Thread: Becoming a National Delegate in Kentucky -- official document

Becoming a National Delegate in Kentucky -- official document

From the Kentucky Republican Party web page (http://www.rpk.org/):

How to become a Kentucky Delegate to the 2008 Republican Convention

General Overview

• The Republican Party of Kentucky will send 45 delegates and 42 alternates to the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-Saint Paul on September 1- 4, 2008. The number of delegates and alternates to the Republican National Convention is set by the Republican National Committee in accordance with Rule 13 of the Rules of the Republican National Committee.

• 42 delegates are bound proportionally based on the results of the May 20, 2008 primary. The Chairman of the state party, along with the National Committeeman and Committeewoman, serve as unbound delegates – and alternates are not selected for them.

• 24 at large delegates and alternates will be chosen at the State Convention on June 7, 2008 in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

• 18 Congressional District delegates and alternates will be chosen at the six Congressional District Conventions (i.e. 3 delegates per district) held across the state. These are separate events from the State Convention. See the Events Calendar section of the website for more information about convention dates.

• Only registered Republicans are allowed to vote in the primary. A candidate must receive at least 15 percent of the total vote count before being allocated a delegate.

• Any registered Republican who would like to serve as a National Convention delegate should submit a letter to the Republican Party of Kentucky Nominating Committee four days prior to the applicable state or district convention. The letter should state their interest in becoming a delegate and include specific qualifications for holding this position.

RPK Rule - 8.03. Nomination of National Convention Delegates and Alternates:

(a) Any registered Republican who desires to be nominated at either the District or State Convention to be a Delegate or an Alternate Delegate to the National Convention, shall submit a letter which must be received by Republican state headquarters at least four (4) working days before the applicable District or State Convention. Said letter shall be addressed to the Nominating Committee, state the person's interest in becoming a Delegate or Alternate Delegate, and set forth the reasons why they should be considered by the Nominating Committee. The state headquarters staff will immediately convey the would-be nominee's letter to the Nominating Committee of the appropriate convention. No person may be nominated or elected by a District or State Convention to be a Delegate or Alternate Delegate to the National Convention unless this procedure is followed. If an insufficient number of persons thus qualified are elected at the District or State Conventions, the remaining slots will be filled as if they were vacancies which occurred AFTER the State Convention. The Nominating Committee at the District and State Conventions shall consider at least two criteria in selecting Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Convention; namely, (1) the letter received in accordance with this rule, and (2) any current political involvement on behalf of the Republican party and/or Republican candidates at any level.

Per KRS 118.641 - Distribution of authorized delegate vote among party candidates

(1) The political parties in distributing authorized delegate votes among party candidates shall select one (1) of the following methods of distribution:
    (a) The candidates receiving the highest number of votes, provided each candidate receives at least fifteen percent (15%) of the total vote cast by his political party, shall be awarded a pro rata portion of the authorized delegate vote of his political party as follows:
    1. The total vote received by the candidates qualifying under the provisions of KRS 118.551 to 118.651 and subsections herein shall, when combined, be equal to one hundred percent (100%);
    2. Each such candidate shall share in the total percentage in direct proportion to the total vote received by him mathematically determined to be the percentage of the aggregate vote which represents one hundred percent (100%);
    3. Each political party shall appropriate such percentage, as is determined by this section, to the total number of delegate votes as are allotted by the national committee of each party; or
    (b) The candidate receiving the highest number of votes cast by his political party shall be awarded a pro rata portion of the authorized delegate vote of his political party in compliance with the state party rules for that party.

**If you have questions, please contact the Republican Party of Kentucky by phone at (502) 875-5130.

Additional Sources

Republican Party of Kentucky Official Rules:
    http://www.rpk.org/images/KY/rpk_rules_Web.pdf

The Rules Of The Republican National Committee:
    http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4

Official Republican National Convention Website:
    http://www.gopconvention2008.com/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Additional Convention Process Information

Kentucky State Convention Process

State Voting Strength: 45 total delegates
    • 10 base at large ( elected at State Convention)
    • 18 Congressional District (elected at District Conventions)
    • 3 Super delegates (these are members of the KY Republican party who are grandfathered in as delegates
    • 14 bonus (elected at State Convention)

Important Dates

Precinct Conventions, March 8th @ 10AM Local Time—Precinct Conventions take place at your precinct’s polling location (i.e., where you voted the previous November). Or, you can call your county’s Republican party to obtain a Precinct Officer form. Generally, counties have a difficult time filling Precinct Officer positions.

Precinct Conventions have nothing to do with the delegate process; however, if you want to become involved in your county’s Republican party at the most granular level, you may be interested in becoming a Precinct Officer.

County Mass Conventions, March 15 @ 10AM Local Time—County Mass Conventions generally take place at each county’s courthouse; however, this is not always the case. Be sure to check your local news papers or call your county’s Republican party to ensure you know location of your county’s County Mass Convention.

The County Mass Convention has two purposes:
    1. Address County Republican-party business.
    2. Elect Congressional District/State Delegates as well as alternate delegates. Persons who become Congressional District/State Delegates are simply committing to go to their District Convention AND the State Convention and be a VOTER. What you will be voting on at these conventions will include Republican Party business, and most importantly, National Delegates.

To become a delegate or participate in the County Mass Convention, you must be registered as Republican on or before January 29th 2008.

To determine the number of State/District Delegates that your county can elect, divide the total number of 2004 general election Republican votes cast in your county by 400. To find the number of 2004 Republican votes in your county, visit http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...s=21&year=2004.

For example, in 2004, 66,406 Fayette county residents voted Republican (i.e., for Bush). 66,406 divided by 400 equals 166. So, at the Fayette County Mass Convention, Fayette County can elect 166 delegates, who will go to both the State and District Conventions to vote on National Delegates.

If you intend to become a Delegate at the Mass County Convention, please contact your county Republican Office and request a Delegate form. The form must be received by your county’s Republican Office prior to the County Mass Conventions.

Congressional District Conventions April 5th –May 31st (TBD)—There will be 6 Congressional District Conventions in KY, one for each district. The date and time of these conventions are yet to be determined by the Republican State Central Committee (RSCC).

The Congressional District Conventions have two purposes:
    1. Address District Republican-party business.
    2. Elect Republican National Convention Delegates and alternate delegates. Three delegates and three alternate delegates will be elected from each district for a total of 18 delegates and 18 alternate delegates. You may attend and vote at the District Convention if you were elected as a delegate at the County Mass Convention

Kentucky Republican Primary, May 20th: The primary is a closed election for the GOP Presidential Candidate. You can vote in this primary if you are registered as a Republican on or before December 31, 2007, you will turn 18 prior to the November General Election, or you have never registered to vote and register by April 21, 2008.

State Convention, June 7th @ 1:00 PM ET—The State Convention will be held at The Sloan Convention Center in Bowling Green, KY. There will be a $20 Convention Fee.

The purpose of the State Convention is two fold:
    1. Address Kentucky Republican-party business.
    2. Elect National Convention Delegates. Ten (10) at-large delegates and fourteen (14) delegates will be elected at the State Convention.

Becoming a Delegate to the GOP National Convention
    Any registered Republican who desires to be nominated at either the District or State Convention to be a Delegate or an alternate delegate to the National Convention needs to submit a letter to the Republican state headquarters at least four (4) working days before the applicable District or State Convention.

Note: You do not have to be elected as a delegate at your county’s Mass County Convention to seek nomination as a National Delegate.

The letter needs to address Nominating Committee for the State and District Conventions. It should also indicate your interest in becoming a National Delegate or alternate delegate and explain why should considered by the Nominating Committee.

The Nominating Committees will consider at least the following two criteria when selecting Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Convention:
    1. The letter received in accordance with the rules (i.e., 4 days before the applicable convention)
    2. Any current political involvement on behalf of the Republican Party and/or Republican candidates at any level.

The party shall endeavor to have equal representation of men and women in its delegation to the Republican National Convention. However, these provisions are not intended to be the basis of any kind of quota system.

Kentucky Ron Paul Strategy

Perhaps when thinking of the KY Convention process, it is helpful to think of it in the following terms:
    • Delegates elected at the County Mass Conventions are voters
    • National Delegate nominees are candidates
    • The State and District Conventions are elections

Mass County Conventions (Getting as Many Voters as Possible)

It is extremely important that everyone who can become a delegate at the County Mass Conventions. If you are elected as a delegate at your county’s County Mass Convention, you get to go to the State and applicable District Convention to vote on National Delegate Nominees. The more delegates we get here, the more voting power when have at the State/District Conventions.

National Delegate Nominees (Selecting Our Candidates)

Any one interested in being a National Delegate, should write the necessary letter and attempt to be nominated. This is highly recommended!!

However, since this may come down to a credentials war, it might also be a good idea to try and find several individuals, who are already established as members of the KY Republican Party who are willing to support Ron Paul and ask them if they will go through the motions of becoming a National Delegate. This will help to ensure that they get nominated by the Nominating Committees at the District and State Conventions and help ensure that they can win a credentials war if it came down to that.

To be considered as a nominee for National GOP Delegate you do not have to participate in the County Mass Conventions. A letter is all that is necessary.

District/State Conventions (Casting our Votes for Our Candidate)

Those who became delegates or alternate delegates at the County Mass Conventions need to mark their calendars and show up at the State and applicable District Conventions to vote on National Delegate Nominees who will support Ron Paul.

Notes

Precinct Officers: To become a Precinct officer, contact your county’s Republican Party office or the Republican Party in Frankfort to request a Precinct Officer form.

State/District Delegates: If you intend to become a State or District Delegate (elected at the County Mass Convention), contact your county’s Republican office or the Republican Party in Frankfort and request a Delegate Form.

Number of County Delegates Possible: To determine the number of State/District Delegates that your county can elect, divide the total number of 2006 general election Republican votes cast in your county by 400. To find the number of 2004 Republican votes in your county, visit http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...s=21&year=2004

Example: In 2004, 66,406 Fayette county residents voted Republican (i.e., for Bush). 66,406 divided by 400 equals 166. So, at the Fayette County Mass Convention, we can elect 166 delegates to go to the State and District Conventions.

Republican Rules: To view a copy of KY Republican Rules, visit: http://www.rpk.org/images/KY/rpk_rules_Web.pdf

bump. THIS IS SOON!!! NEXT SATURDAY!!!

can we update all this stuff again for this time? We need to be massively organized in every state way ahead of the ball game!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

I just went to the state and county (Fayette/Lexington) website, and neither has been updated since 2010. Heh, is the GOP in this state just dead? Or what? If so, seems like it would be ripe to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    I just went to the state and county (Fayette/Lexington) website, and neither has been updated since 2010. Heh, is the GOP in this state just dead? Or what? If so, seems like it would be ripe to take over.
    Speaking of Kentucky GOP takeover, I always though District 5 would be a good place to try to get a liberty congressperson in office. Hal Rodgers is 74, so I'd think he was planning on retiring soon. If one could win the primary, they could cruise past the Democratic nominee in a heavily republican district.

In Louisville we are having a NH primary results watching party. We are also go over the delegate process, but I cannot find when the dates are for counties. If anyone finds them, please post them.

The Jefferson Republican Party of Kentucky Precinct Caucus/Legislative District Leadership Meeting is Saturday, March 3rd. The Louisville, Kentucky Republican
    leadership convention is at Jefferson County Party Head quarters at 4710 Champions Trace. This is for the Jefferson County, Kentucky GOP only. I will let you know if it is subject to change.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation Jefferson County, Kentucky Republican Full Precinct Caucus/Legislative District Info

Quote Originally Posted by clint4liberty View Post
    The Jefferson Republican Party of Kentucky Precinct Caucus/Legislative District Leadership Meeting is Saturday, March 3rd. The Louisville, Kentucky Republican
    leadership convention is at Jefferson County Party Head quarters at 4710 Champions Trace. This is for the Jefferson County, Kentucky GOP only. I will let you know if it is subject to change.
    http://louisvillegop.com/images/Call...ntion_2012.pdf
    This link above is the full details of the first of the three conventions for reorganization.

Fayette County, Kentucky: Convention (2012)

Here's some info on the upcoming Fayette County GOP convention.

BECOME A RON PAUL DELEGATE

If you would like to become a Ron Paul delegate, contact the Fayette County GOP office (859-227-2850); email Carol Roger, party chairman, (carolrogers@insightbb.com); or email Shirley Wiseman, chairman of the Nominating Committee (kybuilder1@yahoo.com). Ask to have your name placed on the current slate of delegates to the district/state convention.

We are also planning a Paul-only slate of delegates in hopes of voting down the proposed slate and introducing a Paul-Only Slate. If you would like to be added to the list of Paul-Only Delegates, send me a message on this forum and I will make sure your name is added to the list.

I CAN'T EXPRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO ATTEND THE FAYETTE COUNTY CONVENTION AND BRING EVERY PAUL SUPPORTER YOU KNOW!!! (Must be a registered Republican by Oct. 10, 2011 to participate.)

UPCOMING EVENTS (You do not have to be a Precinct Officer to participate at the Fayette County Convention)

Precinct Officer Elections
    WHEN/WHERE - Elections will be held on Saturday, March 3rd at Lafayette High School's cafeteria, 400 Reed Lane in Lexington. Registration will take place from 9:15--9:45. You must be in line by 9:45 to register. Elections will begin at 10:00.

WHO/ WHAT TO BRING- To participate, you must be a Registered Republican voter in Fayette County as of October 10, 2011 (i.e. eligible Republican voter in previous General Election). You must show a government issued photo id. If you have moved from one precinct to another since Oct. 10, you must bring proof of address (current driver’s license, utility bill, etc.)

Fayette County GOP Convention
    WHERE/WHEN The County Mass Convention will be held on Saturday,March 17th at Lafayette High School’s cafeteria, 400 Reed Lane in Lexington. Registration will take place from 9:15-9:45. You must be in line by 9:45 to register. The meeting will begin at 10:00.

WHO –To participate, you must be a Registered Republican voter in Fayette County as of October 10, 2011 (i.e. eligible to vote in the previous General Election). You must show a government issued photo id.
    Last edited by Dunciad; 02-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.

I want to stress that you had to be a registered Republican last October or earlier. This will disqualify people, like me.

Doess anyone know of anyone running to be a delegate in Kenton Co.? If so, please PM me.
    Last edited by samforpaul; 02-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samforpaul View Post
    Doess anyone know of anyone running to be a delegate in Kenton Co.? If so, please PM me.

You might want to send an e-mail to the Fayette Co. Ron Paul meetup at ronpaul-146@meetup.com. There are people from many KY counties on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by samforpaul View Post

I live in Kenton County and would like more info on how to become a delegate for Dr. Paul. Also, I am a registered Republican since before last October. Anything you have to share would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunciad View Post
    You might want to send an e-mail to the Fayette Co. Ron Paul meetup at ronpaul-146@meetup.com. There are people from many KY counties on the list.

Thanks, Dunciad. I sent off an email yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinastokes View Post
    I live in Kenton County and would like more info on how to become a delegate for Dr. Paul. Also, I am a registered Republican since before last October. Anything you have to share would be great. Thanks!
    I don't know if one can still become a delegate for Paul or not. However here is some info I have gleaned:

Precinct elections will be March 10 at the Rodeway Inn, 1931 Dixie Hwy, Ft. Wright
    Registration begins at 10 and ends at 11 AM.
    Must be a registered Republican voter who was eligible to vote in the previous General Elections of Nov. 2011.
    Must provide gov't issued photo id. showing identity and proof of residency upon registration.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's the information I've found out about Kenton county:

Call you Kenton Count Chair/Co-Chair and tell them you would like to be a delegate in the upcoming convention. Don't feel inclined to tell them you are an RP supporter. Here is the contact info:
    Kenton County Chair
    Mr. Greg Shumate (859) 655-6884 (859) 344-1441 gshumate@fbtlaw.com
    Kenton County Vice Chair
    Mrs. Deborah Vaughn (859) 240-9111 (859) 581-4933 debbievaughn@fuse.net

Show up at your Precinct Election and, more importantly, your county convention. Information about those is listed below:

Precinct Elections:
    Kenton County will hold its Precinct Elections on Saturday, March 10 at 10:00 AM local time.
    Location: GOP Headquarters , 1939 Dixie Highway, Suite 419, Fort Wright

County Convention:
    Kenton County will hold its County Convention on Saturday, March 17 at 10:00 AM local time.
    Location: GOP Headquarters , 1939 Dixie Highway, Suite 419, Fort Wright

If you need more help, please feel free to reach out again. I'll do what I can to find some Kenton County contacts for you.

--D

Also...google Robert's Rules. These are the "formal rules" for how the convention will be conducted. Please don't feel intimidated by all the rules but do give them a glance.

Once you are a delegate in Kenton County, you will be eligible to participate your District, and later the State Convention. I look forward to meeting you there!!!!