Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ron Paul of Roman Times

The Ron Paul of Roman Times

A friend of mine just sent me the following quote:

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.” – Cicero, 55 B.C.

We've seen what happened when Rome didn't listen . . .

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter8008 View Post
    A friend of mine just sent me the following quote:

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.” – Cicero, 55 B.C.

We've seen what happened when Rome didn't listen . . .
    interesting.. me think ill be looking up more of cicero.

Thumbs up

apt quote... ron paul is definately ciceroian!

Cicero's philosophic ideas heavily influenced the Founding Fathers and are present in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.
    My Awesome Blog | Digg My Articles | Emergency Preparedness Discussion Forum

"You're working for the most honest man in Congress." - John McCain to Kent Snyder, 1988 [verified by personally asking Kent Snyder]

Wow, talk about writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post
    Wow, talk about writing on the wall.
    Yeah, no doubt!

Last edited by qh4dotcom; 10-26-2008 at 12:54 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cicero for real change:

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.

...can't resist posting a more recent favorite quote of mine - the author is unknown:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with a result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship. The average age of the world s greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence:

>From bondage to spiritual faith;
    >>From spiritual faith to great courage;
    >>>From courage to liberty;
    >>>>From liberty to abundance;
    >>>>>From abundance to selfishness;
    >>>>>>From selfishness to complacency;
    >>>>>>>From complacency to apathy;
    >>>>>>>>From apathy to dependency;
    >>>>>>>>>From dependency back into bondage.

-- The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic Alexander Fraser Tyler (1748 - 1813)

However, somehow Rome managed to last another 500 years, albeit implementing the EMPEROR system.

Quote Originally Posted by wgadget View Post
    However, somehow Rome managed to last another 500 years, albeit implementing the EMPEROR system.

True, 200 is the average. Rome was a long term runner (along with ancient Egyptian ruiners with their pyramid schemes, Bible bans, soccer mummies, etc.).

America might go on for a thousand years, but I doubt it. The "changes" required to survive with all the existing lies and promises in tact will be HUGE and most will have to be accomplished by 2025 e.g., social security and medicare, not to mention the unrelenting growth of garden variety gubermint.

BTW, war usually comes along with that dictatorship "change" package deal.

Hard to believe we are really suffering the EXACT same societal problems civilizations faced thousands of years ago.

When I read any modern college textbook and they talk about the "new" society, the new economy, ect ect. It's all just propaganda because nothing is new.

Gov and economics don't change, and you can't escape repeating history unless you really understand it. Which 90% of us don't. The 10% that do are scared $#@!less =)

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Hard to believe we are really suffering the EXACT same societal problems civilizations faced thousands of years ago.
    I agree. It's so obvious that you can't help but wonder how much if what's going on is pure ignorance and how much is on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    brainyquote is pretty cool but I really don't like sites that give quotes with out sources.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    I really don't like sites that give quotes with out sources.
    Probably because there is no source (wrongly attributed).

brainyquote is pretty cool but I really don't like sites that give quotes with out sources.
    Pick the quote site you like.

Quote Originally Posted by lasenorita View Post
    Probably because there is no source (wrongly attributed).
    yes, I'm very weary of quotes without cited sources since I ran across this website of quotes supposedly attributed to Jefferson a couple of months ago.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

We see this one fairly frequently. We are not sure where it originated, although some speculate that Howard Zinn introduced it as recently as 2002 (see http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/146858.htm). As evidence that Jefferson probably would not have expressed such a sentiment, we offer the following (genuine) quote:

"Political dissension is doubtless a less evil than the lethargy of despotism: but still it is a great evil, and it would be as worthy the efforts of the patriot as of the philosopher, to exclude it's influence if possible, from social life. The good are rare enough at best. There is no reason to subdivide them by artificial lines. But whether we shall ever be able so far to perfect the principles of society as that political opinions shall, in it's intercourse, be as inoffensive as those of philosophy, mechanics, or any other, may well be doubted." TJ to Thomas Pinckney, 29 May 1797

yes, I'm very weary of quotes without cited sources since I ran across this website of quotes supposedly attributed to Jefferson a couple of months ago.
    http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    interesting.. me think ill be looking up more of cicero.
    I posted a ton of cicero quotes to a thread, I will see if I can find and cut and paste

Thanks!!!
    You're welcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by original_intent
    While I was looking, I found a few Cicero quotes that fits our current predicament.

According to the law of nature it is only fair that no one should become richer through damages and injuries suffered by another.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.

Cannot people realize how large an income is thrift?

Fear is not a lasting teacher of duty.

He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason.

I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.

In time of war the laws are silent.

Let us not listen to those who think we ought to be angry with our enemies, and who believe this to be great and manly. Nothing is so praiseworthy, nothing so clearly shows a great and noble soul, as clemency and readiness to forgive.

More law, less justice.

Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system.

Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak.

The budget should be balanced. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered, and assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.

Is that the one you were thinking of?

The good of the people is the greatest law.

The sinews of war are infinite money.

Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation. For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just.

What an ugly beast the ape, and how like us. (one for the Darwinists)
    This.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    another quote form the same person:

"To disregard what the world thinks of us is not only arrogant but utterly shameless."

great quote. been my sig for the past month or so
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt, the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 BC-43 BC

I am really feeling this one:

Let us not listen to those who think we ought to be angry with our enemies, and who believe this to be great and manly. Nothing is so praiseworthy, nothing so clearly shows a great and noble soul, as clemency and readiness to forgive.
    "If a life could have a theme song -- and I believe every worthwhile one has -- mine is a religion, an obsession or a mania, or all of these expressed in one word: individualism. I was born with that obsession and have never seen and do not know now a cause more worthy, more misunderstood, more seemingly hopeless, and more tragically needed." -Ayn Rand

kind of sums it all up in one quote.....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Lost,
    In a sea of uncertainty,
    Bombarded with disinformation and lies,
    Enduring relentless manipulation,
    Received digitally, right out of the skies,
    Trust not in a Glorious Leader, promising magical "change",
    You must reduce, not expand our government; piling on more is insane.

Thomas Jefferson: "If the American people ever allow bankers to control the issuance of currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, corporations growing up around them will deprive people of all their prosperity until their children wake up homeless on the land that their fathers have gained for them."

George Washington: Government is not reason, it is not eloquence. It is force, and like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Study and learn from world history; Ron Paul is the most recent leader to show us the path to take if we want to Freedom, Peace and Prosperity.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 10-28-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: thanks TW - sequence is corrected - $ is result of 1&2

"Freedom, Peace and Prosperity" -- Ron Paul

( The sequence is significant.<IMHO> )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast