
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by maeqFREEDOMfree View Post
    Virg might be onto something though. I can only imagine the craziness some anti-gun prosecuting attourney fresh out of a government school could muster up to throw at a "big-bad-gun-shooting-monster"
    That same faulty logic can be used for factory ammo. You put bullets in your gun for the express purpose of killing someone. Hell, why not go even further... you bought a gun just to kill people. What about that sharp steak knife? Or your car.
    All your voter base are belong to us!

What you need to do is modify your molds to have a tiny one of these:

Then you can say that they are "green" bullets.
    Last edited by Cogz; 04-17-2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Making it more funny

Great info Doktor.

Not having enough ammo on hand, not being able to afford more, ammo out of stock at the store, buying more equiptment, primers out of stock at store, hours grinding up matches, worries of 700 deg lead in my eye, lead posioning...........

Just a few more reasons to snap me out of bed at 3 am.
    I feel time is running short.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Jeep View Post
    I think we can count on our hands how many times the average gun owner shoots per year(and if you live in one of those state you would) and not run out of digits.
    COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO SPIRIT OF ORIGINAL POST WARNING!!!!

and lacking any kind of factual basis.
    Last edited by the_british_are_coming; 05-03-2008 at 10:48 AM.

One problem

You can't use cast bullets in gas-operated semi-auto rifles because the lead fouls the gas system. So if you want to stash reloading supplies for your semi-auto rifles, you need to stash jacketed bullets too. Or learn how to swage bullets. Or are there alternatives?

I wonder if you can wrap a lead bullet with teflon plumber's tape to keep it from fouling the gas system?

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    You can't use cast bullets in gas-operated semi-auto rifles because the lead fouls the gas system. So if you want to stash reloading supplies for your semi-auto rifles, you need to stash jacketed bullets too. Or learn how to swage bullets. Or are there alternatives?

I wonder if you can wrap a lead bullet with teflon plumber's tape to keep it from fouling the gas system?
    Your best bet is to stash the bullets. They take up very little space. Sometimes you can get lucky and buy a bad lot of ammo to pull the projectiles, for less than you can buy the projectiles for.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by the_british_are_coming View Post
    COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO SPIRIT OF ORIGINAL POST WARNING!!!!

and lacking any kind of factual basis.
    Post your facts contrary to mine first.

And ... Why? Why your post like that now? What is your agenda?

COINTELPRO internet distruption manual:

1. Be a troll
    2. Derail the thread.

So someone at Quantico is seeing this thread and saying "Oh no! This will undermine the taking over of the ammo producers and making ammo too expensive for the future slaves to get any practice with! Get some people into those threads!"

Chances are you will play the victim now. Surely the instructions you are given will be to start a pissing match. So I will pursue this no further and put you on ignore.

Tell your handlers they will lose and someday they will be on trial when the Bill of Rights is enforced.

And we post what we want in the threads. This is related to reloading because your average idiot who seldom shoots is only on their way to providing a free gun to the relatives of those state minions who will be given the orders to confiscate.
    If this should be, our final stand,
    we will stand together with pride
    We will honour the past, and fight to the last,
    it will be a good way to die
    It matters not, if the cause is lost,
    and we can not stop the tide
    We will fight to the end, and then fight again,

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-points-of-fright View Post
    That same faulty logic can be used for factory ammo. You put bullets in your gun for the express purpose of killing someone. Hell, why not go even further... you bought a gun just to kill people. What about that sharp steak knife? Or your car.
    Good point. unfortunately this logic is used :-(

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All is not lost on rifle bullets, at least for 22 caliber or 5.56 types.

There are special dies out there, pricey, that let you stretch and press a .22LR casing into a bullet jacket, that is then pressed with a lead core that comes in roles (or cast them yourself for a harder round : ) )

I forget who makes them however but considering how many .22 casings are considered junk and left on the ranges, compare that to a price of a 1000 5.56 bullets. Cheap cheap cheap.

Cast rifle bullets can be used on a bolt-gun that uses no gas porting system however the lead must be considerably harder than for pistol rounds. The "science" of how hard as usual is just as much an art as is for pistol rounds. Whereas I find that you can get away with using solder and wheel weights for pistol rounds, rifle rounds require a higher level of tin and antimony not only to cut down on fouling but the rate of spin and speed of travel can cause a rifle bullet to disintegrate if not hard enough.

bullets for gas-operated semis

It is probably cheaper to just buy a BUNCH of jacketed bullets than to buy all the dies, press, and materials needed to make jacketed bullets. If post-apocalytic mayhem lasts so long that I burn through thousands of rounds in my semi-autos, I guess I can switch to a bolt gun for the long haul and use cast bullets. There will be no shortage of lead. Think of all the car batteries that will be avaialble when the oil dries up!

It is probably cheaper to just buy a BUNCH of jacketed bullets than to buy all the dies, press, and materials needed to make jacketed bullets. If post-apocalytic mayhem lasts so long that I burn through thousands of rounds in my semi-autos, I guess I can switch to a bolt gun for the long haul and use cast bullets. There will be no shortage of lead. Think of all the car batteries that will be avaialble when the oil dries up!

great idea. Also a good reason to have some 19th century rifle technology around that will shoot with black powder. So long as you keep your brass, you'll still be shooting (with lead from batteries and tire weights, and black powder from various assorted poo, charcoal, and whatever sulfur can be found). I know the sharps shoots black powder cartridges, isnt there a lever action black powder cartridge repeater?

I have already looked into car batteries as a source of the ballistic metal.

Be advised it is a very contaminated alloy and highly toxic when processing.

Post your facts contrary to mine first.

And ... Why? Why your post like that now? What is your agenda?

COINTELPRO internet distruption manual:

1. Be a troll
    2. Derail the thread.

Chances are you will play the victim now. Surely the instructions you are given will be to start a pissing match. So I will pursue this no further and put you on ignore.

Tell your handlers they will lose and someday they will be on trial when the Bill of Rights is enforced....

Wow. who is the conspiracy theorist now??? Damn. could you be more of a little girl crying to mommy? the day i am a .gov spy is the day you are a credible source for anything but bull$#@! conspiracy theory. i cannot express how F&*%#@ing stupid your post is.

seriously. "play the victim?" sure, i'll play victim. victim to your stupidity. ouch. ouch. your stupidity is hurting me. i am a victim.

i would tell my "handlers" they will lose... only... they already lost... by not existing.

why don't you tell your handlers they will lose. since reading the New York Times, and masturbating to pics of Obama DEFINITELY count as losing.

i mean... really. you accuse me!?!?! are you 5 years old or just retarded?

Oh, and "Doktor..."

by ignoring me, you do realize you copy the tactics of your favorite poster kids, the dummy-crats... right? are you aware?

are you that afraid of an actual argument?

you won't address someone with differing views?

okay... i am proud to share my air with you.

Oh, and "Doktor..."

by ignoring me, you do realize you copy the tactics of your favorite poster kids, the dummy-crats... right? are you aware?

Definately a troll. Keep ignoring him Dr. For others who are curious, click on his profile and look at his posting history. The trollishness is apparent.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

All is not lost on rifle bullets, at least for 22 caliber or 5.56 types.

There are special dies out there, pricey, that let you stretch and press a .22LR casing into a bullet jacket, that is then pressed with a lead core that comes in roles (or cast them yourself for a harder round : ) )

I forget who makes them however but considering how many .22 casings are considered junk and left on the ranges, compare that to a price of a 1000 5.56 bullets. Cheap cheap cheap.

Cast rifle bullets can be used on a bolt-gun that uses no gas porting system however the lead must be considerably harder than for pistol rounds. The "science" of how hard as usual is just as much an art as is for pistol rounds. Whereas I find that you can get away with using solder and wheel weights for pistol rounds, rifle rounds require a higher level of tin and antimony not only to cut down on fouling but the rate of spin and speed of travel can cause a rifle bullet to disintegrate if not hard enough.
    The dies for swaging 22 cases into bullet jackets are made and sold by Corbin Precision. They also make dies and other parts to swage other bullets and make the cores to fill the jackets.

Lead can be made harder by mixing in tin and antimony when casting bullets. For rifles you want it as hard as linotype which was used by many places that did printing and can be bought from them cheaply as most printing it not done with linotype anymore and they need someone to take it off their hands as it cannot be just dumped anymore per EPA.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, and "Doktor..."

British indeed.

We kicked your ass before.

Blah blah blah.
    Go home, troll.

But for now, post and troll all you want, while I ignore your no-getting-laid ass.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Yes, along with stocking up on ultra-long shelf-life food, one should seriously stock up on powder and primers.

There should be a warning for smokers.

this is great information.

I USED to shoot my 7mm modded rifle but sold it due to the rising costs and current costs to shoot that rifle. I am currently in an apartment and do not feel like I have adequate space to reload BUT one day I will have my acres in the hills and am happy to have seen this thread. A great resource for those who have the ability and space to get started on this.

I hope all Americans are not only armed BUT getting stock built up in ammo just in case prices continue going up as well as that serial numbered ammo they are trying to push... Reload away people.
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

bump
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

//
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    this is great information.

I USED to shoot my 7mm modded rifle but sold it due to the rising costs and current costs to shoot that rifle. I am currently in an apartment and do not feel like I have adequate space to reload BUT one day I will have my acres in the hills and am happy to have seen this thread. A great resource for those who have the ability and space to get started on this.

I hope all Americans are not only armed BUT getting stock built up in ammo just in case prices continue going up as well as that serial numbered ammo they are trying to push... Reload away people.

Something is always better than nothing.

There are very small kits out there, handheld rams and such, that can be used to reload.

Nothing close to a progressive, or even a better positioned single stage press. An RCBS single stage, with accessories, would not take up more than an end table.

I once purchased a large white wardrobe cabinet from Home Depot and reinforced the inside, installing benches in there as well. On the right half I had a Dillon RL550B and on the left side an RCBS single stage with a scale as well. All of the other stuff (except the powder) was above on the top shelf. Closed, nobody knew a thing, but I reloaded thousands of rounds in there.

I have not seen those hand-held deprimers and rams in a while. Anyone seen where there could be any? Something to do while waiting for the bus I think....

I think somebody else said this in the PAW preparation thread, but it is certainly a good idea to keep some kind of flintlock black-powder rifle around, since ALL the components for reloading them can be manufactured by you.

If smokeless powder/primers/brass for modern ammunition become unavailable, you certainly can't make them yourself. You could reload for a while or use black powder, but the brass would wear out eventually. So make sure you have a FLINTLOCK gun such as a Kentucky or Pennsylvania Rifle, not a percussion-cap or modern inline muzzleloader, as these require primers.

Black powder can be homemade using this rather disgusting method: http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/foxfire5.html Or you could use match heads, which is similar to black powder I believe.

One can scavenge for flint in the wilderness, as it is a fairly common rock. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4193911AA1JoO8

The lead balls or conical bullets used in muzzleloading rifles can be made from melted-down fishing weights or any other source of lead, since the low chamber pressures and lower velocities generated by black-powder guns do not require the use of hardening additives such as antimony or tin. If you do not require accuracy you can pack whatever will fit down the barrel.

If/when the SHTF, it would be advisable to use your flintlock for hunting so as not to waste any of your cache of metal-cased ammunition. Save it for fighting off human threats, when you need multiple quick shots.
    Last edited by Expatriate; 10-15-2008 at 03:04 AM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    I think somebody else said this in the PAW preparation thread, but it is certainly a good idea to keep some kind of flintlock black-powder rifle around, since all the components for reloading these can be manufactured by YOU.

If smokeless powder/primers for modern ammunition become scarce, you certainly can't make them yourself. So make sure you have a FLINTLOCK gun such as the original Kentucky or Pennsylvania Rifle, not a percussion-cap or modern inline muzzleloader, as these require primers.

Black powder can easily be homemade using this rather disgusting method: http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/foxfire5.html

One can scavenge for flint in the wilderness, as it is a fairly common rock. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4193911AA1JoO8

The lead balls or conical bullets used in muzzleloading rifles can be fabricated from melted-down fishing weights or any other source of lead, since the low chamber pressures and lower velocities generated by black-powder guns do not require the use of hardening additives such as antimony or tin. If you do not require accuracy you can pack whatever will fit down the barrel.

If/when the SHTF, it would be advisable to use your flintlock for hunting so as not to waste any of your cache of metal-cased ammunition. Save it for fighting human adversaries.

The problem with muskets is accuracy, as in they have none. Are there any highly accurate blackpowder muzzleloaders that dont require manufactured components in their use?

lll be living in a studio for a while, but want to reload. Can anyone vouch for the viability of a Lee hand press and die system? I understand I can get everything I need in an 14x14x18 box pretty easily.... I know itll take a minute or so per cartridge, but hey, its better than being unable to make my defense tools go bang in a shtf scenario

i will eventually get into reloading, but not in this house. I need a place with a workshop and a/c. for now i will just build my 4k rounds into 10k and take my chances with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifornia View Post
    The problem with muskets is accuracy, as in they have none. Are there any highly accurate blackpowder muzzleloaders that dont require manufactured components in their use?
    Yep. The Kentucky Rifle is actually quite accurate out to about 500 yards but is more practical to use (with its simple iron sights) within 150-200 yards. Any other rifled flintlocks are usually just about as accurate, but I like the American long-rifle since it was such a great asset to us during the Revolutionary War. Smoothbore muskets were horribly inaccurate even at seventy-five yards, and the British were shocked and demoralized to witness American marksmen picking off their targets (usually officers) with ease at three hundred yards using long-rifles.

You can usually find replicas of the American long-rifle for $100-$200 (used) that work just great. Make sure it is the Flintlock model and not the Percussion-cap variant that came later, as those require caps, which are harder to get than flints.

All the rifles on this page with the word "flint" after them are basically what I am talking about.

To your second question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalifornia View Post
    lll be living in a studio for a while, but want to reload. Can anyone vouch for the viability of a Lee hand press and die system? I understand I can get everything I need in an 14x14x18 box pretty easily.... I know itll take a minute or so per cartridge, but hey, its better than being unable to make my defense tools go bang in a shtf scenario
    Here's a video of some guy using the Lee hand press to reload .44 magnum. Doesn't look too bad, he claims he can do 200 rounds in an hour.
    Last edited by Expatriate; 10-15-2008 at 02:55 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast