How to become a Kentucky Delegate to the 2008 Republican Convention
• The Republican Party of Kentucky will send 45 delegates and 42 alternates to the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-Saint Paul on September 1- 4, 2008. The number of delegates and alternates to the Republican National Convention is set by the Republican National Committee in accordance with Rule 13 of the Rules of the Republican National Committee.
• 42 delegates are bound proportionally based on the results of the May 20, 2008 primary. The Chairman of the state party, along with the National Committeeman and Committeewoman, serve as unbound delegates – and alternates are not selected for them.
• 24 at large delegates and alternates will be chosen at the State Convention on June 7, 2008 in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
• 18 Congressional District delegates and alternates will be chosen at the six Congressional District Conventions (i.e. 3 delegates per district) held across the state. These are separate events from the State Convention. See the Events Calendar section of the website for more information about convention dates.
• Only registered Republicans are allowed to vote in the primary. A candidate must receive at least 15 percent of the total vote count before being allocated a delegate.
• Any registered Republican who would like to serve as a National Convention delegate should submit a letter to the Republican Party of Kentucky Nominating Committee four days prior to the applicable state or district convention. The letter should state their interest in becoming a delegate and include specific qualifications for holding this position.
RPK Rule - 8.03. Nomination of National Convention Delegates and Alternates:
(a) Any registered Republican who desires to be nominated at either the District or State Convention to be a Delegate or an Alternate Delegate to the National Convention, shall submit a letter which must be received by Republican state headquarters at least four (4) working days before the applicable District or State Convention. Said letter shall be addressed to the Nominating Committee, state the person's interest in becoming a Delegate or Alternate Delegate, and set forth the reasons why they should be considered by the Nominating Committee. The state headquarters staff will immediately convey the would-be nominee's letter to the Nominating Committee of the appropriate convention. No person may be nominated or elected by a District or State Convention to be a Delegate or Alternate Delegate to the National Convention unless this procedure is followed. If an insufficient number of persons thus qualified are elected at the District or State Conventions, the remaining slots will be filled as if they were vacancies which occurred AFTER the State Convention. The Nominating Committee at the District and State Conventions shall consider at least two criteria in selecting Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Convention; namely, (1) the letter received in accordance with this rule, and (2) any current political involvement on behalf of the Republican party and/or Republican candidates at any level.
Per KRS 118.641 - Distribution of authorized delegate vote among party candidates
(1) The political parties in distributing authorized delegate votes among party candidates shall select one (1) of the following methods of distribution:
(a) The candidates receiving the highest number of votes, provided each candidate receives at least fifteen percent (15%) of the total vote cast by his political party, shall be awarded a pro rata portion of the authorized delegate vote of his political party as follows:
1. The total vote received by the candidates qualifying under the provisions of KRS 118.551 to 118.651 and subsections herein shall, when combined, be equal to one hundred percent (100%);
2. Each such candidate shall share in the total percentage in direct proportion to the total vote received by him mathematically determined to be the percentage of the aggregate vote which represents one hundred percent (100%);
3. Each political party shall appropriate such percentage, as is determined by this section, to the total number of delegate votes as are allotted by the national committee of each party; or
(b) The candidate receiving the highest number of votes cast by his political party shall be awarded a pro rata portion of the authorized delegate vote of his political party in compliance with the state party rules for that party.
**If you have questions, please contact the Republican Party of Kentucky by phone at (502) 875-5130.
Republican Party of Kentucky Official Rules:
The Rules Of The Republican National Committee:
Official Republican National Convention Website: