Thread: Ron Paul's claim as one of CQ's "50 most effective" legislators

Ron Paul's claim as one of CQ's "50 most effective" legislators

Peden busts Paul’s false ad claims
    by LST Staff | 02/26/2008 6:00 am | Alert moderator

LoneStarTimes.com has learned that attorneys for District 14 congressional challenger Chris Peden have begun to contact a wide-range of media outlets, insisting that they either cease airing or refuse to accept advertisements by Ron Paul containing false claims that he’s been named “One of the 50 Most Effective Members of Congress by Congressional Quarterly”.

The citation of the CQ article is ubiquitous by Paul, appearing on his website and repeatedly referenced in his broadcast spots.

http://lonestartimes.com/2008/02/26/rpcq1/

What do the posters on this board think about this story? Poking around on Google, it seems that Peden's claim is very likely true. Doesn't do much to change my opinion on Ron Paul as a whole, but I'm not used to him being associated with political deception.
    Last edited by ronpaulhawaii; 03-03-2008 at 08:19 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who is Chris Peden?
    "Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out."- Andrew Jackson (The Guy on the 20)

www.micahnelson.com

Quote Originally Posted by micahnelson View Post
    Who is Chris Peden?
    RPs congressional opponent.

I poked around in google and really couldn't find any evidence either way. Sounds like the pathetic whining of a losing candidate.

Yeah, he has one $#@!ing day to get it done. lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by micahnelson View Post
    Who is Chris Peden?
    Exactly.
    Ron Paul delivers babies without his hands. He simply reads them the Bill of Rights and they crawl out in anticipation of freedom.

anyone else noticed the names of some of the people using that same title.....people like Robert Wexler......Sheila Jackson Lee......just to name two

Quote Originally Posted by RP4EVER View Post
    anyone else noticed the names of some of the people using that same title.....people like Robert Wexler......Sheila Jackson Lee......just to name two
    Yeah I noticed that too. Doesn't mean any of it is true though. It's possible that it's an accepted misrepresentation among congresspeople.

The article in question explicitly states:

“There is no attempt here to identify the 50 most effective–or for that matter, the most important or most influential–members of Congress.”

Looks like it is a lie. Maybe they told RP over the phone it was for the "50 most effective," like he claims in the press release from 1999.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I poked around on google and the wayback machine and found numerous refererences to the truth of RP being selected in the top 50, (this was in 98 or 99.)

I have been electioneering at early voting places all week and the Peed-on people were there spreading their lies and distortions. When I called them on some you shoulda seen em backpedeling and throwing out red-herrings. Frigging liars posing as christians acting like sheep being used by their corporate masters... sad
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

No, that's not what's at issue. Ron Paul was on their 50-person list in 1999. The thing is that the list wasn't about effectiveness. I believe it's titled "50 Ways to do the Job of Congress." As I noted above, it specifically says in the article it's not a list of the most "effective" congressmen.

Peden is scum, but I think he may be right on this one.

Edit: Well, ronpaulhawaii has accused me in a private message of "spreading lies disguised as honest questions" because he'd "hate to see me burn in hell." I guess this is his subtle way of stifling dissent.

Those willing to discuss this openly however, might be interested in the following image:

http://lonestartimes.com/images/2008/02/50-most.JPG

I've never seen Ron Paul lie about anything that I was aware of. That's why I don't want to believe something like this is true, and so I've initiated honest discussion on the topic. Just remember-- if you choose to ignore something that is directly in front of your eyes, that makes you no better than those who ignore the sins of the establishment.
    Last edited by vitaminb12; 03-04-2008 at 08:56 AM.

After reading that portion of the article in question, is would appear that RP's claims are a clear distortion of the scope and content of the article. While he's certainly not the first politician to take some liberties with the context of a citation, it is rather disappointing to see.

Even if he was falsely told by CQ that that was the gist of the story they were intending to run [as was suggested].... the fact that his campaign is STILL using the citation inappropriately some 9 years later is troubling.

I guess it just goes to show that there truly is no honesty in politics.