Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is going to plant food gardens this year?.

who is going to plant food gardens this year?.

I heard the first sweet song of the Deep Canyon Dipperbird and saw the first Marganza ducks down river. it must be Spring but I am still snowed in.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have started my garden already a couple of my friends want to help. I am glad to have others join me in this endeavor. At first I was going to have a small plot but a friend came over with a tractor and plowed up about half an acre for me so maybe I will have some to sell as well.

I hope to get some tomatoes, eggplants, and bell peppers in this week. (South Central Texas)

Pole beans and squash by next week.

Gotta check the signs...I still plant the way my grandpa taught me...
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

beans, tomatoes and hot peppers here

I want to but never have before does anyone know a good book for beginners and I mean beginners I have always rented and finally bought a house and think with that and what is going on good time to start one but not 1 clue where to begin

I do every year: tomatoes, basil, sage, cucumbers, oregano and some other cool stuff--I'm designing it now!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Organic Gardening is a good magazine.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Organic gardening is great. Such a difference on how the vegetables grow. Ms Doohas you are making me jealous. I start all my plants in my greenhouse. usually about the end of March as they get too leggy if I start them too early. We plant them out in June
    If you have trouble with Tomatoe horn worms you can go out at night with a black light and they show up like ghosts. Thank goodness I don't have them here.
    I always have a happy plan on my flower seeds. Every year I plant different flowers and it is so much fun to see what they will look like. It keeps me alive . Ha!

I used to just grow herbs, tomatoes, salad lettuces and roses. I think I'd like to grow potatoes this year. Ya know, something starchy, that will keep you from starving, kinda thing. That other stuff was relatively frilly and useless, now that I think of it. Any tips on potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I want to but never have before does anyone know a good book for beginners and I mean beginners I have always rented and finally bought a house and think with that and what is going on good time to start one but not 1 clue where to begin
    You might try getting one of the "month by month gardening" books, they have them for different states/regions.

I have really difficult soil here, so I'm using two 3'x3' raised beds for pole beans and a couple of hills of squash, the rest of the stuff I grow, I'll be using two different styles of self watering planters. I like the "tomato success kit" with the cage and extender (and casters for easy moving) from www.gardeners.com for tomatoes - it worked well for me the past two seasons. I also have three "earthboxes" from www.earthbox.com. Those will be eggplants, peppers, and squash this year.

If I manage to get my border done this year (lol, been planning it for two years now ), I will try to grow some okra in amongst the perennials...
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

My grandfather, father, brother, and myself have already tilled for our gardens. I started mine 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    You might try getting one of the "month by month gardening" books, they have them for different states/regions.

I have really difficult soil here, so I'm using two 3'x3' raised beds for pole beans and a couple of hills of squash, the rest of the stuff I grow, I'll be using two different styles of self watering planters. I like the "tomato success kit" with the cage and extender (and casters for easy moving) from www.gardeners.com for tomatoes - it worked well for me the past two seasons. I also have three "earthboxes" from www.earthbox.com. Those will be eggplants, peppers, and squash this year.

If I manage to get my border done this year (lol, been planning it for two years now ), I will try to grow some okra in amongst the perennials...

sounds great I am really a beginner do you have a recommendation on one that does the month to month that you suggested that you think is good.

I don't know where you live but those early red potatoes always does good here.
    I was thinking about raising barley and wheat this year.
    Some lady gave me some rare bean seeds. She said they came from some old guy that shot a wild turkey and found the seeds in it's crop. I planted them and they were the best beans I ever ate. The only thing they come on later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    My grandfather, father, brother, and myself have already tilled for our gardens. I started mine 3 weeks ago.
    So early? What state do you live in?

For one thing start making a compost pit. Put all your grass clippings garbage and anything else in it. Than sprinkle urea all through it until it heats and than keep turning it until it breaks down. It is super for any plant.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've started them indoors already and will transfer outside at the end of march.

I live in the Northeast.....Corn, Salad Greens (primarily Mesculin mix.)...at $5 a lb I'll grow it, Potatoes and Tomatoes....is what i will be growing organically in my backyard this year.......

I am waiting for the snow to GO AWAY.
    I'm over it.
    I can't plant here till the first of June generally.
    I should have seeds in the ground, and make it to the March in Washington on the 21st.
    At least that is the plan.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Haven't planted more than tomatoes in years but have all kinds of veggies started indoors until spring. The biggest problem are the deer in PA. The gardens have to have huge cages to keep them from ruining the whole garden.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiebott View Post
    Haven't planted more than tomatoes in years but have all kinds of veggies started indoors until spring. The biggest problem are the deer in PA. The gardens have to have huge cages to keep them from ruining the whole garden.
    Put a string of hot wire around it. It works!!!
    Also spray an egg solution on your flowers and it will keep the deer away

I put one egg in a quart of water and put it in my Vita mixer but you have to strain it or it will plug up the sprayer. You can buy the hot wire from any hardware store. I use Horse.

You could also harvest some of the deer.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You could also harvest some of the deer.
    Hahaha, that's what I was thinking too. Just gotta watch out for ticks in this neck of the woods.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One very important thing don't spray your vegetables with the egg as it could cause you to get salmonella
    Even if the egg starts smelling awful it works fine on non edibles. I had a Sapsucker ruing my apple trees by poking holes around it to get the sap. I tried detergent, clorox. soda . Nothing worked he just wiped his bill and went back until I sprayed it with strong egg mixture on the tree. That stops him.

I'm just now (tonight) starting an apartment garden. My balcony doesn't get too much light, so it may be difficult, but I'll learn as I go. I've never grown anything before.

Trying bell peppers, spinach, herbs (basil, chives), lettuce, onions, shallots, garlic, beans.

Sure, some say: "need light", but we'll see about that!

I'm starting the seeds in a peat moss starter tray, and will transfer to larger pots and troughs. The shallots and garlic are already shallot and garlic bulbs, so I'm directly planting them tonight.

I think I've convinced the girlfriend to let me start a small veggie garden on her lot... she seems to have something against composting, though.

Any tips are welcome!
    "pledged is as pledged does" -- delegates, that is.

Ron Paul is MY President, no matter what the November election tells me.

I've chosen him as my de jure leader, and as long as he represents the message of freedom, he represents ME

Quote Originally Posted by kyleAF View Post
    Trying bell peppers, spinach, herbs (basil, chives), lettuce, onions, shallots, garlic, beans.
    Be pleasantly extremely surprised if you get bell peppers under those circumstances. I'd be astounded if I did! Good luck!

I hope your lettuce is loose-leaf and not iceberg. Iceberg is actually pretty tricky to grow.

Edible green leaves overall tend to do well in containers, salady things like spinach, mesclun mix, loose lettuce, herbs, etc. So you made some fine choices.

Absolutely THE best book for vegetables. Also, the information on soil in this book is very good and will help you grow flowers and fruit, even though he does not cover them.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The.../9781580172127

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening by Edward C. Smith

Here is THE best book for berries and fruit trees:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fru.../9780882667638

Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden by Lewis Hill

Hey, if your girlfriend gets interested in the garden after a while, you might be able to get a small compost tumbler! I bought one and it works good

Quote Originally Posted by kyleAF View Post
    I'm just now (tonight) starting an apartment garden. My balcony doesn't get too much light, so it may be difficult, but I'll learn as I go. I've never grown anything before.

Sure, some say: "need light", but we'll see about that!

I'm starting the seeds in a peat moss starter tray, and will transfer to larger pots and troughs. The shallots and garlic are already shallot and garlic bulbs, so I'm directly planting them tonight.

I think I've convinced the girlfriend to let me start a small veggie garden on her lot... she seems to have something against composting, though.

Any tips are welcome!
    I have no tips on the girlfriend, but I'm thinking that mirrors or some reflective surface might help maximize the light on the balcony. I have no idea how the light is right now, but think about how to maximize it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast