Thread: Grassroots Activity: General Strike!

Grassroots Activity: General Strike!

GHemminger has the great idea of borrowing from Atlas Shrugged and actually attempting to organize a general strike in the United States in order to show the bureaucrats and Congress who is boss.

This was pulled off in Venezuela, but the people lifted it a week too early. This needs to be sustained until congressmen and even UN boobs are beseeching us to stop.

The could even be extended to Mexico with little difficulty, as those who independently help create wealth in one way or the other are extremely frustrated with the overbearing regulations and corruption.

GeneralStrike.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so how are you helping our cause again?
    For good times, IM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate K View Post
    so how are you helping our cause again?
    We all know that with the Patriot Act and other legislation infringing upon our liberties, it is a matter of time before we end up with a Hugo Chavez in power in the United States.

Planning one and getting enough people on it would help send a powerful message.

Imagine if half of the doctors just quit working.... Then a third of computer programmers... half of the power plant employees...

This will damage our country, possibly beyond repair for many, many years. This falls under counter economics.

if we can't get more than 8 or 10% in a primary how are we going to get enough people to make this worth while?

say every ron paul supporter out there participates. that's 10% of the workforce if you're lucky. isn't unemployment at 5% or so? we all get fired, those with out jobs get ours, and then we're in no position to influence anyone... not to mention put food on the table.

despite everything that happens here with corrupt media, politicians, etc... this is still the United States. if you can organize enough people to strike to have an impact you can organize enough people to vote anyone into office you want and take over the government. i'd rather go that route.
    "We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish Justice, ensure Domestic Tranquility, provide for the Common Defense, promote the General Welfare, and Secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Liberty - Feel free to contact me - Let's start getting things in place to see if we can get some traction.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    This will damage our country, possibly beyond repair for many, many years. This falls under counter economics.
    Not really. It would $#@! the rest of the world over more than it would us. Such a strike would only have to occur for a couple of weeks until Congress starts to recognize the sovereignty of the states and the individuals.

Plus you want to talk about international bankers taking a hit in the wallet? LOL

But tell me, how would this permanently damage our economy? Imagine the flash of economic activity once many economic restrictions and taxes are lifted as a result of such a strike.

I can appreciate the objective, but I don't agree with the method. It's better to take our time and infiltrate the power centers little by little and then we can tell the powers that be who's boss.
    If you want less oppressive government, quit trying to expand it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    well i won't have a problem with a general strike seeings how I am among the recently unemployed =D

Seriously though, I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged and a General Strike will not have the same effect.

In Atlas Shrugged it was the innovators and hard core movers and shakers that leveraged an already ailing economy that was forced on the country by the anti-materialists (Evil Liars). The Movers turned the tables and in the end, they ended up in "Fantasy Ranch" while the rest of the world collapsed. They waited for the collapse to occur so that they could reemerge and rebuild the world with the power of their minds.

A general strike here wouldn't work because the Evil Liars WANT to collapse the economy. They are already forcing us out of our jobs by bringing in foreigners and paying for their education and then sending them back to their native countries with OUR jobs. My job is now being done by someone in Manilla for probably 1/3 the cost now. Makes sense on a global scale, but once those countries nationalize the corps, then those execs will come limping home to a 3rd world country.

Atlas Shrugged is a great book that "predicts" the atmosphere that we are in more than it predicts an actual course of what may happen.

Maybe we can tie this to the $4 gas prices comming - this country will be mobilized very soon - the breaking point is comming we need to be the catylyst

Is this a sarcastic thread?

I got the impression that it was.
    For good times, IM me.

Quote Originally Posted by libertythor View Post
    But tell me, how would this permanently damage our economy? Imagine the flash of economic activity once many economic restrictions and taxes are lifted as a result of such a strike.
    I don't believe politicians would respond the way we want, nor within a timely manner. I'd imagine they'd see this as "un-patriotic". The majority of the nation are sheep. We'd need a long-term (8-16 years) economic BOYCOTT to get what we want. A boycott would include the refusal to pay tax and participation only in "under the table" bartering. Even then, we'd need at least 200k people to participate fully in it for any effect.

Within 15 days, military salaries would need to be covered.....discontent would spread to the military.

I am not saying to do it now, but within 2 years things will get to the point to where more people will be angry and ready to do something about it.

We really only need about 15-20% of the workforce to participate. The more doctors and firefighters, the merrier.

Is this a sarcastic thread?

I got the impression that it was.
    Actually, its a solid idea. The time for it isn't right now, but its coming around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    I don't believe politicians would respond the way we want, nor within a timely manner. I'd imagine they'd see this as "un-patriotic". The majority of the nation are sheep. We'd need a long-term (8-16 years) economic BOYCOTT to get what we want. A boycott would include the refusal to pay tax and participation only in "under the table" bartering. Even then, we'd need at least 200k people to participate fully in it for any effect.

This might be doable - Maybe we can first focus on the unemployed - they are pretty much there.....

5% equals 15 million individual workers possibly 30-40 million when you consider thier families

Quote Originally Posted by ghemminger View Post
    This might be doable - Maybe we can first focus on the unemployed - they are pretty much there.....

5% equals 15 million individual workers possibly 30-40 million when you consider thier families
    Those could help blockade all of the major interstate highways, shutting down truck transportation and paralyzing the flow of goods is vital to making this work.

BTW, That wouldn't be a good time to remain in New York City. LOL

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, its a solid idea. The time for it isn't right now, but its coming around the corner.
    Ok, i thought this thread was another attack on ghemminger.

While I'm not 100% sure it would work, I do think it's a good idea and would be willing to help you on it.
    For good times, IM me.

you're going to get the unemployed to go on a general strike? huh?

Ok, i thought you this thread was another attack on ghemminger.

While I'm not 100% sure it would work, I do think it's a good idea and would be willing to help you on it.
    It was inspired by ghemminger. Its not an attack on him. I thought it was a great idea.

This is something to put into motion lets say....upon ending up in a war in Pakistan....etc. At that point, there would be enough discontent in the United States to pull it off, and the economy would already be on the downturn, so what would there be to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by StilesBC View Post
    you're going to get the unemployed to go on a general strike? huh?
    I only said that they could participate in it also, and I gave the idea of many of them blocking highways and impeding the movement of goods.

Working people would have to participate as well.

It was inspired by ghemminger. Its not an attack on him. I thought it was a great idea.

This is something to put into motion lets say....upon ending up in a war in Pakistan....etc. At that point, there would be enough discontent in the United States to pull it off, and the economy would already be on the downturn, so what would there be to lose?
    Did you register the site?

What we should do is pick a method of communication like AIM to get together and discuss. Fast communication is key to getting stuff done. My sn is CelGos.
    For good times, IM me.

Did you register the site?

What we should do is pick a method of communication like AIM to get together and discuss. Fast communication is key to getting stuff done. My sn is CelGos.
    I will be able to Monday....that is when I get paid. Yes! Or we could even have a pvt. IRC channel as well for conferences.

CitizenPlain

Boycott !, not strike.

Last edited by CitizenPlain; 05-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.

I will be able to Monday....that is when I get paid. Yes! Or we could even have a pvt. IRC channel as well for conferences.
    That sounds like an awesome idea. I've been searching for people who really want to get things going and you folks seem to fit the bill
    For good times, IM me.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Citgo would be a start. lol It would be a non-interventionist way of not supporting Hugo Chavez.

Yes, this could begin with an entire industry. The IT industry would probably be the best as a protest against internet regulation. Most there are already individualistic enough to put such a plan in motion. LOL The crashing of most of the nation's servers.

The Coast Guard would be SOL without the engineers at Perot Systems.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenPlain View Post
    A boycott of a selected product or company that

is a prime example or symbol of what is mainly

wrong with our nation would send the loudest

message.

What if everyone moved from a certain bank

or insurance company? Stopped buying from

a specific drug company? Gasoline brand? etc.

That would get "their" attention.

why don't you all just take a look at www.pledgetoimpeach.org, where a stop work, boycott is a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by thuja View Post
    why don't you all just take a look at www.pledgetoimpeach.org, where a stop work, boycott is a plan.
    \bump

[snip]The IT industry would probably be the best as a protest against internet regulation.

The Coast Guard would be SOL without the engineers at Perot Systems.[/snip]
    this would be the closest thing to the Atlas Shrugged theory. Do we have any John Galts around?

Who is John Galt?