Thread: Censored on campus. What law did I violate?

Censored on campus. What law did I violate?

I go to a small campus (1000 students) in Texas. And I had the idea to distribute a Ron Paul flyer (www.manofcommonsense.com) around campus. We are a business school and every day hundreds of Wall Street Journals are available for students to read for free. (It is paid for by part of the students tuition, of which I pay as well). They are stacked at stations around campus.

For ease of distribution, I woke up early this morning, and inserted the flyers behind the front page of each newspaper. I was witnessed by a faculty member who asked what I was doing. She expressed that "it isn't the best way to do that". She didn't tell me not to do it, or to stop doing it.

However, a few hours later, I walked past one of the stations, and all the flyers were removed.

Who am I hurting? What laws did I violate? It was just a piece of paper, a bit of relevant news that is already censored by the media, if students didn't want to read it, they could easily toss it in the trash.

The flyer did not contain the Wall Street Journal name, and clearly has: Paid for by private citizen. So I was not misrepresenting the paper.

The college does not own those papers. Merely the locations at which they are distributed.

I just want to know, why my free speech was censored when it is clearly in the public domain.

I have not yet been confronted by a staff member, but the day is not over...

I would appreciate any ammo I could use in my defense if it does come to that...

I am very disappointed because I did spend over $20 printing up all the flyers
    Last edited by spudea; 02-19-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chances are whomever removed them wasn't doing so out of concern for the Wall Street Journal.

They are simply trying to stop others from learning about Ron Paul and his positions.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    Chances are whomever removed them wasn't doing so out of concern for the Wall Street Journal.

They are simply trying to stop others from learning about Ron Paul and his positions.
    That would be very disappointing for me. Our university constantly speaks about freedom, and benefits of freedom in business. If that is true, I would be in the middle of the empire of hypocrisy.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    That would be very disappointing for me. Our university constantly speaks about freedom, and benefits of freedom in business. If that is true, I would be in the middle of the empire of hypocrisy.
    Welcome to the real world, bucko. Check out who owns the school and follow the money. That always tells the best story.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.