Thread: Media will ignore the march just like they did in Minnesota

Media will ignore the march just like they did in Minnesota

In 1998, Jason Lewis (the talk show host who subs for Rush Limbaugh occasionally) helped organize a series of tax cut rallies on the capitol steps. The first one, in early April, had several thousand people attend. The media was well aware of it, but they didn't even show up. It was barely mentioned in the newspapers, not at all on TV. Some radio stations may have mentioned it. A few weeks later, a bigger rally was held. Jesse Ventura who went on to win the governor election was there. The news did show up, but they still barely mentioned it.

Contrast that with the many cases when a few dozen pro-welfare protesters show up on the capitol steps. The media carefully frames the photos so it looks like many people show up and then put them prominently on the front page or page 2.

The freedom march on Washington will be a big flop, even if millions of people show up. The mainstream media decides what people see and hear about. A one time event is easy to ignore. So what if lots of people show up? The Establishment media will ignore it.

One year ago, Jason Lewis helped organize and publicize another tax cut rally on the capitol steps on Saturday April 14. They got a permit months in advance from the officials. Then, 2 weeks before the event, envirnomentalists also got a permit, but on the mall, to celebrate "Earth Day", which was actually a week later on April 21.

Once again the media twisted the event. They said thousands of people attended the dual rally, but didn't bother telling people that thousands were protesting for lower taxes, but maybe 200 attended the earth day activities. Here are the pictures to prove it:

These are the tax protesters on the capitol steps. There were 3000 to 5000 people attending.

Notice the white tents in the background the environmentalists put up on the mall for their "Earth Day" event one week early.

Here is the envinomentalist protest where a band played all afternoon. Nobody seemed to care. Only a couple hundred people attended the Earth Day rally as you can see. Had to be discouraging for them, but the media claimed thousands attended, without explaining the thousands were on the capital steps. The dozens were on the mall celebrating Earth Day a week early.

As you can see, the media will twist anything around in their favor. If millions of us march on Washington, they can ignore it, trivialize it, or twist it somehow in their favor by saying anti-war protesters marched on Washington without mentioning it is pro-freedom, small government people who are marching. The liberals will join the march, and our message will be ignored.

The march will be a big waste of time for us!

It would be much better if Ron were to run as a third party candidate, and keep his supporters busy and motivated by getting the message out locally. But that isn't going to happen now, and the whole Ron Paul revolution is fizzling out.
    Last edited by MN Patriot; 02-22-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We're just going to have to do the reporting ourselves then. Bring your cameras.

and your laptops
    I just saved a bunch of freedom by switching to PAULCO

Uh huh. I've been making this point on deaf ears. The problem is the media and the media isn't going to change. The ONLY way around this is to have as many people as possible and quit whining and bellyaching about who we don't want there and/or what signs we don't want. We will either be ignored or attacked no matter what happens. If we get attacked at least the message that we're still here and a force to be reckoned with gets out. If we get ignored than it doesn't matter how many cameras and laptops we bring to report the fact that we got ignored.

Regards,

John M. Drake
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Yes many of us realize what the media will (or will not) be doing. We're going to have to report ourselves.
    Strength through Knowledge

"What's one more body in the foundations of your Utopia?"
    - This has been a message by Agent CSL.

jndrake... you missed a point, and I think part of the mark.

I think the media WOULD report on it... but they would shape it to appear as something otherwise.

If we had a million people -- they would carefully frame it to look like a few thousand. If 999,999 of the attendees were completely peaceful, they would find (or plant) the ONE guy causing problems and shoot video of him engaging in violence or violent threats or _________.

Then they could easily shape it as an "angry mod" with designs of "domestic terrorism" and show only certain aspects of FEMA rounding up attendees to be hauled off to camps.

Seriously, the American people might or might not sit for a million people being locked up in concentration camps -- but the media would make certain they were NEVER AWARE of that fact, and instead to offer "proof" to the general public that it was only a few thousand "crazies" -- and that they were being treated nicely. (After all, isn't Guantanamo being characterized as almost a "resort prison"???)

They CAN and WILL spin this however they want. And while it would be perfectly in character for them to ignore the whole thing -- it might be more "fun" for them to show it and spin it.

A "march" as an attempt to get "media coverage" is therefore a TRULY idiotic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WRellim View Post
    jndrake... you missed a point, and I think part of the mark.

I think the media WOULD report on it... but they would shape it to appear as something otherwise.
    Did I miss the point? The thread title is:

Media will ignore the march just like they did in Minnesota

You're quibbling about HOW the media will ignore the march. Frankly I think that's not important. They can misattribute the numbers to something else as they did in Minnesota or they can totally ignore the march altogether. Here in Nashville when we had a rally the Tennessean gave the sign waving pre work we did on Friday front page coverage in the Saturday edition. That was about 20 people. But in the all important Sunday edition they completely ignored the 1,500 people that actually came to the rally on Saturday! Even after they privately admitted their "mistake" they never printed a correction. Oh they put a video of the rally up on their website (which wasn't even on the home page) but for people who JUST got their news from the paper edition the rally never happened. End the end the media will find SOME way to ignore, misattribute, spin or attack the march. The best we can hope for is spin or attack. We won't get a fair airing of the message no matter what happens. I'm just being real.

If we had a million people -- they would carefully frame it to look like a few thousand. If 999,999 of the attendees were completely peaceful, they would find (or plant) the ONE guy causing problems and shoot video of him engaging in violence or violent threats or _________.
    Yep. Even if they have to pay some homeless guy $50 to carry a fill-in-the-blank sign.

Then they could easily shape it as an "angry mod" with designs of "domestic terrorism" and show only certain aspects of FEMA rounding up attendees to be hauled off to camps.
    Right. Another form of media attack.

Seriously, the American people might or might not sit for a million people being locked up in concentration camps -- but the media would make certain they were NEVER AWARE of that fact, and instead to offer "proof" to the general public that it was only a few thousand "crazies" -- and that they were being treated nicely. (After all, isn't Guantanamo being characterized as almost a "resort prison"???)

They CAN and WILL spin this however they want. And while it would be perfectly in character for them to ignore the whole thing -- it might be more "fun" for them to show it and spin it.

A "march" as an attempt to get "media coverage" is therefore a TRULY idiotic idea.
    Ok. I'm trying to figure out how I missed the point since you basically made the same points. This march will either ignored or attacked or "spun" in some fashion as to dilute whatever message may be coming from it. As for whether or not the march is a good idea.....? Frankly I don't know. It's the only thing that has captured anybody's imagination recently so I guess that's good.

Regards,

John M. Drake

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The only thing we can do to minimize the media spin is to report on the laptops as the event happens. We could also try to control and maneuver the media through our event. Try to give them an itinerary and see if they follow it (they wont but its worth a try). Keep an eye on agent provocateurs.

There's a lot of ways this can go wrong and only a couple, narrow shots to get it right. No one can assume anything.
    Strength through Knowledge

"What's one more body in the foundations of your Utopia?"
    - This has been a message by Agent CSL.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am pretty sure the more peaceful the rally is the less media attention it will get...

There is always the possibility that much of the media will ignore us. But, it will be hard to ignore the congressional co-sponsors to HCR40 speaking out against the NAU! http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:HC00040:@@@P We plan to invite them to speak at the rally.

Ron Paul was one of the original 6 who co sponsored this resolution. There are now 44. The goal is to get 100. If your rep is not on the above list, contact me and I'll help you with materials and techniques and put you in contact with people to help convince your rep to co-sponsor this much needed legislation.

I took my daughter to a Ralph Nader rally in late 1999 when he was running for president at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I didn't know what to expect.
    When we got there, the line was wrapped around the entire building TWICE to get in. For those of you who have never seen the Garden, it's HUGE. We had to walk nearly a mile to get in.
    The palce sold out for $20 per head and that's how Nader raised a ton of money for his campaign. I think thr place holds like 18,000. We found out later that an overflow crowd of at least 3,000 stayed outside and marched around the building, holding signs, shouting, making noise, playing instruments ect.

Inside, there was Michael Moore, Eddy Vedder or Pearl Jam, Patty Smith, and Ben Harper. Susan Surrandon and Tim Robbins were also there along with Phil Donnahue. All spoke.

The crowd was electric, noisy, and standing on their chairs with fists clenched and raised in the air, and many people had tears ni their eyes as Nader spoke.

We thought this was some kind of historical event. At the very least, news worthy.

When we got home we turned on the TV with a tape in our VHS hopeing to record what came on and maybe even see ourselves. Nothing.

We cued up the VCR again the next day and sat there watching, watching, watching. Nothing. No mention. Nowhere in any newspapers. We did find a three paragraph piece in the NY Times placed back 20or 30 pages.

I'm about to the point where I am willing to fight just as hard to kill the mainstream media power ove rthe course of our elections and to prevent them forever from effecting the outcome of our elections as I am to get Ron Paul elected. This is the issues of the day.

We all should know better than even the Nader supporters the pwoer of the media.

I suggest that kill the power fo the media should be one of our main themes fo this march and if we do, we might be able to recruit the bodies of those in the Green Party, the Libertarian Party who also know about the media's effect on elections, and the Reform, the Constitution, Natural Law and EVERY OTHER third party supporter.

It doesn't matter how much money you can raise unless you can raise literally numerous $BILLIONS (which you can't now becayuse of Insane McCain) to compete with the $Numerous Billions that the chosen candidates get for free every time the media mentions their name.

Huckabee should have been out MONTHS ago and so should have Insane McCain because they didn't have the support to raise enough money. Financial support, especially when your average contribution is only $50.00 like Ron Paul's shows numerical support. LOT's of people support Ron Paul but not enough to make him win primaries. And we all know that a person won't vote for someone who they think doesn't have a chance to win and that they get theidea by how much the candidate is mentioned in the media. WE KNOW IT and SO DO THEY.

There is NO WAY Huckabee or Insane McCain could EVER afford the media coverage they were given for FREE, while Ron Paul was essentially ignored from the time of Dec 17 (the day after we raised $6.5 million in a single day). That's the point the power brokers realized that Ron Paul isn't just getting support from a few internat spamming nut jobs but his support is wide enough to be a threat. Hence the blackout.

One way that we can counter it is for every one of to make a bunch of signs that are issue specific and to place them along the roads on the way to the rally.

There are going to be literally tens if not hundreds fo thousands of us going to that march and we'll be taking literally hundreds of different roads to get there on which MILLIONS of other people willl be traveling and will see them.

No one shouls be able to travel even a half mile on ANY of the roads we take to the march without seeing something about the rally, the control of the media or Ron Paul is still in it signs.

Signs that say look on your news to this rally. If its not mentioned than you know the media is trying to control our elections. Don't let them!!!

We need to battle the media. We need new tactics.

Call into radio talk shows. Come up with a great non Paul related response to the issue and then sneak in Ron Paul is still in the race. The media is trying to give people the impression that he dropped out. By us going gurilla on them and subverting their power to ignore us and Ron Paul and the Constitution we can make a huge impact.

Another tactic is to wherever, whenever possible try to make the media look like scum. Call them scum every time you mention the media. Make it household. Make it popular. Spread it like the crap it is. Make it a bad word like "liberal" is a bad word. It's so bad that even liberals don't like being called liberals so they came up with progressive.

Keep making signs that remind people that Ron Paul is still in it.

Make signs that deride the fradulant candidates and expose themfor what they are. Signs that say Youtube CFR. Promote the CFR candidates. Word will spread fast. Put signs everywhere people. Keep making signs to put along the roads. Do it at night when they can't catch you. Place them in high traffic areas. Put them in trees or high on poles with your ladder where they can't take them down.

MANY of my signs are still up while others have been taken down. People are still seeing the name Ron Paul on their way to work because I placed my signs too high for anyone to take them down.

Now, I am changing my tactics. I am going to the issues. Good One liners that get people's attention.

I am making signs that say "The Military Industrial Complex Supports Hillary. You Should Too"

"Huge Corporations Support Obama You Should Too"

"Barak Not Anti-War. Just Anti-Bush War."

"Let's Stay IN Iraq For 100 Years. Vote Insane McCain 08"

"Vote McCain-Gun Grabber 08?

"Support Corporate Welfare Vote Hillary"

"Support Corporate Welfare Vote Obama"

"Support Corporate Welfare Vote Insane McCain" (I try to call him Insane Mc

Cain as often as I can)

"McCain Never A War He Didn't Like"

"It's Time To Go Communist Vote Obama"

Specific to the Christian vote

"For One World Government Vote Huckabee"

"Jesus and Huckabee. War Hawks Together"

"Would Jesus Nuke Iran? Huckabee Would"

I am talking about HUGE better than bumper stickers that lots of people will start seeing as they go down the road. Its BOUND to have an influence.

"Its Time To Go Marxist Vote Hillary"

Umm, the difference between a few thousand and a few hundred thousand is pretty big. The media will be there despite what the doomsayers here predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shays View Post
    I took my daughter to a Ralph Nader rally in late 1999 when he was running for president at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I didn't know what to expect.
    When we got there, the line was wrapped around the entire building TWICE to get in. For those of you who have never seen the Garden, it's HUGE. We had to walk nearly a mile to get in.
    The palce sold out for $20 per head and that's how Nader raised a ton of money for his campaign. I think thr place holds like 18,000. We found out later that an overflow crowd of at least 3,000 stayed outside and marched around the building, holding signs, shouting, making noise, playing instruments ect.
    You know what, you may have just come up with an actual purpose for this march! Only I wish someone had thought of this sooner. Sure at this point the campaign shouldn't quell the crowd by saying it's going to charge $20 bucks. But that doesn't mean people can't bring a donation. Have some buckets to pass like they did at the million man march. I think of the two rallies we had in Nashville, one was Rand for 500 people and the other was Dr. the good doctor for 1,500. At $20 bucks a pop that could have done some damage locally. I don't know if this rally will happen soon enough for any money raised to do any good though.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Try ignoring 50 million Revolutionaries storming DC

As you can see, the media will twist anything around in their favor. If millions of us march on Washington, they can ignore it, trivialize it, or twist it somehow in their favor by saying anti-war protesters marched on Washington without mentioning it is pro-freedom, small government people who are marching. The liberals will join the march, and our message will be ignored.
    That's exactly why we shouldn't do anything on the march that would tie us to the "known crowd" (i.e. liberals or anti-war people) in a too obvious way. As harsh as it sounds, I'd say leave out peace signs and the buzz word 'liberty'.

There should be some sort of committee set up that works on our appearance to outsiders. "Pacifists marched" and "Liberals marched" can be said in one breath; a short and precise description of the movement is desirable but we shouldn't pick anything too burdened with stereotypes and cliché like "anti-war".

I don't know if it's just me but I always tried to put forward that the message is revolutionary (although much of it really isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent CSL View Post
    The only thing we can do to minimize the media spin is to report on the laptops as the event happens. We could also try to control and maneuver the media through our event. Try to give them an itinerary and see if they follow it (they wont but its worth a try). Keep an eye on agent provocateurs.

There's a lot of ways this can go wrong and only a couple, narrow shots to get it right. No one can assume anything.
    We need to anticipate how the media will ignore, mischaractorize, or lie about any of our events. Then document it, and expose the media as being part of the corrupt Establishment.

The thing is, we can't be nice about it. Call them a bunch of lying cheating thieving bastards, and show the evidence. Make the public aware that WE aren't the ones trying to rip them off and make their lives difficult and miserable. It is the Establishment that is harming them.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two words friend.

Independent Reporting.

If the media ignores us, sfw! They've been doing it all along, and the movement has been finding ways to keep growing and moving forward despite them. News of the march will go viral all over the internet, and if it doesn't get the tv coverage it should, it'll just be further evidence that mainstream media is not the entity of fairness and objectivity it claims to be, but a slave to the self-serving whims of a few big corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Try ignoring 50 million Revolutionaries storming DC
    While I love your optimism that is wishful thinking. If 50 million "revolutionaries" had been willing to donate $10 to the campaign Ron Paul would have owned the airwaves and we wouldn't be in this position. Heck imagine what 50 million precinct leaders could have accomplished.

Regards,

John M. Drake

They can ignore 10,000 people once you get in the high numbers 200K+. They simply can't ignore that many people it's to tough and even if they do word will spread from people talking and blogging about it. This seemed like a good rally but what were planning is on a different scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shays View Post
    No one shouls be able to travel even a half mile on ANY of the roads we take to the march without seeing something about the rally, the control of the media or Ron Paul is still in it signs.

Signs that say look on your news to this rally. If its not mentioned than you know the media is trying to control our elections. Don't let them!!!

You have my respect and my vote for Captain of the "Road Side Banner Riders".

Here's a little success story for you.. back in the 1950's a little roadside souvineer and soup shop had a unique way to advertise it's location. The owner each year would take long trips and at all major intersections (before interstates existed) he'd post on the phone pole a 1x4' wooden arrow with the message "3,021 miles to Kneppers" as that sign was posted in California and he was in Maryland. The message was subtle, but worked great as people would comment on them once they arrived telling the owner they'd seen the signs in Colorado, California, Ohio etc.
    Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
    -Ramblin Randy

We're not sending a message to the American people, we're sending it to the establishment cronies. They'll see it, believe me.
    Carthago Delenda Est

Media will ignore [FILL IN BLANK] just like they did in [FILL IN BLANK]

Any insight(s) in this thread?