Thread: Pittsburgh Rally against Real ID

Pittsburgh Rally against Real ID

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34382517909492

Check out the video...
    On March 13th, 2008, The House Intergovernmental Affairs Committee plans public hearings on Real ID in PA.

AFTF, NVCCA, and our local meetup Ron Paul Revolution: Pittsburgh Area Freedom Activists will be sponsoring an anti-Real ID rally and press conference at these hearings. WE THE PEOPLE must show up in huge numbers and make our opposition to Real ID clear.

Please watch this brand new video I have made for more information about Real ID, its status in PA, and this event:

http://video.google.com/v...

Spread this everywhere!

When:
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Where:
    University of Pittsburgh- William Pitt Union Ballroom
    3959 5th Avenue
    Pittsburgh , PA 15213 (Oakland)
    Last edited by DirtMcGirt; 03-08-2008 at 05:06 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Question How did it go?

I think there's a lot of people wondering what happened at this rally?

What can we learn from it, and how should we organize more protests?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter-08 View Post
    I think there's a lot of people wondering what happened at this rally?

What can we learn from it, and how should we organize more protests?
    Read this thread:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=128542

I got almost three hours of footage from this event, which I am in the process of transferring and editing. There is a link to a short preview in that thread. The full video should be finished later this week.

basically...

you want to know how it went?

It was sad. Very sad. Totally honest here, i was pretty much shaking my head every time someone spoke.

You know its bad when 2 8th graders are the only people in the crowd who can STAY ON TOPIC and actually DISCUSS EXCELLENT POINTS about the realID. Everyeone else, even the few that started off with great points, went down the spiral talking about crap that had nothing to do with why the rally was being held.

Its no wonder nobody incharge listens to what the people have to say.

On that note, it was also a stacked deck in favor of the real ID and i would be money that the whole thing was just a dog and pony show.

I walked away feeling that the realID is a breath away from happening in PA.

Apathy, Ignorance, and Stupidity. That is what is letting this thing happen.

Thank you for candid the follow-up.

Here is another example of government incompetence with regard to personal information.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_558175.html

State disables voter registration Web site
    By Mike Wereschagin
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, March 20, 2008

A design flaw in a state voter registration Web site left vulnerable the private information of people who used the site, a Pennsylvania State Department official said Wednesday.
    Workers disabled the site Tuesday night after learning of the problem, which exposed driver's license numbers or last four digits of Social Security numbers belonging to people who had filled out a voter registration form online. The problem arose just days before the March 24 deadline to register to vote in next month's primary.

"As soon as we saw there was an issue, we took the page down," said department spokeswoman Leslie Amoros.

The Web site has been available for two years, Amoros said. State workers were trying last night to determine whose private information was viewed so they could notify those voters, and were working to fix the site's problems so they could get it online again, Amoros said.

A computer programmer who discovered the problem said it could have exposed the private information of tens of thousands of voters.
    Most voter registration information is public. A voter's name, birthday, residence and political party can be obtained at county bureaus of elections. A driver's license number or partial Social Security number is required to register but that information is supposed to remain secret.

"It's very thoughtless and sloppy that this situation would occur," said Kim Alexander, founder and president of the Sacramento-based California Voter Foundation, which researches voting technology and privacy issues.

The state site allowed voters to fill out a registration form online, which they could then print, sign and mail to their county's elections bureau. Until the problem is fixed, Amoros said, voters can go to votespa.com, print an application, fill it in by hand and mail it.

The computer programmer who exposed the problem used the site to register, then found a security loophole and posted it on digg.com. The programmer, known only as mtg169, said in the posting that by changing a number in the Web address of the completed form, other people's completed registration applications would be displayed.

Credit card companies and other financial institutions rarely ask for driver's license numbers and usually require full Social Security numbers, not just the last four digits. So the compromised information on the state's Web site might not have been enough for thieves to use, said David Sumner, a deputy state attorney general in his office's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

"We're still concerned," he said. "Any time you have a Social Security number or a driver's license number (exposed), there's a risk of identity theft."

Mike Wereschagin can be reached at mwereschagin@tribweb.com or 412-320-7900.