Thread: Orlando Ron Paul Patriots With A BIG Heart

Orlando Ron Paul Patriots With A BIG Heart

If you remember the story I related last week about meeting Lorin Jones at the Orange County Republican Executive Committee, please continue reading. If not jump down and reread the email that I reprinted. Then read what happened tonight.

Tonight 6 of us went into one of Orlando's poorest neighborhoods and helped Lorin stuff backpacks with school materials. We then handed out the backpacks to black kids, who eagerly lined up to receive them. To say these kids had nothing is an understatement.

We were the only white people in a sea of black faces. I loved it. We prattle on about free market will take care of everything. Yeah, and talk is cheap. Backpacks aren't. We were warmly received and I will not soon forget the experience.

Did we sign up any Republican voters? No, but when I was introduced to the 150 people crammed into a funeral home auditorium, I said my name and that I was from the Ron Paul campaign. Quiet applause followed. But being able to see smiling faces happy to receive school supplies was a moment to remember.

One RP member mumbled 'Wish we had more backpacks.' We rushed to the nearby Dollar General store for more. Ron Paul Volunteers do stuff like that. It was heartbreaking to finally have to turn away single mothers with three or four kids in tow. "Sorry, we ran out."

Afterwards, we gathered in the parking lot to enjoy grilled hot dogs. One little girl came up to me and said, "Mister, can you help me get a hot dog?"

I don't think I've ever felt more proud to wear a Ron Paul tee-shirt.

Nick Egoroff

Last week 8 of us Ron Paul Patriots went to the Orange County Republican Executive Committee meeting. We met lots of interesting people. One of them was a black guy that we ended up having a long conversation with out in the parking lot.

Casually dressed, we seemed to hit it off well. Most Blacks are stereotyped as Democrats. Not this guy. He thinks for himself. And since he thinks for himself he also initiates. Seems for the last 10 years he has been distributing backpacks to underprivileged kids that, in his words, "Come from the projects."

Our own Gabrielle is immediately interested in this charity work. He explains that it is coming close to the day when he gives the backpacks away. School starts in the third week of August. But he needs help bundling all the crayons, pencils, and paper together. She says, "We'll put it on the calendar and see if we can't get other RP volunteers to help. Drew and I definitely will be there."

I'm really intrigued with this guy. I ask if I can have lunch or dinner with him soon. I give him a business card. Yesterday he called me. We had dinner just a little while ago.

He doesn't get RP's stance on Iraq. He explains that according to his religious beliefs, he can't just walk away from the Middle East and Israel. We go back and forth on this. But he makes some interesting comments. "Listen Patty Sheehan goes all over the country protesting the deaths of Americans in Iraq. There are more black men killed last year in the US than ever died in Iraq. How come she doesn't come to Orlando and lead a protest against this?" I gently try to explain the RP stance would be surprisingly like his. Let's try and solve our own problems before we try to force someone else to change theirs.

I also share that I know two families devastated by the loss of their sons in Iraq. And that I have a friend serving there right now. I want him out now. He says, "Yeah, I've got a nephew there. He tells me 'Uncle Lorin, I think I'm safer here than back in the streets of Orlando." Hmm, man's got a point.

I'm really enjoying getting to know this guy. We talk more about the role of small government vs. big government. Lots of things we agree on. Some we don't. I give him one of Paul B.'s mini-cd-r's.

I'm pumping him for all the information I can on how to reach Blacks that traditionally vote Democratic. We discuss maybe having a social occasion for someone to come into the community and talk. "We could maybe supply the coffee and donuts and then if we like what we hear maybe you could put a yard sign up." Yeah, a blue Ron Paul For President--Hope For America in a Pine Hills neighborhood.

I finally want to explore the backpack program. It seems that this has just grown to be one of his passions that he really believes in. I ask him about government grants. Nope. City ever get involved. Nope. Church, wealthy benefactor, etc. Nope. "God just provides." I again talk about how this is how charity is really supposed to work. Seems that he just goes around, watches for big sales on school supplies and then stacks them up in his home. This is a year long process that culminates shortly.

Since he doesn't look well to do (clean tee-shirt, shorts, and typical car) I got to ask, "Where do you get the money?" Well, the Orange County Republican Party chips in $250. He mentions the name of another man that I happen to know slightly. "He gave $250 too." That's it. $500 to outfit 350 kids with backpacks filled with school supplies.

"Have you alerted the media or asked for help?" Nah, that would just complicate things. Besides, whenever the media interviews a black man that is a Republican they just ask a lot of stupid questions."
    He relates another story that kind of tells you what kind of guy he is. Going to college out in California he decided that he wanted to pay his respects when Nixon died. "Reporter sticks a microphone in my face and asks 'why are you here to pay your respects to Nixon when he never did much for Blacks?" I'm wondering what I would say if I was in his shoes. But he said he just told the reporter, "I'm an American and I'm just paying my respects to a president. But tell me something, Nixon didn't seem to like reporters too much either. How come you're here?" This is one cool cat!

Anyway back to the backpacks. And I'm sorry for this long post. But I want us to put our money where our mouth's are. How about it Ron Paulista's. We have 142 people in our group. If everyone gave just $5 we could really make a statement about our principles. This would be incredible.

But I think that we can really do something big. After getting his permission, I'm going to contact the reporter that did such a great story on our fight with the city over the 4th of July. We are going to have a MEGA Turnout of RP supporters to help stuff and distribute these backpacks. We're going to not just talk the free market talk, we're going to walk it. That's right. Ron Paul Patriots will next be spotted not just on busy street corners, but marching to the sound of a different drummer (Will are you up to bringing your drums??).

August 15th at 7pm will be a day that we will all remember. I want everyone there. No more excuses. If you really believe in Ron Paul's message, this is your chance to live it. Details to follow shortly.

I told Lorin that I can't promise anything. What I didn't tell him was THAT WE HAVE THE MOST AWESOME BUNCH OF VOLUNTEERS THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN. By this time tomorrow I think we can have $500 committed to this worthy cause. Then step two will be getting at least 76 people to RSVP to this event.

And one more thing.

Hope for America is EXACTLY what we are doing! Hit the reply to this message and tell if you can contribute.

Nick Egoroff
    Orlando Ron Paul 2008 Organizer
    www.ronpaul2008.com/
    www.ronpaul.meetup.com/184
    (407)381-2744
    Nick Egoroff
    Orlando Ron Paul Meetup Organizer
    http://ronpaul.meetup.com/184/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's August 15th and past 7pm. lol. I'd like to hear more. Great job with this.
    I'm DjLoTi =) Liveontheisland =) I live on an island =) It's my island =)

Thumbs up

Great story, Nick.

Mr. Jones sounds like an inspirational fellow.